Options

Does 180gram vinyl matter?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,331
    Yes.
    It doesn't impact my decision, but I do have some records from the 90s (the OP of Down on the Upside) that warped, and i'm not sure how.   The extra thickness reduces warping, but it's not a dealbreaker.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    edited February 2023
    No.
    What's the most grams an album has been? What's the record?

30,000 kilos:
    Behold the worlds largest vinyl record - The Vinyl Factory

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm bumping this to ask another question --

-- is 180 gram or not a factor when you decide to buy a LP? Or isn't that a factor in the end o f you picking it up?
    Not a real factor.  If something is avail in 180, great.  But if it's only in 140, that doesn't dissuade me.  The lineage, mastering, engineer and pressing plant are all way more important to the quality.  If you are worried about warping, get a record clamp.  They solve all sorts of problems. 

Unless you have a Rega TT - a clamp is useless on a Rega TT if the record is 180g.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,712
    Yes.
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm bumping this to ask another question --

-- is 180 gram or not a factor when you decide to buy a LP? Or isn't that a factor in the end o f you picking it up?
    Not a real factor.  If something is avail in 180, great.  But if it's only in 140, that doesn't dissuade me.  The lineage, mastering, engineer and pressing plant are all way more important to the quality.  If you are worried about warping, get a record clamp.  They solve all sorts of problems. 

Unless you have a Rega TT - a clamp is useless on a Rega TT if the record is 180g.
    Is your spindle too short?  I've been telling you for years that 8" is not what you think it is.