Eddie Vedder - NY Times Magazine Q&A

Comments

• nalyd61nalyd61 Posts: 722
    Well I guess Ed and I can’t agree on everything. 
    Big fan of Motley Crue. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,536
    nalyd61 said:
    Big fan of Motley Crue. 
    so is Jeff. haha (they were listed on his "belongs in the RRHOF" shirt)
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 558
    Like anything. Dont trust reviews/others opinion. Form your own. I felt it was a very insightful, deep interview. And he did kind of finally with the reporter pressing put the Cobain intrigue to rest. They were casual friends, as he said in article saying anymore would be disingenuous. Stern Interview, Bill Simmons Interview, Audible Interview and this... we've learned so much!
  • What did he say about Mötley Crüe ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • raindog80raindog80 Posts: 1,158
    edited February 2022
    What did he say about Mötley Crüe ?
    “You know, I used to work in San Diego loading gear at a club. I’d end up being at shows that I wouldn’t have chosen to go to — bands that monopolized late-’80s MTV. The metal bands that — I’m trying to be nice — I despised. “Girls, Girls, Girls” and Mötley Crüe: [expletive] you. I hated it. I hated how it made the fellas look. I hated how it made the women look. It felt so vacuous.”
    “Guns N’ Roses came out and, thank God, at least had some teeth. But I’m circling back to say that one thing that I appreciated was that in Seattle and the alternative crowd, the girls could wear their combat boots and sweaters, and their hair looked like Cat Power’s and not Heather Locklear’s — nothing against her. They weren’t selling themselves short. They could have an opinion and be respected. I think that’s a change that lasted. It sounds so trite, but before then it was bustiers. The only person who wore a bustier in the ’90s that I could appreciate was Perry Farrell.”
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • raindog80 said:
    What did he say about Mötley Crüe ?
    “You know, I used to work in San Diego loading gear at a club. I’d end up being at shows that I wouldn’t have chosen to go to — bands that monopolized late-’80s MTV. The metal bands that — I’m trying to be nice — I despised. “Girls, Girls, Girls” and Mötley Crüe: [expletive] you. I hated it. I hated how it made the fellas look. I hated how it made the women look. It felt so vacuous.”
    “Guns N’ Roses came out and, thank God, at least had some teeth. But I’m circling back to say that one thing that I appreciated was that in Seattle and the alternative crowd, the girls could wear their combat boots and sweaters, and their hair looked like Cat Power’s and not Heather Locklear’s — nothing against her. They weren’t selling themselves short. They could have an opinion and be respected. I think that’s a change that lasted. It sounds so trite, but before then it was bustiers. The only person who wore a bustier in the ’90s that I could appreciate was Perry Farrell.”
    YOUR INVITED (BUT YOUR FRIEND EDDIE VEDDER CAN'T COME)

https://youtu.be/-qBg1cWpaEE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianlux said:
    My sister sent me this article.  This was how I responded to her with my thoughts:
    Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam are a huge frustration for me.  First of all, I've tried to appreciate their work over the last several years of their career but have found their last several albums to be a disappointment.  It seems a bit ironic to me that Vedder mentions two lesser known bands- Dead Moon and Fugazi- as being some of his favorites.  These days, I'm much more a fan of Dead Moon (now defunct since the passing of Fred Cole at age 69 a few years ago) and find Fugazi more compelling despite being less melodic and more difficult to listen to.  What Vedder loves about those bands- things like the "ritual, the sweat, and the love"- are what has gone missing from a lot of Pearl Jam's work these last several years.  Maybe I'm expecting too much for artists to maintain their youthful exuberance, but then Dean Moon never lost it and Ian McKaye of Fugazi has always continued to push to the edge of creativity.  Pearl Jam, on the other hand, got rich and famous (not a sin in of itself), but lost their edge in the comfort of fame and fortune.  
    One of the things I liked about Pearl Jam in the past was their activism.  That seems to have all but disappeared.  Vedder mentioned their earlier efforts at environmentalism and when I read that, my mind went right to this photo I recently saw of him standing next to his private jet.  A lot of fans besides me have found that hugely disingenuous and hypocritical.   When Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and Nils Lofgren all pulled their music from Spotify in order to not share a platform with popular podcast host Joe Rogan who has been spreading false information about COVID, I was hoping Pearl Jam would follow suit.  They did not. 
    So basically I see Vedder and Pearl Jam as having lost their edge and given in to the lures of fame.
    But the fact that this interview brought out some of those points and Vedder seems to be aware of the contradictions at least leaves me with a little hope that he will return to those roots he seems to so love.  You never know.
    Thanks for the article.  It obviously got me thinking!

Their activism has disappeared? What are you talking about? I guess you forgot about the millions they raised with the Home Shows to fight homelessness or the millions they raised for EB research or Jeff with the skate parks, etc etc etc. What are you even talking about? I hope your sister corrected you. Do some research before you text your sister. Also Gigaton is incredible, not sure how you call that a disappointment. 
  • THEBIBLEISTEN said:

Do some research before you text your sister. Also Gigaton is incredible, not sure how you call that a disappointment. 
    "Incredible" implies it is on the level of Neil Young's Harvest Moon, Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes or Leonard Cohen's The Future which is it not.

