Current News (non political)

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
A place for current and informative info

Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    A fear of mine every time I am stuck on a bridge in traffic.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596

Amazing no one was killed.  (Only problem here is the mention of Biden does make it a little bit political).

Same here!  I hate it when that happens. 
    There is a large overpass on Missouri Flat Rd. a few miles from here that crossed U.S. 50.  We use that road frequently it's not uncommon to get stuck on the middle of the overpass.  The damn thing is built to absorb stress which is probably actually a good thing but when you are stuck on it you can feel it undulate.  I keep thinking that movement will be like when you bend a paper clip back and forth several times.  You know, of course, what will eventually happen!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Amazing no one was killed.  (Only problem here is the mention of Biden does make it a little bit political).

Same here!  I hate it when that happens. 
    There is a large overpass on Missouri Flat Rd. a few miles from here that crossed U.S. 50.  We use that road frequently it's not uncommon to get stuck on the middle of the overpass.  The damn thing is built to absorb stress which is probably actually a good thing but when you are stuck on it you can feel it undulate.  I keep thinking that movement will be like when you bend a paper clip back and forth several times.  You know, of course, what will eventually happen!
    Good point.  My intention is just news.  The bill just passed I doubt the money is flowing.  Lol.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Here come the red flag conspiracy theory posts
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Pretty much every bridge in the “city of bridges”
    needs repair/replaced and has for years and years.  No conspiracy about that. Surprised it hasn’t happened more often.  
    Question:  Are conspiracy theories considers apolitical?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    brianlux said:
    Question:  Are conspiracy theories considers apolitical?
    not when 99.999% of them come from one side of the spectrum
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Fun fact about the Brooklyn Bridge: They never reached bedrock on the Manhattan side (too much sickness and death among the sandhogs), so that side's huge tower basically rests upon a giant sandbar. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    dankind said:
    Fun fact about the Brooklyn Bridge: They never reached bedrock on the Manhattan side (too much sickness and death among the sandhogs), so that side's huge tower basically rests upon a giant sandbar. 
    That's wild! If sea levels increase that could be a disaster. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Have any of you been stuck on a bridge during traffic?  It feels like an earthquake.

If you've never felt an earthquake, that moving of the ground around you on that bridge is exactly what an earthquake feels like.

You're welcome.
    Years ago, a naturalist and teacher friend of mine explained how birds are one of the best bio-indicators of the health of the planet.  This article talks about that and how severe those indications are to our future.  Not a very cheery subject, but one we would do well to keep focused on and to take action to alleviate the difficulties of the coming years. 

Birds are remarkable and beautiful animals – and they’re disappearing from our world

In the past half century, North America has lost a fourth of its birds. Earth is now a coalmine, and every wild bird is a canary

Real lucky no one died or any serious injuries.  I’ve been stuck on the ambassador bridge between Detroit and Windsor and when you get all those semi’s rolling on there, that’s a lot of weight for a bridge 90 plus years old…a new bridge is currently being built…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I read one time that people use NyQuil as a sleep aid…but I think it’s hard on the kidney (I think that what was read), not really sure how tasty NyQuil and chicken would…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Real lucky no one died or any serious injuries.  I’ve been stuck on the ambassador bridge between Detroit and Windsor and when you get all those semi’s rolling on there, that’s a lot of weight for a bridge 90 plus years old…a new bridge is currently being built…
    Two more bridges in pittsburgh shut down.  Won’t be surprised if there’s no way to cross the rivers once they get done really inspecting all of them