Options

Your favorite type of LP jacket?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Your favorite type of LP jacket? 24 votes

Single
16%
HesCalledDyerRS151862brianluxPJ_Soul 4 votes
Gatefold
66%
blacknapkinsDukeSpiritlastexitlondonmookieblalockLukinFanBrainofBGAGlowGirlMay 30thbrewdog123jeff2040Loujoeshorty4568tempo_n_grooveCropduster-801ThoughtKnownjoe159 16 votes
Trifold
8%
GibsonKearn5y 2 votes
Shoebox
0%
Other (what?)
8%
Tim SimmonsFR181798 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    Gatefold
    Boxes can be annoying.  Gatefold seems the best as single I feel like the record should be giving me more!
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,003
    Other (what?)
    Gatefold Tip On
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    edited December 2021
    Single
    For a single LP, a single jacket.  There is plenty of room on the front and back for photos, artwork, liner notes, etc., not to mention the inner sleeve can be printed.  Far to many gate-fold single LPs waste paper with ego driven excesses.  Some of my favorite bands are guilty of this practice.

For double LP's, definitely gatefold.  I'm not fond of having two LPs jammed into a single cover (Joy Division: 1977-1980 Substance is a good example).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited March 2023
    Other (what?)
    A jacket thats not got a split top seam or corner crease because thats how records seem to arrive every December.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,183
    The one at my front door! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Other (what?)
    Just saw the videos of the Smashing Pumpkins Viper Room vinyl. Did they really just put 2LPs in a wide spined single pocket sleeve. How much was this again? 
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,562
    edited December 2021
    Trifold
    FR181798 said:
    Just saw the videos of the Smashing Pumpkins Viper Room vinyl. Did they really just put 2LPs in a wide spined single pocket sleeve. How much was this again? 
    I want to say $70-80 for a standard version before shipping, but don't quote me.

Voted trifold. I do like a regular gatefold for aesthetics, but the trifold has so much more potential for art/visuals, etc.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Single
    I like the one that doesn’t give me a fit when I put it back in an outer sleeve. 
  • Options
    Single
    I actually kind of like those thin cheesy European LP jackets.  They're so... oh, I dunno... European:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I actually kind of like those thin cheesy European LP jackets.  They're so... oh, I dunno... European:lol:
    Is it the ones without a spine? 

LIKE THE SWEDES DURING WW2. AM I RITE?!?!?!

But seriously, is it regular jackets but without spines?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I don't know if I even have a trifold in my collection....
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,985
    Binaural is trifold iirc
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,200
    edited December 2021
    tino_11 said:
    Binaural is trifold iirc
    Yes. true. Checked it.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Single
    brianlux said:
    Is it the ones without a spine? 

LIKE THE SWEDES DURING WW2. AM I RITE?!?!?!

But seriously, is it regular jackets but without spines?

I don't have any but that sounds interesting.  Most European imports I have are British or German and a few really cheesy Russian.  Oh, and one Italian LP I bought in Rome.

• Options
    So, what are the POSITIVES versus NEGATIVES of Gatefold versus Trifold for you people?
  • Options
    Single
    So, what are the POSITIVES versus NEGATIVES of Gatefold versus Trifold for you people?

No positives that I can think of.  True, a trifold has more room for art work and liner notes, but extra art and notes can go on an insert, reducing the bulk. 
    In these times, other than double LPs, I see no reason for even a gatefold. Are we not using up the planets resources overly fast as it is?  This is one of my biggest complaints about some of my favorite bands and artists- using too much packaging in a world of diminishing resources.  Pearl Jam and Neil Young- two of my favorites who profess to be environmentally conscious- both overuse packaging in what I see as egregious waste.  I simply do not understand why they would call themselves environmentalists yet still do that.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    brianlux said:

No positives that I can think of.  True, a trifold has more room for art work and liner notes, but extra art and notes can go on an insert, reducing the bulk. 
    In these times, other than double LPs, I see no reason for even a gatefold. Are we not using up the planets resources overly fast as it is?  This is one of my biggest complaints about some of my favorite bands and artists- using too much packaging in a world of diminishing resources.  Pearl Jam and Neil Young- two of my favorites who profess to be environmentally conscious- both overuse packaging in what I see as egregious waste.  I simply do not understand why they would call themselves environmentalists yet still do that.
    But how far should you take that? Shipping the albums NOT on vinyl at all saves more, or if not at least ship with non-printed covers. Just the name written out.

In the great scheme of things, using an extra 12 inch plane of paper shouldn't be that much problem, compared to lets say, Funko pops toys or whatever.  I would also think printing booklets in like 12x12 inches with just lyrics on them and not much else going on (instead of putting the lyrics on the sleeves etc) takes up more resources. 

But I hear your reasoning. 

