you know you have a gear buying problem when....

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
when the guy you buy your guitars from just starts ordering stuff for you on spec.....

i was in last week and just made an offhanded comment about how their left handed electric guitar stock was terrible. (one MIM tele, one squire strat, one epi sheraton, one LP 100). that's it. city of one million people. surely i'm not the only lefty with a penchant for high-mid range guitars. i mean, i'm not asking for custom shop relics and 59 historics with fretboards made out of baby's teeth but something decent would be nice. i've had to order most of my guitars.

so now apparently they've stepped up and ordered a whole bunch including an american vintage 52 telecaster in my name. haha. i was bemoaning the fact that fender makes that hot rodded 52 with the minihum in right handed. so they ordered the next best thing.

not that i'm buying it. i can't. but i found it funny. i'm curious to see what gets brought in though. probably nothing really exceptional like a gibson 61 SG reissue or anything.

they should let me work there on saturdays or something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yeah, that's a pretty sad collection for a city that big.

Ya know you have a gear buying problem when your wife is as bad as you are,
    After having our drum kit for a few days, set up upstairs so she can jump on easily, she says, maybe we need another kit so we can have one down here with your gear as well.
    Not that I'm complaining, she could be into jewelry instead I guess. At least she loves useful pretty things.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Oh man,,,,,, now they're going to be hovering all over you the next time you go into the store!

I don't get that in the music store, but a couple of weeks ago I mentioned in a local market that I was a vegetarian and they had very little stuff like tofu and seitan and tempeh, they had tons of it the next time I went in, and they were , " here's more of this and this and this" and they were hovering the next time I went in.
    Be careful what you ask for!

Good luck with your new 52 Tele! :D

BTW, your switcher pedal is back in action between a Deluxe Reverb and a Mesa Boogie and it's working great!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

actually, they all just leave me alone for the most part. i really only deal with one guy and have been since i started playing 12 years ago.

most of the time i feel like an idiot in the music store because i can't really play well so i feel stupid trying things out. so i only really feel comfortable with the one guy because he's played bass for me and had heard all my stuff etc.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    BTW, your switcher pedal is back in action between a Deluxe Reverb and a Mesa Boogie and it's working great!

good to hear. i hope it doesn't leak across channels too much. it's not wired correctly. as you know. i should make you a better one now that i konw so much more.
  • exhausted wrote:
    good to hear. i hope it doesn't leak across channels too much. it's not wired correctly. as you know. i should make you a better one now that i konw so much more.

Actually, it does leak a bit, but it doesn't bother me. I'm not recording with it. Maybe I should open it up and and check it out. I need to learn more about that stuff in pedals. I'm ordering a piece from the do it yourself site you got yours.
    Or I'll send it to you and pay you to change it! Hey man, it's a collector's item!

I don't mind playing in a store. Actually an E or A chord and a couple of riffs and I know if I like an electric. In the store, I think they appreciate a badly played riff from someone who has a job rather than a relentless 20 time repeated speed metal riff from someone with no cash! :)
    Be kind, man
    Actually, it does leak a bit, but it doesn't bother me. I'm not recording with it. Maybe I should open it up and and check it out. I need to learn more about that stuff in pedals. I'm ordering a piece from the do it yourself site you got yours.
    Or I'll send it to you and pay you to change it! Hey man, it's a collector's item!

just needs a couple 3PDT switches and proper x-wiring. i didn't know that at the time.

which pedal did you order from BYOC?
  • exhausted wrote:
    just needs a couple 3PDT switches and proper x-wiring. i didn't know that at the time.

which pedal did you order from BYOC?

3PDT switches. I can probably handle that after I build my two pedals. That'll be a while!
    I went for the tremolo and the equalizer. I lost my old Boss EQ. That was a great piece for fine tuning in different venues and while switching up guitars.
    I'm playing with a brand new band now, and might have use for an EQ again.

The trem looks fairly easy, but the EQ may be tricky.

I think I AM going to wire those pedals so I can tweak them from waist height.

More wires! That's JUST what I need! :D
    Be kind, man