NFL draft process explanation

Coverage of the NFL here in the UK is pretty good. I very casually watch it on a Sunday night when the wife is at work. I'm pretty clear on the rules of the game having grown up playing John madden 😂 but whenever I try to understand the draft process it confuses the fuck out of me! Over here (soccer), teams can buy players from other teams and a player would have to agree terms to a contract and could also refuse to go to another team. How does it work in the NFL? Can a player refuse the team that picks them? Are there any monetary fee's involved etc?

Anyone care to give me a quick idiots guide?

Right now I'm watching Chargers @ Chiefs

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Players have refused before.  Elway, Eli Manning.  They were traded soon after.  

I can’t remember about the $$$.  I know in the NBA the higher you’re picked in the 1st round the higher amount of money you’re guaranteed.  
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Those are very much exceptions to the rule though. 

The Draft goes in reverse order of the standings from the previous year. So the worst team gets the 1st pick and so on. Then once it reaches the second round of the draft it reverses, so the best team gets the last pick in the first round and the first pick of the second round. Picks can be, and often are traded both before and during the draft. In 99.9% of cases the players don’t really have a say in where they go. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    RiotZact said:

The Draft goes in reverse order of the standings from the previous year. So the worst team gets the 1st pick and so on. Then once it reaches the second round of the draft it reverses, so the best team gets the last pick in the first round and the first pick of the second round. Picks can be, and often are traded both before and during the draft. In 99.9% of cases the players don’t really have a say in where they go. 
    It does not reverse in the second round.  If your the worst team you choose 1st at the beginning of each round unless you forfeit or trade your pick…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • RiotZact said:

That's interesting.. so not an awful lot of player power in the league then? Take the players in the premier league (soccer) especially the better players, together with their agents, they pretty much call the shots on where they go, when they go and how much they earn from it.
    RiotZact said:

It does not reverse in the second round.  If your the worst team you choose 1st at the beginning of each round unless you forfeit or trade your pick…
    Oh shit really? Sorry for the misinformation. Am I thinking of a different sport that does that? Or did the NFL used to do that?
    beano.79 said:
    RiotZact said:

That's interesting.. so not an awful lot of player power in the league then? Take the players in the premier league (soccer) especially the better players, together with their agents, they pretty much call the shots on where they go, when they go and how much they earn from it.
    Not a lot of power at the beginning of their NFL career, but the rookie contracts are only 4 years, so they can move where they please in free agency when that is up.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    RiotZact said:
    beano.79 said:
    RiotZact said:

Not a lot of power at the beginning of their NFL career, but the rookie contracts are only 4 years, so they can move where they please in free agency when that is up.

as long as that team is interested..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

Oh shit really? Sorry for the misinformation. Am I thinking of a different sport that does that? Or did the NFL used to do that?
    What you're describing is how fantasy football leagues draft, the so called snake draft.
    NFL (nor any US pro sports league) has ever done that to my knowledge.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

What you're describing is how fantasy football leagues draft, the so called snake draft.
    NFL (nor any US pro sports league) has ever done that to my knowledge.
    Wow. Just a major brain fart on my part.
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    edited September 2021
    beano.79 said:
    Coverage of the NFL here in the UK is pretty good. I very casually watch it on a Sunday night when the wife is at work. I'm pretty clear on the rules of the game having grown up playing John madden 😂 but whenever I try to understand the draft process it confuses the fuck out of me! Over here (soccer), teams can buy players from other teams and a player would have to agree terms to a contract and could also refuse to go to another team. How does it work in the NFL? Can a player refuse the team that picks them? Are there any monetary fee's involved etc?

Anyone care to give me a quick idiots guide?

Right now I'm watching Chargers @ Chiefs

As mentioned the draft order is inverse of the final standings so worst team picks 1st. Teams can trade picks so the order can get jumbled and then there are also compensatory picks tacked on to the end of rounds 3-7 based on if a team loses a restricted free agent in the offseason. 

A player can "refuse" to play for a team but it's pretty rare. 

As for rookie contracts, it used to be uncapped but then the "Jamarcus Russel rule" was put into place and now the value of the contract is based on what number the pick is. All first round picks get a 4 year deal with a team option on a 5th year.