Options

Any Dead Moon fans here?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
When Fred Cole died in 2017 and I read up on him, I was surprised to have not heard him and Dead Moon, and knew I had to at least check out his work with Dead Moon.  What a great band!   I love the way they went about making music with a DIY approach.  I totally dig their raw, almost primitive sound.  True, their records are pretty much lo-fi, but this stuff is real as the day is long.  And I really love Fred's voice and raw guitar playing and the way his wife Toody's singing worked with his in choruses.  Such cool stuff!

Any other fans? 

If not familiar with the group, here's a sample to get you started:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    I only heard of Dead Moon when Pearl Jam started covering “It’s OK”. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I only heard of Dead Moon when Pearl Jam started covering “It’s OK”. 

Right!  So cool that P.J. covered a Dead Moon song, awesome!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,475
    you know, Brian, I absolutely loved the "It's OK" tag on the (I think) Jones Beach boot so I checked out dead moon years ago.

gotta tell you, I thought they were unlistenable. maybe I'll try them again....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    They're in the Hype! Documentary....talk about the DIY aspect to pressing their own records and play 54/40.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    you know, Brian, I absolutely loved the "It's OK" tag on the (I think) Jones Beach boot so I checked out dead moon years ago.

There's probably a good reason they never made it big.  They were a rag tag outfit and definitely lo-fi.  That doesn't always work for me either but some some reason, this particular band does it for me.
    Their sound is pretty consistent, but maybe try this one:

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,475
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:

There's probably a good reason they never made it big.  They were a rag tag outfit and definitely lo-fi.  That doesn't always work for me either but some some reason, this particular band does it for me.

sorry, nope. :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:

sorry, nope. :lol:

LOL, thanks for trying anyway, Rob.
    :lol:

• Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    Been a fan for a long time, Fred & Toody were the best. I pretty much dig Fred’s entire catalog from The Weeds, Zipper, rats, range rats etc.  
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    apirk72 said:
    Been a fan for a long time, Fred & Toody were the best. I pretty much dig Fred’s entire catalog from The Weeds, Zipper, rats, range rats etc.  

Cool!  I have to check out some of Fred's other work.  I really dig Dead Moon but haven't ventured further.  Thanks for motivation to do so!

• Options
    apirk72 said:

Cool!  I have to check out some of Fred's work.  I really dig Dead Moon but haven't ventured further.  Thanks for motivation to do so!

• Options
    edited November 2021
    From their third LP.  Really digging this one!
    (I know, Wobbie, I know!  :tongue::lol: )