Seattle 1995 Setlist Mystery

hd1072hd1072 Posts: 162
Hey there PJ detectives,

Was wondering if anyone could solve a setlist mystery. Different sources provide different setlist orders for the February 5, 1995 show at the Moore in Seattle. The PJ Stat Tracker, for example, shows Set 1 ending with Blood, and Encore 1 ending with Go. Livefootsteps shows Set 1 ending with Immortality, and the Encore starting with Go, then followed by Blood.

Anyone know conclusively the correct setlist for this show? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,551
    The Piss Bottle Men bootleg has the order as Immortality -> Encore Break? (hard to tell because Disc 1 ends with a fade out after Immortality) -> Go -> Blood. It doesn't sound like there's enough time for an encore break between Go and Blood, so Go definitely sounds like it belongs there. And the same thing after Blood, there doesn't seem to be a gap between Blood and Satan's Bed.

Not that bootlegs are a good source to determine setlists, as a lot of stuff got cut out back in the day.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Did those links clear this up? Or did the band use the bootleg to list the order of songs?! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    I went back and looked at the fivehorizons concert chronology using archive.org's wayback machine. The Stat Tracker app must have gotten the setlist from there (or from twofeetthick, as they continued to curate the concert chronology after fivehorizons). They have Blood ending the main set with Go ending the first encore. It appears they have always had this setlist order, going as far back as 1998.

The fivehorizons concert chronology page states:

"We've used vast resources including our own tape libraries, clippings, resource books and firsthand reviews. We've consulted with friends who have collections and have utilized the print fanzines (including Release, Footsteps and Tickle My Nausea)."

Now, this being a fan club show, I can assume there were plenty of people there obsessive enough to write the setlist down as it was being performed. That makes me tend to trust the fivehorizons setlist, but who really knows? It really is a mystery...

I went back and looked at the fivehorizons concert chronology using archive.org's wayback machine. The Stat Tracker app must have gotten the setlist from there (or from twofeetthick, as they continued to curate the concert chronology after fivehorizons). They have Blood ending the main set with Go ending the first encore. It appears they have always had this setlist order, going as far back as 1998.

The fivehorizons concert chronology page states:

"We've used vast resources including our own tape libraries, clippings, resource books and firsthand reviews. We've consulted with friends who have collections and have utilized the print fanzines (including Release, Footsteps and Tickle My Nausea)."

Now, this being a fan club show, I can assume there were plenty of people there obsessive enough to write the setlist down as it was being performed. That makes me tend to trust the fivehorizons setlist, but who really knows? It really is a mystery...

Ah, let's make this one a vault and clear it up! :wink:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
    edited January 2022
    We covered this show last year (https://liveon4legs.com/podcast/exclusive-episode-piss-bottle-men-at-moore-theatre-2-5-1995/  this is a Patreon exclusive, not one of our normal episodes) went through and listened to all of the encore songs to see what synced up. To my recollection, what is listed on the Pearl Jam website turned out to be right. I believe that Immortality was the main set closer, I seem to remember that there was a lot of time in between that and Go to make it seem like there was an encore break in between. The one that tossed me up the most to my recollection was Blood? Some of the transitions were real easy to spot, others more difficult. Ultimately I do believe that this is correct - https://livefootsteps.org/setlist/?show_id=334 but there isn’t a true definitive answer

btw, not for nothing, but I’m disappointed that people don’t try and use our podcast and LiveFootsteps as a resource more often. We’ve done an immense amount of research on this stuff, just disappointing that we can’t be seen as a go to. All good, we’ll keep going whether we are one or not.
    Post edited by Sobelberg8 on
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
    We covered this show last year (https://liveon4legs.com/podcast/exclusive-episode-piss-bottle-men-at-moore-theatre-2-5-1995/  this is a Patreon exclusive, not one of our normal episodes) went through and listened to all of the encore songs to see what synced up. To my recollection, what is listed on the Pearl Jam website turned out to be right. I believe that Immortality was the main set closer, I seem to remember that there was a lot of time in between that and Go to make it seem like there was an encore break in between. The one that tossed me up the most to my recollection was Blood? Some of the transitions were real easy to spot, others more difficult. Ultimately I do believe that this is correct - https://livefootsteps.org/setlist/?show_id=334 but there isn’t a true definitive answer

btw, not for nothing, but I’m disappointed that people don’t try and use our podcast and LiveFootsteps as a resource more often. We’ve done an immense amount of research on this stuff, just disappointing that we can’t be seen as a go to. All good, we’ll keep going whether we are one or not.
    So sorry, I referenced the first thing off the top of my head! I'm sure there are a great number of us who appreciate your hard work and dedication to compiling the information. You know I'm appreciative based on how much I used it during our involvement with the DEEP project! I'm glad you posted a comment so that the OP can do a deep dive into your work! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • We covered this show last year (https://liveon4legs.com/podcast/exclusive-episode-piss-bottle-men-at-moore-theatre-2-5-1995/  this is a Patreon exclusive, not one of our normal episodes) went through and listened to all of the encore songs to see what synced up. To my recollection, what is listed on the Pearl Jam website turned out to be right. I believe that Immortality was the main set closer, I seem to remember that there was a lot of time in between that and Go to make it seem like there was an encore break in between. The one that tossed me up the most to my recollection was Blood? Some of the transitions were real easy to spot, others more difficult. Ultimately I do believe that this is correct - https://livefootsteps.org/setlist/?show_id=334 but there isn’t a true definitive answer

So sorry, I referenced the first thing off the top of my head! I'm sure there are a great number of us who appreciate your hard work and dedication to compiling the information. You know I'm appreciative based on how much I used it during our involvement with the DEEP project! I'm glad you posted a comment so that the OP can do a deep dive into your work! 
    I know we have your support for sure! But that’s exactly why we’re making our way through the entire catalog so there are no questions that will ever go unanswered. Even for LF we are constantly changing things like tags/teases in order to get it right. At some point in the future we’ll have the Concertpedia filled with every year (currently good 2014-2021 and are editing 2013, years that I don’t think TFT picked up) so I am hoping that can be a source of information as great as 5H was. I recommend going back to the boot and changing the track listing to what’s listed on LF, I think what was partially up for debate was the idea of it seamlessly flowing right from Porch to Garden with no break. But whatever we had changed we had made sure we gotten it done to what we thought was correct  
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

You got the OP using you as a resource, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist, right?

Listening to the boot, I am also curious about the lack of a break in the Porch -> Garden transition. There was a lot of funny business going on with the boots of that era. Stuff like replacing a whole song with the same song from another show. Or claiming a show is a completely different one than the one on the disc(s). What's been great is that many sources (master tapes) of these boots have come to light over the years, so some setlists have been confirmed this way. Unfortunately, I don't know if a master tape for the Piss Bottle Men bootleg has been found. The old Hard to Imagine website always claimed the source for that boot was unknown but also listed three other sources:

I don't know if any of the other sources are available to confirm the setlist. It would be nice to have a master tape to do so instead of relying on the bootleg. Of course, all of this might be covered in the podcast, but I have no idea because it's behind a paywall.
  • Yeah sorry about the paywall, not much I can do about that at this point. I’ll have to go back and listen when I find time 

Yeah sorry about the paywall, not much I can do about that at this point. I’ll have to go back and listen when I find time 

You don't need to apologize, I understand the need to use Patreon with the kind of research you do. Not to mention the hosting and bandwidth costs for your website.