Birthday bash draws Eddie Vedder & The Chainsmokers to Fort Worth Zoo, annoying the neighbors

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,261

A zoo spokeswoman said animals were monitored for adverse reactions during a sound check Friday afternoon, and during and after the party.

The Fort Worth Zoo was the site of a 40th birthday bash featuring Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder and The Chainsmokers. Some neighbors were not happy with the noise and said they worried for the animals' well-being.(Scott Keeling)

A private 40th birthday bash at the Fort Worth Zoo on Friday night featured big performances by Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder and The Chainsmokers.

But the party drew the ire of some neighbors, who complained of loud noise and said they worried for the animals’ safety.

“Those poor animals. If it was that loud for us nearly 2 miles away, I can’t imagine how awful it was for them,” one woman said on Facebook. “You’d expect the best zoo in the nation to treat their animals better.”

A zoo spokeswoman said that the zoo had received only three complaints as of Monday morning and that representatives had reached out to those neighbors. No special permit was required for the event, which ended at 1 a.m., said Avery Elander, the zoo’s assistant director of communications.

All animals were monitored during a sound check Friday afternoon and during the party, Elander said.

“No animals were observed having adverse reactions or different behavior,” she said, adding that all animals were also behaving normally the following day.

The Fort Worth Zoo frequently hosts special events like weddings and birthday parties, and Elander said the “animals are habituated to these kinds of parties.” Proceeds from private events contribute to the care and feeding of the animals and help maintain zoo facilities, she added.

On social media, residents who lived more than a mile from the zoo said the music was deafening.

“I’m horrified for the animals at the zoo,” one poster said.

“I don’t care how rich I was,” another said, “I would never throw a birthday party for myself like that.”

“The meerkats will revolt,” one person quipped on Twitter.

Others, however, were more forgiving: “Eddie Vedder can interrupt my quiet Friday night anytime.”

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited November 2021
    Eddie shouldn't support Zoos. He needs to start reading up on things before boarding private planes to play private gigs and signing off on Funko toys. 

Fort Worth Zoo offered $2 million to this year’s #1 Worst Zoo for Elephants to buy two female Asian elephants: eight-year-old Nellie and fifteen-year-old Emily. Fort Worth Zoo wanted to breed them and would have paid an additional $200,000 if a calf was born soon after their arrival. As the #2 Worst Zoo for Elephants in 2020, this dirty deal, and others like it, expose the zoo industry's powerful role in driving U.S. and international trade in traumatized elephants who suffer from serial "transfer abuse," breeding, and endless captivity.

If the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service approved the import, Fort Worth Zoo would pay African Lion Safari — a theme park in Ontario, Canada — to separate Nellie from her mother, and Emily from her six-year-old calf, Gigi. Transfers are known to cause stress to elephants, and scientific research associates them with repetitive stereotypic behaviors that are considered "an important indicator of compromised welfare.”

10 Worst Zoos for Elephants 2020 (idausa.org)

GOT AN ELEPHANT SEPARATED FROM HER MOTHER
    IN FACT I GOT TWO
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 480
    Disappointing 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    edited November 2021
    Eddie shouldn't support Zoos. He needs to start reading up on things before boarding private planes to play private gigs and signing off on Funko toys

Fort Worth Zoo offered $2 million to this year’s #1 Worst Zoo for Elephants to buy two female Asian elephants: eight-year-old Nellie and fifteen-year-old Emily. Fort Worth Zoo wanted to breed them and would have paid an additional $200,000 if a calf was born soon after their arrival. As the #2 Worst Zoo for Elephants in 2020, this dirty deal, and others like it, expose the zoo industry's powerful role in driving U.S. and international trade in traumatized elephants who suffer from serial "transfer abuse," breeding, and endless captivity.

If the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service approved the import, Fort Worth Zoo would pay African Lion Safari — a theme park in Ontario, Canada — to separate Nellie from her mother, and Emily from her six-year-old calf, Gigi. Transfers are known to cause stress to elephants, and scientific research associates them with repetitive stereotypic behaviors that are considered "an important indicator of compromised welfare.”

