Show how $6B will solve world hunger, and I'll donate it: Elon Musk to United Nations

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Show how $6B will solve world hunger, and I'll donate it: Elon Musk to United Nations

Get on it UN..Show us your not a totally useless money pit full of leeches…

Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Some very smart and wise people have been saying for a long time that simply giving third world nations money and food will not end world hunger.  Helping them learn how to be self-sufficient and lowering their population will.  It's amazing that this is still not understood.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    In fairness, Musk was given millions by the govt and used it to make himself filthy rich.  It is what he knows.  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    In fairness, Musk was given millions by the govt and used it to make himself filthy rich.  It is what he knows.  ;)
    Given millions by the govt? Can you elaborate? Sure, he has deals with the government, but that's a transaction - money for services - not a handout.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • brianlux said:
    Some very smart and wise people have been saying for a long time that simply giving third world nations money and food will not end world hunger.  Helping them learn how to be self-sufficient and lowering their population will.  It's amazing that this is still not understood.
    This sounds very......Republican. Not the part about caring about world hunger. But the bolded part versus just giving third world nations money and food. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    brianlux said:
    This sounds very......Republican. Not the part about caring about world hunger. But the bolded part versus just giving third world nations money and food. 

Oh brother.  What is this, "Fuck Brian Lux the Republican Week"?
    NOT!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

NOT!
    It's a good thing.  Would you rather adhere to every aspect of one party's ideology, or be open to some ideologies of the opposing party?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    benjs said:
    Given millions by the govt? Can you elaborate? Sure, he has deals with the government, but that's a transaction - money for services - not a handout.
    Given is not the right wording....you are right.
    He was subsidized $400M + when his company wasn't making money and paid it back when it was.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2021
    brianlux said:
    I agree.  Isn’t there a saying referring to fish where someone addressed this very issue a couple thousand years ago?  We humans are slow to learn.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    benjs said:
    He was subsidized $400M + when his company wasn't making money and paid it back when it was.

Is his company actually making money or is it just speculative, like is he actually turning a profit off of his car sales and rocket contracts?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    I agree.  Isn’t there a saying referring to fish where someone addressed this very issue a couple thousand years ago?  We humans are slow to learn.
    "Give peoplekind a fish you feed them for a day, teach them to fish and you feed them for a lifetime..."
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    "Give peoplekind a fish you feed them for a day, teach them to fish and you feed them for a lifetime..."
    👍
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    That’s all well and good, but the reality is that many of these countries have been stripped of their resources by the “developed” world and are now seeing further damage due to climate change. We, the developed nations, have caused most of their problems to serve our own desires for material wealth and now we have the audacity to pretend that they really just need us to teach them how to live in their own countries? 

No, they need reparations for the damage we have caused, and lots of it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • That’s all well and good, but the reality is that many of these countries have been stripped of their resources by the “developed” world and are now seeing further damage due to climate change. We, the developed nations, have caused most of their problems to serve our own desires for material wealth and now we have the audacity to pretend that they really just need us to teach them how to live in their own countries? 

So teaching them to rebuild, plan, and function could be tools to help them then.

Even doing that World Hunger will never be eradicated.  Another group will eventually pop up somewhere else.

It's a bold statement by Elon.  I hope someone derives a plan to take him for his word.
    That’s all well and good, but the reality is that many of these countries have been stripped of their resources by the “developed” world and are now seeing further damage due to climate change. We, the developed nations, have caused most of their problems to serve our own desires for material wealth and now we have the audacity to pretend that they really just need us to teach them how to live in their own countries? 

That is very true and worth considering.  How many of us have taken old computers and cell phones to e-waste drop offs?  We can't fool ourselves and believe all of our electronics get recycled in a nice clean, tidy manner. 
    Photo of discarded electronics poisoning African children:
    Discarded Electronics Are Poisoning African Children

I'm still for helping third world countries find ways to be more self-sufficient (this is not just a Republican agenda), lower population, and improve education, but we do owe for some of this.

OK, back to my coffee (yes, another first world luxury I have yet to give up.  :frowning:)

LMFAO…so when is BC going to pay restitution for living on unseeded territory and destroying indigenous lands in the name of money…

We have homeless people everywhere and indigenous peoples living in 3rd world condition on their own land in which all settlers ever do is offer them their platitudes, but let’s pay restitution to everyone…

Give Peas A Chance…
    static111 said:
    benjs said:

Is his company actually making money or is it just speculative, like is he actually turning a profit off of his car sales and rocket contracts?

Don't know about Spacex but Tesla is making a huge profit, and has been for a while now. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    LMFAO…so when is BC going to pay restitution for living on unseeded territory and destroying indigenous lands in the name of money…

We have homeless people everywhere and indigenous peoples living in 3rd world condition on their own land in which all settlers ever do is offer them their platitudes, but let’s pay restitution to everyone…

I also agree with reparations for indigenous people/nations, but I don’t think that’s really relevant to this thread. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    When did the Canadian military invade these poor countries and steal their resources, or do you mean corporations made deals with these country governments and the harvested their resources?  Either way unless GOVERNMENT stole the resources I fail to see why the taxpayer should be on the hook…especially when we have problems that get passed in from PM to PM.  But yeah sure let’s continue to steal from the middle class to give to the military, elites or ruling class of these countries..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

NOT!
    It's a good thing.  Would you rather adhere to every aspect of one party's ideology, or be open to some ideologies of the opposing party?

The real issue is probably that the word "Republican" kinda needs to be taken off the table in this context. The Republican party is really just a crazy anti-democratic cult now, not a legitimate political leaning that espouses reasonable ideologies for normal people. That kind of "Republican" is pretty much dead now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    brianlux said:

That is very true and worth considering.  How many of us have taken old computers and cell phones to e-waste drop offs?  We can't fool ourselves and believe all of our electronics get recycled in a nice clean, tidy manner. 

I'm still for helping third world countries find ways to be more self-sufficient (this is not just a Republican agenda), lower population, and improve education, but we do owe for some of this.

OK, back to my coffee (yes, another first world luxury I have yet to give up.  :frowning:)

I figured that's what $6B would be used for, at least partly. Education (which ultimately leads to a reduction in reproduction rates, especially when it comes to educating women), clean water sources, improved farming infrastructure, etc. I don't think the UN would actually just spend $6B on groceries for poor nations!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I figured that's what $6B would be used for, at least partly. Education (which ultimately leads to a reduction in reproduction rates, especially when it comes to educating women), clean water sources, improved farming infrastructure, etc. I don't think the UN would actually just spend $6B on groceries for poor nations!

I could get behind that!

Restitution…Canada should demand restitution from England and Europe, they colonized them and tried to wipe out indigenous people. 
    Give Peas A Chance…