That one time I met Ed Backstage

Wanted to share an Ed story some may enjoy. This was circa 2002 at UCLA for a solo show. Ed played songs from Riot Act that night (only we didn’t know it) I remember the heart he out into Thumbing, his Ukulele version of Can’t Keep & his cover of Hide your love away.

His set was short and sweet then he disappeared. Turns out that at the UCLA campus they were using various buildings for this show, which was postponed a year. We needed up making our way into a building where Mike Watt was playing mind you these we’re days before smartphones having a camera/video capabilities and even before it became acceptable to take selfies and even way before Social Media. Anyways, we get into the building and there was a case of hot/room temperature Heineken beer (these were the days before Ed went with Corona, in fact during the 90’s/early 00’s Ed was usually pictured drinking Heinekens.

we drank those hot beers with some cool guests then went to a room where low and behold Ed was drinking a hot Heineken himself. I didn’t want to bother him enjoying the show but through what other moment will I ever have to say something to this guy?

let’s go back some 1” years to 90’s and when Alive first came out. Here I was this depressed and abused kid thinking of ending things for good. Crying Alive came to mind and I didn’t do anything that day and listened to Alive a million times crying and keeping on. Fast forward a few years when RearViewMirror came out and I felt like Ed went through the same abuse I did growing up and was someone who could relate to this depressed teenage abused kid.

in my adolescent mind, it was like Ed was singing to me and was sort of a mentor or even father figure I didn’t have. I fell in love with PJ simply because of the real emotions in the music and these came from Ed and here I was with a chance to tell him in person.

back to the room, I waited for Ed to finish his beer, mustered up the courage to approach him and say hello. I told him my brief Alive story and he really didn’t know what to say to me. I can see his look to this day in my minds eye - while I was telling him I shook his hand and thanked him for the song. After shaking his hand I wanted to leave him alone as he was preparing to join Mike Watt onstage. Got to enjoy the performance from the back and then we decided it was time to call it a night. Turns out my car was parked near his car (was driving a Jeep), me and my friend waved at home from outside and with that big Ed smile he waved right back and took off. 

I can tell Ed was shy in those days, these were simple times no bodyguards to keep you away, was able to shake his hand and say thank you for your work just as any professional would do today. It was a great human experience.

Ed if you somehow see this, thanks.

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Awesome 
  • Cool story, thanks for sharing.

Plus you went from least valuable topic on the first page to MVP all within 3 posts.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 176
    Cool story, thanks for sharing.

Plus you went from least valuable topic on the first page to MVP all within 3 posts.
    Thanks and nice to be out of dog house :)
  • raindog80raindog80 Posts: 1,158
    Beautiful story. And one of my fav. EV performances EVER.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 176
    raindog80 said:
    Beautiful story. And one of my fav. EV performances EVER.
    Thanks I loved that show it was awesome and early EV solo days. Thanks I hoped some on here would enjoy that story…
  • DE4173DE4173 Posts: 579
    Glad you're still here!
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,540
    love the story dude. always love these stories. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    I remember listening to the bootleg of this show on tape until the tape died. Also, Sleepless Nights with Beck comes from this show right? 
    www.cluthelee.com