Vitalogy 2011 repress Audiophile according to Discogs... Not my copy

halvhalv Posts: 699
Spun this press today for the first time in awhile and was pretty shocked at how bad it sounds. Really flat sounding with a decent amount of sibilance and distortion especially on side A.  Lots of click and pops. Curious if anyone else has this press with the same issues. I will probably never spin it again and stick with the cd. I'll need to throw on some of the other represses to see if they have the same issue. 

Comments

• SM187650SM187650 Posts: 770
    I just picked up the original pressing and sounds great but I haven’t compared it directly with the repress yet. I will get back to you in a couple days on this! 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Who called this audiophile?  Someone on discogs trying to sell it?   Those albums are all about just throwing it on the table and enjoying some PJ.  
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2022
    OG is MUCH better than any of the reissues. There have been multiple reissues since 2011, the 2011 United pressing cut by Wes Garland to me is the worst, Imo, the 2015 release cut by Daniel Krieger and cut at MPO is much better, but still not on the OG level. Lastly there is a Record Industry pressing, which is the EU 2015 release. Cut in house there, to me sounds exactly like the Krieger cut.

The audiophile term (on the hype sticker) came along when they split the record on to 2 LPs on 180g vinyl, that should have worked much better than it did, but again the sonics don't take advantage of it.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    Who called this audiophile?  Someone on discogs trying to sell it?   Those albums are all about just throwing it on the table and enjoying some PJ.  
    It said "Pearl Jam VITALOGY Vinyl Edition 2-LP, 180-Gram Audiophile Pressing  The brilliant third album, Newly Remastered for vinyl"
    right on the front sticker of the album when purchased. It's certainly more enjoyable to listen to PJ when it sounds good. For now I'll stick with the original cd. 
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    edited January 2022
    MedozK said:
    OG is MUCH better than any of the reissues. There have been multiple reissues since 2011, the 2011 United pressing cut by Wes Garland to me is the worst, Imo, the 2015 release cut by Daniel Krieger and cut at MPO is much better, but still not on the OG level. Lastly there is a Record Industry pressing, which is the EU 2015 release. Cut in house there, to me sounds exactly like the Krieger cut.

The audiophile term (on the hype sticker) came along when they split the record on to 2 LPs on 180g vinyl, that should have worked much better than it did, but again the sonics don't take advantage of it.
    I passed on buying an OG pressing years ago and really regret it now. And they were only asking $40. Such a bad decision on my part. 
    Post edited by halv on