Options

Eddie Vedder autographed photo - authentic?

rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 305
edited January 2022 in The Porch
Does this appear to be his authentic signature?

Post edited by rlaidepeas on

Comments

• Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,996
    That's definitely a Danny Clinch photo, BUT... I have the same photo, and I copied it for myself (not for resale). Does it have any markings from Danny Clinch, or Transparent Gallery?
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    It does appear to be a real autograph.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Go Animal said:
    That's definitely a Danny Clinch photo, BUT... I have the same photo, and I copied it for myself (not for resale). Does it have any markings from Danny Clinch, or Transparent Gallery?
    My photo appears to be cropped a bit from the full aspect ratio Danny Clinch originally framed in this shot. I suspect this photo was reprinted using a high quality image before it was signed.

The autograph on it however does appear to be real marker, and not a preprint that is part of the photo. I think it was signed and I tried to capture light reflecting on the signature and it appears it was signed in a quick and smooth flow. 
    Post edited by rlaidepeas on
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,996
    Go Animal said:
    My photo appears to be cropped a bit from the full aspect ratio Danny Clinch captured in this shot. I think this photo was reprinted before it was signed. The autograph on it however does appear to be real marker, and not a preprint as part of the photo. I tried to capture light reflecting on the signature and it appears it was signed in a quick and smooth flow. 
    It's completely plausible someone found the image, and printed it as an 8X10. Then, they could've gone to an Eddie/PJ show and might have been lucky enough to get an auto. Or could be a really good forgery? Only a handwriting expert would know (or someone on here who has more than one Eddie autograph & an eye for detail). Hope it's real!
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    Go Animal said:
    Go Animal said:
    My photo appears to be cropped a bit from the full aspect ratio Danny Clinch captured in this shot. I think this photo was reprinted before it was signed. The autograph on it however does appear to be real marker, and not a preprint as part of the photo. I tried to capture light reflecting on the signature and it appears it was signed in a quick and smooth flow. 
    It's completely plausible someone found the image, and printed it as an 8X10. Then, they could've gone to an Eddie/PJ show and might have been lucky enough to get an auto. Or could be a really good forgery? Only a handwriting expert would know (or someone on here who has more than one Eddie autograph & an eye for detail). Hope it's real!
    Yes I believe someone printed this from a digital image. The back of the photo is kodak archival paper. It's definitely signed. I just don't know if it's an autopen or a good forgery. Appreciate all feedback I can get. Figured several members here would perhaps have autographs and would have knowledge. I alsobknow Eddie's signature style of autograph has changed several times throughout his career.
  • Options
    This link shows a really close exemplar that matches the style of signature on my photo. This link is from an example gallery on psadna.com, which is a leading 3rd party autograph authenticator 

https://i.psacard.com/autographfacts/eddie-vedder-signature-63921.jpg?h=1000

• Options
    Side by side comparison with PSA DNA example and my photo

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    If you have to ask there is always going to be a lingering doubt.  That is my take on autographs.  
  • Options
    KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    edited January 2022
    Based on autographs I have got in person in the past decade, this looks real to me. He has changed his signature over the years, but this is consistent for how he has signed for at least the past decade. In the previous decade, his signature was almost the same except for the E in Eddie. Instead of it looking like a C with a line through it, the E was more looped, closer to how most people write a capital E. The only thing that is unusual is this one you show is the upper end of the E  touching the first “d”, but that doesn’t throw it off to me. If it’s a forgery, it’s very good.
    Post edited by KL159781 on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,849
    Nice picture. I saw them play at that field in nj. Go fishing accross the street from it still. Always think of the great bands that played there. Lollapaloozas. Great stuff. The stage is gone and no more concerts there. I want to do an archeological dig for guitar picks!  
  • Options
    Looks like my ED signature.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,985
    Looks good to me
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    dugangsxrdugangsxr Covington KY Posts: 674
    I bought a signed picture of ED right when I first started collecting. I sent it to PSA unfortunately it came back as a fake. They gave me a few reasons why they thought it was a fake…Hope yours legit! If you don’t get it yourself in person, it’s all about who you know & trust. 
    Paul D.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the opinions. Since I didn't obtain the autograph myself in person, I'll never truly know but the consensus here seems to be either it's real or it's a really good forgery (which would suck obviously).

Fortunately I don't plan on getting rid of it ever, so it makes a cool display piece.

I agree that most of the Eddie signatures in this style that I've seem, he doesn't have his first E touch the d, but it's interesting that in PSA DNA's example, they do show one touching. These are like the only 2 I've seen like this though. Which makes me wonder a little bit if a good forger found their example and used it as a sample to copy. I'll never know, except I can tell whoever did sign this did it fast, it doesn't appear traced and it doesn't show signs of being written slow or with multiple stops and starts. With that in mind, I think this could be real. But again it's just a best guess. 
  • Options
    If you have to ask there is always going to be a lingering doubt.  That is my take on autographs.  
    Yes, that's a good take. If you don't get it yourself, you never know. I would have preferred to meet Eddie and see him sign this himself, but haven't had the opportunity. 

I think it's smart practice to stay away from autographs you don't obtain in person unless you really do your homework, but even then, it's always just a best guess. That's how 3rd party autograph authenticators work - they may be experts in the field, but at the end of the day, it ultimately comes down to personal opinion. They have passed stuff that was fake and they have rejected stuff that was real. It's nevwr an exact science.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
    Looks legit to me.
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Looks legit to me.
    Thanks. Appreciate feedback 
  • Options
    Hey, fwiw, I bought this off of ebay shortly after its release in 06, came w a questionable coa, got it framed really nicely and then questioned the authenticity, meant to have it evaluated for years and finally got it done w PSA, confirmed fake.  Been so long since i bought it cant remember seller but i did see a very similar autograph on one of the other forum discussions from the same bogus coa seller.  Normally wouldnt buy an autograph unless from known and trusted source/seller but i was working night shifts in 06 and good chance i was sleep deprived and slightly drunk when i pulled the trigger LOL, live and learn.  Regardless, here is what i got back from PSA as a reference for anyone trying to authenticate.  Cheers!
    "Ya know time is long, and life is short, begin to live while you still can"
  • Options
    hope this attaches this time
  • Options
    I don’t see any photos Kcuff me
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I see it now. Honestly I can tell yours is fake right away. Sorry. 

Not surprised it didn’t pass but I do sympathize with you for finding out from PSA that it wasn’t real. Never fun to get ripped off. And i know their authenticity opinions are expensive as well.
  • Options
    I'm just glad the wondering is over LOL.  Glad it loaded, i still cant tell, obviously im a bit technologically impaired

• Options
    Better now than to have my kids take it to antiques roadshow when im gone and get disappointed in front of a national audience.  Cant remember what other autograph string i was on here in the forum but someone had one w the exact same style as mine, and i believe that one had the whole band, they even had the same coa from the fraudsters