Please come back with a better word.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,773
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

Do some research before you text your sister. Also Gigaton is incredible, not sure how you call that a disappointment. 
    "Incredible" implies it is on the level of Neil Young's Harvest Moon, Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes or Leonard Cohen's The Future which is it not.

It is incredible 
    I miss igotid88
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

I'm in agreement with you on this. I haven't listened to Gigaton outside of the month when it came out.  It is the only album by PJ that I only have on digital and the only album of theirs I don't really listen to.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,314
    static111 said:
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

I'm in agreement with you on this. I haven't listened to Gigaton outside of the month when it came out.  It is the only album by PJ that I only have on digital and the only album of theirs I don't really listen to.
    I’m with you. I never have the urge to throw it on. It’s crazy how some people can’t come to terms with that. I have no problem with someone telling me it’s their favorite PJ album, but get some crazy comments here when I voiced my distaste for it. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

I’m with you. I never have the urge to throw it on. It’s crazy how some people can’t come to terms with that. I have no problem with someone telling me it’s their favorite PJ album, but get some crazy comments here when I voiced my distaste for it. 
    It's my favorite since yield but to each their own.  It'll be interesting to see how the new songs translate live.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    I like Gigaton. It's my favorite since Riot Act. Maybe.

I'm just saying that anything above "really great" and anything below "good" is hyperbole. 

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,314
    mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

It's my favorite since yield but to each their own.  It'll be interesting to see how the new songs translate live.  
    I’m hoping live shows will make me like the album more. One song I was very impressed with from last years shows was retrograde. I thought it actually made for a great opener. 
  • nalyd61 said:
    Big fan of Motley Crue. 
    so is Jeff. haha (they were listed on his "belongs in the RRHOF" shirt)
    Doesn't mean he is a big fan though :)

JOHN CAROBI GOT ROBBED!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

Anyone who doesn't like Riot Act does not get a vote on this.  ;)

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,773
    mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

Check Ohana and Sea Hear Now 
    I miss igotid88
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889

I'm just saying that anything above "really great" and anything below "good" is hyperbole. 

I really dig DOTC but everything else falls flat.  Hopefully once I see some of the rest live it will change my mind.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111 said:

I really dig DOTC but everything else falls flat.  Hopefully once I see some of the rest live it will change my mind.
    I ddon't have a problem with DOTC isolated, and as a single. But when it comes (song 3?) on the album it just kills the album in it's tracks being so different and "80s sterile" and dead sounding.

Sould have gotten a more... organic sounding album mix/version or not been included on that specific album.
  • THEBIBLEISTEN said:

It’s in no way a disappointment and yes I think it’s incredible, great, awesome. I like it a lot and  I don’t compare this record to tori Amos, are u high? Strange retort. 
  • bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 144
    Valid yet subjective points all around on what newer albums being worthy of Cohen status or national album burning aside, let's get back on target with the NY times article. Yes, David Marchese seemed to be prying on Kurt info. However, not all people reading up on Eddie in the NYT have read as many articles as we fanatics have. Vast majority of the world will always associate the 2 singers together, even 30 years later. There's more important things to get verklempt about. To be fair David is well regarded getting answers from interviewees other folks in his industry aren't able to. I enjoyed it and have to say, this is the most open I've seen Eddie in a big publication such as the NYTs since the Rolling Stones cover story in 2006. It's not everyday where the interviewer becomes the interviewee. Where the conversation went for 'Brother The Cloud' was touching. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    My mom sent me this article. It’s definitely making the rounds.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    igotid88 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    THEBIBLEISTEN said:

Check Ohana and Sea Hear Now 
    I was at sea hear now and I liked what I heard but really can’t make a decision based on one show where the songs were played for the first time.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    These were my favs of Eds expressions...

Love the simili. Love that he painted us a song again

Lovely. Also evokes Dutch oven opposite thoughts?

This. He circles back to this though about getting g out of the way. For me, this experience is Heroes. If ya know, ya know.

• WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 558
    I feel like Gigaton's time has passed. Maybe two songs on next/delayed tour, but not great memories of the time that record came out. Takes me back to the beginning of COVID. ugh. Not to say it wasn't great music. Some really great songs, but right now, if I were to see them tomorrow I'd want to hear anything and do everything to enjoy PJ and not have anything COVID era to make me think back!
  • You made your new album with a young producer who has had pop success. You’ve also got these older legends on it. The fact that you reached both forward and backward generationally for your collaborators made me wonder: Have you been thinking about how to attract listeners beyond Pearl Jam fans? And I know the humble answer would be, “I’m happy if anybody listens,” but I’d rather hear the honest answer than the humble one.

Haha! What a great start.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    Why is an american nerwspaper cencoring swear words in an interview?

If he would’ve totally embraced all that stuff, it might have made me think, like, you better embrace this [expletive], too

HAHA. What the fuck even is that! 

• Great interview. Should have been twice as long.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Agree with those who like the interview. Unconventional, but very insightful. Ed actually turned the tables and interviewed the interviewer a couple of times, so it felt more like eavesdropping on a private conversation in places.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,536
    and it was the interviewER that had to pull Ed back because what Ed was asking was too hard to answer. how ironic. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com