Options

Songs or Bands to introduce to your niece and nephews?

I have a niece and a nephew.  No kids of my own.  I have always been like Henry Rollins and introduce people to new bands or a genre they weren't familiar with.  I love music and have always enjoyed showing someone something for the first time.

I have a few songs that I think should be introduced to them.  One is 11 and the other is 7.  The boy being the oldest.  i have gifted them a Pink and Taylor Swift album so far to rave reviews.

My Nephew likes story telling songs so I am thinking Uneasy Rider by Charlie Daniels and Boy named Sue by Cash.  He really likes the Gambler so those two should be perfect.

Other songs I was thinking that should be introduced are for listening ear pleasure.  Close to Me by the Cure.  Babba o Reilly by The Who .War Pigs by Sabbath.

Any other songs that you think that would get them on their ears, lol?  Eruption?  Atomic Punk or Cathedral by Van Halen?

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I have a niece and a nephew.  No kids of my own.  I have always been like Henry Rollins and introduce people to new bands or a genre they weren't familiar with.  I love music and have always enjoyed showing someone something for the first time.

I have a few songs that I think should be introduced to them.  One is 11 and the other is 7.  The boy being the oldest.  i have gifted them a Pink and Taylor Swift album so far to rave reviews.

My Nephew likes story telling songs so I am thinking Uneasy Rider by Charlie Daniels and Boy named Sue by Cash.  He really likes the Gambler so those two should be perfect.

Other songs I was thinking that should be introduced are for listening ear pleasure.  Close to Me by the Cure.  Babba o Reilly by The Who .War Pigs by Sabbath.

Any other songs that you think that would get them on their ears, lol?  Eruption?  Atomic Punk or Cathedral by Van Halen?
    80s pop is fun, so are some hair metal bands from the 80s. I recently played Van Halen for my 8 year old and she and the 4 year old ran around playing air guitar for a few days. Our rule is just about anything goes, save for music that has too many f-bombs or anything resembling Megan Thee Stallion. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689
    anything death metal
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

80s pop is fun, so are some hair metal bands from the 80s. I recently played Van Halen for my 8 year old and she and the 4 year old ran around playing air guitar for a few days. Our rule is just about anything goes, save for music that has too many f-bombs or anything resembling Megan Thee Stallion. 
    lol,

For rap I'd definitely do some 90's stuff so they can hear (but not know) the soul loops in them like Arrested Development, Public Enemy and such.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    anything death metal
    I have to introduce Sabbath before I do Slayer...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    My niece in high school dabbles with guitar and really likes Queen.  I was a little surprised because I never got into Queen, but then I learned that Queen has more Spotify listens than the Beatles.   The young people seem to like them a lot.  
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    My kids, who are that age, love Paul Revere and Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boys. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    hihobibo said:
    My kids, who are that age, love Paul Revere and Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boys. 
    Oh yeah! Both my kids love the Hello Nasty record. If it was good enough to be in Diary of a Wimpy Kid, then that’s alright with me! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    hihobibo said:
    11 and 7, singing Paul Revere?
    I love it, but my wife would kill me!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hihobibo said:
    I was 11 when I bought Licensed to Ill.

I was 10 when I bought Quiet Riots Metal Health.

In my listening arsenal at the ripe old age of 10 I had Defenders of the Faith, Piece of Mind and Number of the Beast as well as Sabbath's Live at Last.

The 11YO will be fine.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    mickeyrat said:
    anything death metal

Don't Mickey Mouse around (double pun there, sort of, lol), go straight for the jugular with Slipknot.

Noooooooooo!, just kidding.

I had two nephews close to the same age as yours stay with me off and on (more on than off) for a couple of years.  Ever night, we all laid out of the floor while I played some records.  They loved doing this and they always seemed to like what I played.  Some favorites were lots of Neil Young (especially acoustic stuff), The Rain Parade's Explosions in the Glass Palace, Eno's Another Green World, and some Leo Kottke LPs.  (There was a lot more, but those are ones I remember them liking). 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    anything death metal

Don't Mickey Mouse around (double pun there, sort of, lol), go straight for the jugular with Slipknot.

Noooooooooo!, just kidding.

I had two nephews close to the same age as yours stay with me off and on (more on than off) for a couple of years.  Ever night, we all laid out of the floor while I played some records.  They loved doing this and they always seemed to like what I played.  Some favorites were lots of Neil Young (especially acoustic stuff), The Rain Parade's Explosions in the Glass Palace, Eno's Another Green World, and some Leo Kottke LPs.  (There was a lot more, but those are ones I remember them liking). 

When I was first enjoying music there was White wedding, Oh Mickey, Pass the Dutchie and Eye of the Tiger.  I might try those for them too.  Explaining pass the Dutchie will be referred to as Double Dutch though, lol.
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    edited November 2021
    hihobibo said:
    They like the story aspect of it, and call it the "Drinking beer with a baseball bat" song.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    How about stray cats? They are pretty family friendly. Still may have to be a bit choosy. They are lucky to have a cool uncle. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    hihobibo said:
    hihobibo said:
    They like the story aspect of it, and call it the "Drinking beer with a baseball bat" song.

I am down with it, just said my wife would kill me when it came to "did her like this, did her like that, I did her with a whiffle ball bat" part, even though my 7 year old would have no idea what it meant.

I was in the doghouse for Shout At The Devil when he was 3 or so.  I just played my music - tried to keep the foul language out - and the kid loved heavy metal as a tot.  He sang along with the song one time and my wife about shit herself and asked me not to play that song as she didn't want him saying anything about the devil.

We just skipped that one -- he still got to rock out to plenty of other stuff.

I love that your kids like the Beasties, that is awesome.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved