*** Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings NY Fanviews 2/3/22 ***

SeaSea EarthPosts: 2,666
edited February 4 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings
Beacon Theater
New York, NY
February 03, 2022
Show Set list

Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings debut concert
intro music at 9:08
Band Onstage; 9:10
Band Offstage: 11:02

Earthlings Band:
Chris Chaney: Bass
Glen Hansard: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Josh Klinghoffer: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Chad Smith: Drums
Andrew Watt: Guitars, bg vocals

Opening: Glen Hansard

The Earthlings Set List
Intro music: On My Way (from the album Earthling)

01. Drive-(Buck, Berry, Mills, Stipe)
02. Room At The Top-(Petty)
03. Here Comes The Sun-(Harrison)
04. The Haves-(from the album Earthling)
05. I’ll Be Waiting-(Vedder, Hansard) Ed & Glen both sing lead in parts.  (From the Flag Day soundtrack)
(Talks about the three weeks leading to these shows was chaotic.  Covid, weather)
06. Invincible-(from the album Earthling)
07. The Dark-(from the album Earthling)
08. Power Of Right-(from the album Earthling)
(Tells a story about Watt meeting McCready and the advice McCready gave him.  Re: Watt; Ed said we wouldn’t be here without him)
09. Fallout Today-(from the album Earthling)
10. Long Way-(from the album Earthling)
11. Tender Mercies--(Vedder, Hansard) Ed & Glen both sing lead in parts.  (From the Flag Day soundtrack)
(Ed notes the 25th anniversary of Yield and David Bowie’s album Earthling)
12. Wishlist
Content Warning: Ed talks about NY Times interview and the issue of suicide that was discussed in it.
13. Brother The Cloud-(from the album Earthling)
14. Mrs. Mills-(from the album Earthling)
15. Try-(from the album Earthling) w/ Danny Clinch
16.  Chad-O (Chad Smith drum solo)
17. Rose Of Jericho-(from the album Earthling)
18. Porch
Encore Break
19. Precious-(Hynde)
20. Better Man/People Have The Power-(Patti Smith/ Fred Smith)
(Ed was unaware of a curfew. If he has to leave this is the song he wants to play for them)
21. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison)
22. All Along The Watchtower-(Dylan)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!


Thank you, John for the set list & notes.




Post edited by Sea on
«1

Comments

  • nalyd61nalyd61 BostonPosts: 668
    Wow. Great show. Lots of energy from the band. 
    New songs are great live. Ed sounded good. Chad on drums was solid. 
    Glen rocked the open slot
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NYPosts: 6,239
    edited February 4
    I thought the show was amazing. Ed’s voice was really strong. The band had a lot of energy and seemed to be having a great time on stage. I really liked most of the new songs. Of course the crowd got super riled up during the few Pearl Jam songs. Ed told an interesting anecdote about his experience with the New York Times reporter. I am looking forward to seeing them again on Sunday in Newark. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • ragejoeragejoe Agawam MassPosts: 1,410
    Wow…. That was more then I expected more energy more kick ass rock n roll then I assumed an Eddie solo album would have but he chose one hell of a band to go out there with!  Songs were great so interesting personally anyway to hear some of these live before I hear the studio versions come next Friday 

    minus the actual length of the show I walked outta there almost feeling like I left a Pearl Jam show and all in all that was a very pleasant surprise!  Ed did sound great Josh and Andrew were phenomenal on guitar and chad smith was great behind the kit.  Great group of songs And musicians Eddie cooked up for us while we wait to ALL walk into MSG and wherever else in a few months for the whole gang!! 

    Awesome night!  My 41 st PJ/Ed show and they never ever disappoint 
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • PB204344PB204344 Posts: 13
    24 years for yield?
  • Sure seems like a great tight, energized set!

    But no ITW at an EV show is like Aaron Rodgers deciding to run instead of throwing an Hail Mary on a 4th and 35 with no time left and trailing by 6. Gotta use your best weapon!

    Ok, not as much... And I do realize it's and EV and Earthlings tour not an ITW nostalgia tour.  

    Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

  • SmellymanSmellyman AsiaPosts: 4,489
    'no I ain't coming down'

    Love the new version.  Still just as emotional.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPROPosts: 138,784
    AWESOME,THANKS SEA 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 3,822
    Anyone know what time Glen came on for the opener?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • MagnumPJMagnumPJ Posts: 74
    what a great time that was. Ed sounded great. Earthlings were terrific backing band. Chad Smith is awesome.
    New songs we hadn't heard yet were really really good. 
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,838
    Really good show - if anyone is on the fence about catching one of these shows, you should absolutely go (assuming you’re fully vaccinated and not going to be an asshole about the masks). 

