Gear used during recording of Riot Act

KatKat Posts: 4,842
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Reposted from Synergy - PJ Gears Up

November 12, 2002
Gear Update

Available for downloading is a PDF file of my personal Riot Act studio notes, which I kept/compiled throughout the recording of the new album. It contains general information on tunings, guitars and amps used, effects pedals, and a few other miscellaneous items about what Stone, Mike, Jeff, Ed, and sometimes Matt, used to record Riot Act. I think the fans and/or musicians who are interested in the recording process will really enjoy being able to know which specific pieces of equipment the band used to create each song, particularly as they’re listening to the new material for the first time.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any drum-related information on Matt Cameron to the drumming fans out there. No specific notes were kept on his drum or cymbal usage during the recording. I can tell you, however, in general Matt uses Vic Firth drumsticks, Remo drum heads, Yamaha drums and hardware, Zildjian cymbals, and Keplinger snare drums.

Please keep in mind these notes were kept during the recording for my own personal reference as the band worked through the material and have had very little “fixing up”. It is what it is - relatively raw information assembled in my own somewhat cryptic logic; you’re on your own in translating this information for your own understanding. Please do not email the Rumor Pit or Pearl Jam Ten Club with questions pertaining to your understanding of this information – no technical support will be made available.

I sincerely hope you find this information interesting, and it benefits the great many dedicated Pearl Jam fans and fellow musicians in their appreciation for the music that was collectively written, created, and developed by your favorite band. Enjoy the music!

Please note: Adobe Acrobat Reader version 5.0 or higher is required for viewing of this document – it will not display in earlier versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader To download a FREE copy of Adobe Acrobat 5.x, please use the following link:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Then see...
http://forums.pearljam.com/misc/pjgearriot2.pdf

Please enjoy...

G
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Would it be possible to have the effects used listed as well? :D
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • jdesko23jdesko23 Posts: 32
    Originally posted by El_Kabong
    Would it be possible to have the effects used listed as well? :D

arent they at the bottom of the page???
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Originally posted by yellowpearljam
    arent they at the bottom of the page???

are they?? I didn't see them maybe i missed them
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • jdesko23jdesko23 Posts: 32
    Originally posted by El_Kabong
    are they?? I didn't see them maybe i missed them

i havent looked for a while but i think they were in like a orangish box or somethin that listed them
  • This is cool! I wonder how often Mike and Stone turn on a stompbox during their songs?
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • for some reason i cant view
    would they by any chance have the tuning for thumbing my way in it,
    i dont think its standard thanks
    "thiers still time to escape, youve got time to escape
    thiers still time so escape,,,,
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • rickprickp Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Pearljunky
    Cool stuff Kat.
    Wondering if you remember what mic-preamp-compressor combination was used for Ed's voice? and
    What mixing desk was used for the mix?
    Thanks,

Kat didn't compile the information.. George Webb did. And they don't have that info

for some reason i cant view
    would they by any chance have the tuning for thumbing my way in it,
    i dont think its standard thanks

they have it.. you need the absolute latest version of Adobe Acrobrat to read it.. and it's standard. what else would it be?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    just for the record. Pearl Jam uses Blue mic's for recording. Preamp and compressors are various I'm sure however Jeff has an Avalon compressor in his rig, I would not doubt that they use some kind of tube preamp and tube compression.

Live they use Audix OM-5 vocal mics.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Correction: Live, they use Audix OM7 vocal mics.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I stand corrected, OM-7's the OM-5's are older.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    Nilla Waffers for EVERYONE!!
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    I would love some definitive and accurate information on matt cameron's gear. anyone?
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Matt's setup? No problem...

He uses...

1. 14 x 7 Keplinger snare
    2. 12 x 8 rack tom
    3. 13 x 9 rack tom
    4. 16 x 16 floor tom
    5. 18 x 18 floor tom
    6. 24 x 16 bass drum

And his actual drum kit is made by Ayotte Custom Drums...

His symbols are Zildjian

A. 15" K HiHats
    B. 19" Z Custom Medium Crash
    C. 21" A Sweet Ride
    D. 18" Z Rock Crash
    E. 20" A Custom Ride

And he uses Remo Heads...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • I thought Matt played Yamaha drums?
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I thought Matt played Yamaha drums?

maybe for show. I remember Matt playing Ayotte drums with Soundgarden on the down on the upside tour in 96. Always Keplinger snares.
  • Yeah, that snare is amazing... I got a closer look at the show here, and it really is just a beautiful piece. I wouldn't doubt he uses something a bit better for studio work, and who knows, maybe he went with Yamaha for a different sound for the PJ stuff. Ayotte kits are pretty damned nice... although I prefer DW or Orange County Percussion for high-end stuff.
    Yeah, that snare is amazing... I got a closer look at the show here, and it really is just a beautiful piece. I wouldn't doubt he uses something a bit better for studio work, and who knows, maybe he went with Yamaha for a different sound for the PJ stuff. Ayotte kits are pretty damned nice... although I prefer DW or Orange County Percussion for high-end stuff.

yeah but once you get floating wood rims to make sure of proper tuning it's all gravy. It also helps that your drum tech's last name is Keplinger. I like DW's and Orange County too but I've never played an ayotte, not that I can really play drums anyhow yet.
  • Floating heads are pretty sweet... my friend has a Pearl piccolo with a floating head, and it is the brightest, most articulate snare I've ever heard. It put me in the market for a piccolo pretty quick. My Sonor snare is okay, but it just doesn't have that nice, dry 'crack' that I want. I'll keep the old wood Sonor snare for a spare, but I need to get a good piccolo.
    Floating heads are pretty sweet... my friend has a Pearl piccolo with a floating head, and it is the brightest, most articulate snare I've ever heard. It put me in the market for a piccolo pretty quick. My Sonor snare is okay, but it just doesn't have that nice, dry 'crack' that I want. I'll keep the old wood Sonor snare for a spare, but I need to get a good piccolo.