IN FACT I GOT TWO
    Agree on the zoo.  But didn’t you buy a set of Funko Pops after posting about how bad plastic is for the earth?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited November 2021
    on2legs said:
    Eddie shouldn't support Zoos. He needs to start reading up on things before boarding private planes to play private gigs and signing off on Funko toys

IN FACT I GOT TWO
    Agree on the zoo.  But didn’t you buy a set of Funko Pops after posting about how bad plastic is for the earth?
    Yes.

I also have an 18 inch McFarlane Toys Freddy Krueger figure I bought in Paris in 2002. And a Shredder figure from my childhood. He is the villain Turtles. 

Would have rather seen a Riot Act Super Deluxe Box Set (available from European stores) or a cooler more unique "made from plastic from the ocean" toy-concept than the "slap every brand on generic looking figures" that is Funko. But it is what it is. I am not the Gene Simmons of Pearl Jam, so I do not make the merch decisions. 

FOMO is a bitch.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    what is this & the Chainsmokers?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,617
    edited November 2021
    static111 said:
    A fun game to play is to walk into any bar, or club with 2 white guys in their 30's dressed somewhat hipstery, and say "these are The Chainsmokers" and see how far you can take it :)
    Post edited by Go Animal on
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I'm thinking with Eddie being in Texas, perhaps I will get a surprise at The Stones show Saturday night!  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Everybody has a price I suppose.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Eewwww
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • static111 said:
    I'm thinking with Eddie being in Texas, perhaps I will get a surprise at The Stones show Saturday night!  
    I’d be willing to bet Ed was back in his bed in Seattle before the night was over.. doubt he’s chilling in crappy ft worth for a week 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Good lord you guys like to bitch
  • Good lord you guys like to bitch
    This says more about you, than about "us".
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,192
    Agreed screw all Zoos period! I wouldn’t attend an event like this even if for free nothing surprises me anymore concerning this band or Vedder..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Eddie shouldn't support Zoos. He needs to start reading up on things before boarding private planes to play private gigs and signing off on Funko toys. 

IN FACT I GOT TWO
    African Lion Safari in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada is #1 on a "Worst Zoo" list?  Color me surprised.
  • Go Animal said:
    static111 said:
    A fun game to play is to walk into any bar, or club with 2 white guys in their 30's dressed somewhat hipstery, and say "these are The Chainsmokers" and see how far you can take it :)
    This is one of the funniest things anyone not named Stefan has posted on this forum.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,617
    Go Animal said:
    static111 said:
    This is one of the funniest things anyone not named Stefan has posted on this forum.
    Jim Carrey Bow GIF - Find  Share on GIPHY

PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 832
    Eddie shouldn't support Zoos. He needs to start reading up on things before boarding private planes to play private gigs and signing off on Funko toys. 

IN FACT I GOT TWO
    African Lion Safari in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada is #1 on a "Worst Zoo" list?  Color me surprised.
    We used to get drunk at school and scheme how to drive there (when sober) to steal a monkey to be our house butler. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,261
    kaw753 said:

IN FACT I GOT TWO
    We used to get drunk at school and scheme how to drive there (when sober) to steal a monkey to be our house butler. 
    Lol
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Some zoos do a lot of good (looking at you Bronx zoo) but yes some have less “greater good” initiatives and are likely run as profit centers to the detriment of all the animals.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    The private stuff doesn’t usually bother me but playing a zoo? Pretty lame. Next stop sea world?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Pretty sure most mammals are Pearl Jam fans (especially marsupials).  I don’t see a problem.  
  • Pretty sure most mammals are Pearl Jam fans (especially marsupials).  I don’t see a problem.  
    And what if it were Nickleback? Limp Bizkit? Honestly....and all puns and jokes aside. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    Really disappointed to read that Eddie performed at a zoo. Unfortunately disappointed is a word that I'm feeling a lot more as of late with him 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 895
    Per my insider sources….By performing this zoo event, Eddie was able to save a 5 year old ape named Freddy, which he boarded on his private jet back to Seattle. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,159
    Surely the set included: Animal, Evil Little Goat and Bugs
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,261
    That would of been incredible! 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I just want more koala merch.  
  • demetrios said:
    That would of been incredible! 
    No. Playing at that zoo would be just as disgusting.
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 895
    A zoo tour with animals on stage would be epic!