    One thing I noticed last night is that Eddie wasn’t drinking. He took a few sips from a red solo cup but I think it was water. No bottle(s) of wine. Perhaps relatedly, he seemed like he was in better shape (and sounded better) than he did at Asbury. 
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,509
    Smellyman said:
    'no I ain't coming down'

    Love the new version.  Still just as emotional.
    New version?  Please explain.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HOU-->PDX-->KCPosts: 35,991
    mvw said:
    Smellyman said:
    'no I ain't coming down'

    Love the new version.  Still just as emotional.
    New version?  Please explain.
    I wasn't there...just a guess.

    Judging by the lyrics, I'm guessing this a reference to the amazing Tom Petty song, Room At The Top. It's a heavy song & I imagine the emotions were high on that one. One of my favorite Petty songs, actually. Hope a video pops up of them playing it. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NYPosts: 3,109
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Anyone know what time Glen came on for the opener?
    Scheduled for 7:30 but came on at 8:00. Quick set - ended at 8:30.

    If you are asking because you want to skip him - don’t. He really brought it - SO much energy and heart. New respect.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 3,822
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Anyone know what time Glen came on for the opener?
    Scheduled for 7:30 but came on at 8:00. Quick set - ended at 8:30.

    If you are asking because you want to skip him - don’t. He really brought it - SO much energy and heart. New respect.
    Thanks!  No I dont want to skip, just wanted to make sure I didnt miss it!
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • ontheroadontheroad Posts: 231
    Curious to hear more of what Ed had to say about the NYT interview. 

    Caught a clip of Invincible. Liked it. A combination of Byrne, People Have the Power and a PJ improv from 2003 (the end of invincible especially) that I can’t place at the moment. 
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • SmellymanSmellyman AsiaPosts: 4,489
    mvw said:
    Smellyman said:
    'no I ain't coming down'

    Love the new version.  Still just as emotional.
    New version?  Please explain.

    Sorry.  I wasn't there.  Just saw it on Youtube.  Played it mellow, but brought it up tempo for uplifting moments too.  Different than Petty, different from Ed at Oscars,  I just thought it sounded great.
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,509
    mfc2006 said:
    mvw said:
    Smellyman said:
    'no I ain't coming down'

    Love the new version.  Still just as emotional.
    New version?  Please explain.
    I wasn't there...just a guess.

    Judging by the lyrics, I'm guessing this a reference to the amazing Tom Petty song, Room At The Top. It's a heavy song & I imagine the emotions were high on that one. One of my favorite Petty songs, actually. Hope a video pops up of them playing it. 
    My favorite Petty song for sure.  I was just wondering if Eddie changed the lyrics.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,740
    Sounds like a great show.  I really hope he sprinkles in some ITW tracks at some of the shows.  Surprising to see he played zero last night.
  • I have a slightly different opinion of last night. I thought the new songs sounded good and the covers solid but felt the band was suffering from lack of warm up practice sessions as it sounded like Covid hit and blew up the last three weeks. Ed seemed gassed by the end of the show. Sounded great early but felt the tightness drifted as the night went on. I really missed Mike, Jeff, Stone, and Matt during those PJ songs. Especially McCready. I think I had some weird feelings seeing someone else play lead guitar as I got a little defensive. I know that's a me thing.

    Anyway, good news is the new songs rock.
  • cuseoscarcuseoscar Posts: 114
    Last night rocked!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 11,583
    I have a slightly different opinion of last night. I thought the new songs sounded good and the covers solid but felt the band was suffering from lack of warm up practice sessions as it sounded like Covid hit and blew up the last three weeks. Ed seemed gassed by the end of the show. Sounded great early but felt the tightness drifted as the night went on. I really missed Mike, Jeff, Stone, and Matt during those PJ songs. Especially McCready. I think I had some weird feelings seeing someone else play lead guitar as I got a little defensive. I know that's a me thing.

    Anyway, good news is the new songs rock.

    Definitely some rust.  Watt got lost a couple times, Ed forgot the lyrics. But for me that adds to the experience, it somehow makes it more real. Call me crazy, but I almost wish they skipped the PJ songs in favor of ITW or other covers. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 32,698
    sounds awesome. 
    I think I'll move to Australia


  • RD81760RD81760 Posts: 117
    Get_Right said:
    I have a slightly different opinion of last night. I thought the new songs sounded good and the covers solid but felt the band was suffering from lack of warm up practice sessions as it sounded like Covid hit and blew up the last three weeks. Ed seemed gassed by the end of the show. Sounded great early but felt the tightness drifted as the night went on. I really missed Mike, Jeff, Stone, and Matt during those PJ songs. Especially McCready. I think I had some weird feelings seeing someone else play lead guitar as I got a little defensive. I know that's a me thing.