I can appreciate trifolds for the albums getting a wider spine, so the album takes up a bit more space. The writing on the spine isn't forcedc to be comically cramped and small, its easier to spot in the shelf and it feels more "hefty". If we're not taking the negative of shelf space into account.

I guess durability is the same for both. Or is there an aspect with that to take into account? Never had any problems of my trifolds falling apart. or Gatefolds. Hehe.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Other (what?)
    Gatefold Tip On
    So what's the alternative of a tip on sleeve, is it what this new Yield is going to be.. direct to board? 

I like a standard gatefold for a 2LP, not fussed if it's Tip On or not as long as its well manufactured.

Some of these trifolds etc can be a bit of a problem if you are looking to sleeve it.

Tim mentioned about Oasis What's the Story... sleeve. I find the single sheet of card that folds over on this type quite often gets bent corners.

Agree with others though that sometimes a single LP with a nice single pocket sleeve and inner is just fine.

Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,003
    edited March 2023
    Other (what?)
    Direct to board is pretty much your standard sleeve. Where the ink is applied directly to the thin cardboard, then cut folded and glued. Like most color packaging of anything is direct to board. Food packaging, over the counter boxed medicine, you name it.

Tip on is a printed label, glued to heavy cardboard. Its more common with pre 1980s LPs. I prefer tip on because its heavy duty and feels substantial. Granted the downside is, sometimes the pockets are pretty tight. 
  • Options
    Single
    brianlux said:

But how far should you take that? Shipping the albums NOT on vinyl at all saves more, or if not at least ship with non-printed covers. Just the name written out.

In the great scheme of things, using an extra 12 inch plane of paper shouldn't be that much problem, compared to lets say, Funko pops toys or whatever.  I would also think printing booklets in like 12x12 inches with just lyrics on them and not much else going on (instead of putting the lyrics on the sleeves etc) takes up more resources. 

But I hear your reasoning. 

I can appreciate trifolds for the albums getting a wider spine, so the album takes up a bit more space. The writing on the spine isn't forcedc to be comically cramped and small, its easier to spot in the shelf and it feels more "hefty". If we're not taking the negative of shelf space into account.

I guess durability is the same for both. Or is there an aspect with that to take into account? Never had any problems of my trifolds falling apart. or Gatefolds. Hehe.

Yeah, I see what you're saying.  In fact, no album at all but rather a download instead would save the most in terms of paper and plastic resources.  The problem for me is that because of my damaged yet sensitive hearing, my
    listening time on any digital format is very limited.  I will sometimes burn out on haring fatigue with digital in minutes.  In fact, I've walked out of stores playing high pitched/ highly compressed digital music immediately because of the attack on my hearing.  On most LPs I can at least listen to one side, and often both sides before giving the ears a break.

As for just lyrics on a 12x12 sheet of paper, I don't mind if both sides are used and include other notes or information.  Again, our beloved NY frustrates me as sometimes he has inserts that have lyrics that are on folded 12x24 paper.  Huge waste!  And, yes, one sheet of paper is not a lot... but times how many being printed?   

But I agree, there are MANY more products that are throw away or poorly made items that get loaded into the land fill even faster.  I don't know what a Funkp pop toy is, but I can imagine Neil  saying, "It's a piece of craaaaaaaaaap!"  :lol:

• Options
    brianlux said:

Yeah, I see what you're saying.  In fact, no album at all but rather a download instead would save the most in terms of paper and plastic resources.  T
    Digital aint automatically saving you :) 

brianlux said:

I don't know what a Funkp pop toy is, but I can imagine Neil  saying, "It's a piece of craaaaaaaaaap!"  :lol:

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,680
    edited March 2023
    Single
    No fuss, no muss. And I prefer (single) albums to be on only 1 disc whenever at all possible. No fuss, no muss, no changing records!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    PJ_Soul said:
    No fuss, no muss. And I prefer (single) albums to be on only 1 disc whenever at all possible. No fuss, no muss, no changing records!
    If you have an album made in the CD era with no regard to vinyl lengths, you'll be stuck with 2 discs ::)

• Options
    Single
    brianlux said:

Yeah, I see what you're saying.  In fact, no album at all but rather a download instead would save the most in terms of paper and plastic resources.  T
    Digital aint automatically saving you :) 

brianlux said:

I don't know what a Funkp pop toy is, but I can imagine Neil  saying, "It's a piece of craaaaaaaaaap!"  :lol:

Ahh, I do recognize those toys, just never knew what they are called.  But yeah, sadly so many things simply get tossed into the landfill.  

And good point about computers not being environmentally sounds.  The irony is that I am tying on one.  I will say, at least, that I asked my computer guy to find me a rebuilt one, and something that is durable.  The HP Probook he set me up with is build like a tank and I'll keep it going as long as I can.  Sadly, it will become e-waste some day.  No way around that I'm afraid.