I'd love to find a mini version of a marching snare with a kevlar head. Talk about bright and articulate.
  • Well, yeah, but there's a reason that great drummers don't play CB Percussion kits, too.

And I wasn't saying that any one kit was better than any other... I mean, would Bonham play an Ayotte? No. Are they still good kits? Yes. I just have my preferences... as does anybody.
    Originally posted by diffstroke
    Matt Cameron has used what appears to be either a Yamaha Birch or Maple Custom Absolute...the yamaha website, and a Matt Cameron fan site says birch. Both are lovely sounding super high quality kits. It's hard to say what gear was used to record Riot Act. I've seen photos in the album booklet, w/ Matt using Yamaha...I saw tenclub.com photos of him playing his Ayotte kit in rehearsal...and I also saw some photos w/ a miked up DW kit that might be an older ones he used for some of the tracking. As far as snares and cymbals go...your guess is as good as mine. I do know that Cameron has used and endorsed Keplinger stainless steel snare drums for the longest time. They kick serious ass! The sound is evident on Riot Act...although knowing him and the sound....there are probably a few other snares as well.

You can see the Tony Williams influence a lot in the sizes of the drums Matt chooses. What a monster drummer! All of the kits mentioned above are all very well made and of the highest quality. To say that dw is better than ayotte, or better than yamaha, or orange county is better than all of them--would be incorrect. Matt gets his sound by playing the best drums for HIM. Also, I think that he would agree w/ me when I say that the biggest factor in getting a drumsound given the same relative level of quality in a drum kit (dw, ayotte, yamaha)... is the PLAYER-- that delivers the tone....his/her hands and technique and feel are what matter most.

same with anything skill oriented. I agree. Mike McCready can make a bad chinese Strat sound like God is playing it.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    same with anything skill oriented. I agree. Mike McCready can make a bad chinese Strat sound like God is playing it.

Well, McCready is God...

I don't know why I have to keep reminding people of this.
  • Mike & Stone no longer using those Savage Audio Blitz combos??

I tried out a few of those Savage amps. They're some of the best sounding amps I've ever tried.

If these Trentino amps wound up being the replacements, they must be straight from the gods.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Originally posted by PintoMusic
    Mike & Stone no longer using those Savage Audio Blitz combos??

I tried out a few of those Savage amps. They're some of the best sounding amps I've ever tried.

If these Trentino amps wound up being the replacements, they must be straight from the gods.

yeah Sal Trentino. Well respected tone guru amp master guy.

Savage also wonderful fantastic amps built like a tank. The Trentino is able to accept virtually any tube much like the THD UNIvalve. Enabling you the flexibility to virtually have any flavor you want in a tube amp.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    The Trentino is able to accept virtually any tube much like the THD UNIvalve. Enabling you the flexibility to virtually have any flavor you want in a tube amp.

Damned nice feature... does it auto-bias, or do you need to adjust it?
    not sure on the trentino. Usually there is either an external bias point or the amp auto biases.

look at David Barbers new amp for an example, http://www.barberelectronics.com
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

Oh my god, they make chinese strats??? I need to go buy one!

; )

I'm just trying to be funny, anyways...does anybody know how much one of the trentino's goes for? I'm guessing a grand or two.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    Originally posted by WiLL75
    Oh my god, they make chinese strats??? I need to go buy one!

; )

I'm just trying to be funny, anyways...does anybody know how much one of the trentino's goes for? I'm guessing a grand or two.

First you'd have to get Sal to make one for you. I'd say $3500 possibly even $5,000

The Savages that Stone used are quite pricey as well but built about as well as you can build an amp.
  • Originally posted by WiLL75
    does anybody know how much one of the trentino's goes for? I'm guessing a grand or two.

Yeah, for parts, maybe...

Shit, a stock Marshall JTM 45 reissue goes for $1,200. That's a factory-built mass-produced machine-wired job with cheap wood. Single channel, 6 valves, internal manual bias, no FX. The Trentino is a custom hand-built, hand-wired, one-off design with great wood, hand-built chassis, two discrete channels (basically two separate amps) with tremelo and reverb.

I say $4,000 or higher.

Of course, a vintage Fender Vibro Champ goes for $200-400. Not bad in comparison...
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Yeah, for parts, maybe...

Shit, a stock Marshall JTM 45 reissue goes for $1,200. That's a factory-built mass-produced machine-wired job with cheap wood. Single channel, 6 valves, internal manual bias, no FX. The Trentino is a custom hand-built, hand-wired, one-off design with great wood, hand-built chassis, two discrete channels (basically two separate amps) with tremelo and reverb.

I say $4,000 or higher.

Of course, a vintage Fender Vibro Champ goes for $200-400. Not bad in comparison...

I was WAY off. My '73 bassman will just have to do for now, oh how will I make it out there with just the bassman...with it's warm
    lovely tone. ; )

Ok so some pedals. then the '57 reissue strat, then the tretino, THEN, finally, years later, a les paul. ; )
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com