    Anyway, good news is the new songs rock.

    Definitely some rust.  Watt got lost a couple times, Ed forgot the lyrics. But for me that adds to the experience, it somehow makes it more real. Call me crazy, but I almost wish they skipped the PJ songs in favor of ITW or other covers. 
    Totally agree, playing PJ with a full backing band that's not PJ is extremely odd
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,838
    edited February 4
    RD81760 said:
    Get_Right said:
    I have a slightly different opinion of last night. I thought the new songs sounded good and the covers solid but felt the band was suffering from lack of warm up practice sessions as it sounded like Covid hit and blew up the last three weeks. Ed seemed gassed by the end of the show. Sounded great early but felt the tightness drifted as the night went on. I really missed Mike, Jeff, Stone, and Matt during those PJ songs. Especially McCready. I think I had some weird feelings seeing someone else play lead guitar as I got a little defensive. I know that's a me thing.

    Anyway, good news is the new songs rock.

    Definitely some rust.  Watt got lost a couple times, Ed forgot the lyrics. But for me that adds to the experience, it somehow makes it more real. Call me crazy, but I almost wish they skipped the PJ songs in favor of ITW or other covers. 
    Totally agree, playing PJ with a full backing band that's not PJ is extremely odd
    Especially since they were straight bar band covers. It would have been cool if they had a different arrangement or approach for some Pearl Jam tracks - especially some less-played ones - but I could have done without the straight up covers of common songs. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,740
    Yeah the PJ covers may have been better suited for just Ed to perform.  I don't want to see them removed from setlists, but losing the band for those wouldn't upset me.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NYPosts: 6,239
    ontheroad said:
    Curious to hear more of what Ed had to say about the NYT interview. 

    Caught a clip of Invincible. Liked it. A combination of Byrne, People Have the Power and a PJ improv from 2003 (the end of invincible especially) that I can’t place at the moment. 
    He was talking about how the interview became more conversational when the reporter shared that someone he was close to committed suicide. Ed appreciated his sharing that with him. He also said that he was unaware they were going to add a link to the suicide prevention hotline, and he was happy that they included that.

  • tdawe said:
    RD81760 said:
    Get_Right said:
    I have a slightly different opinion of last night. I thought the new songs sounded good and the covers solid but felt the band was suffering from lack of warm up practice sessions as it sounded like Covid hit and blew up the last three weeks. Ed seemed gassed by the end of the show. Sounded great early but felt the tightness drifted as the night went on. I really missed Mike, Jeff, Stone, and Matt during those PJ songs. Especially McCready. I think I had some weird feelings seeing someone else play lead guitar as I got a little defensive. I know that's a me thing.

    Anyway, good news is the new songs rock.

    Definitely some rust.  Watt got lost a couple times, Ed forgot the lyrics. But for me that adds to the experience, it somehow makes it more real. Call me crazy, but I almost wish they skipped the PJ songs in favor of ITW or other covers. 
    Totally agree, playing PJ with a full backing band that's not PJ is extremely odd
    Especially since they were straight bar band covers. It would have been cool if they had a different arrangement or approach for some Pearl Jam tracks - especially some less-played ones - but I could have done without the straight up covers of common songs. 
    In fairness, Wishlist seemed like an impromptu Yield anniversary pick and Betterman was a pre-PJ Ed tune. I think it was was just Porch which I guess was an opportunity for Andrew Watt to play PJ Guitar Hero for one. I think I am just suffering from realizing how much I miss the whole band.
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,474
    It was really clear that this new band was happy to be playing live and enjoyed playing together.
    Not the same energy as a PJ show at all. Even on songs like Porch and Wishlist the chemistry was different. The sound didn’t seem as layered, nor the instruments as clearly discernible, kinda just like a big mash up of guitars. Maybe it’s b/c of where I was sitting but I felt like there was too much reverb or bass at times in the mix. That being said, Ed gave it his all as he always does, and his voice was strong.
    Everyone in the balcony stayed seated for almost the whole show and that was a bit of a buzz kill, but I had a good time, saw some old friends and will be back in the crowd tonight and Sunday.

    The view from the top:




  • saw9saw9 Posts: 12
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Anyone know what time Glen came on for the opener?
    Glen at 8, he did like 25 minute
    Ed was supposed to come in at 9 but was 10 mins late
    11 curfew
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NYPosts: 6,239
    edited February 4
    They seemed surprised there was a curfew. I wonder what song(s) may have been left out.

Sign In or Register to comment.