New Wonder Years

Anyone watch this last night? I recorded it and watched it and really liked it. 
Reading 2004
Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
Chicago 2007
Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
Fenway 2, 2018
MSG 2022
St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
MSG 2024, MSG 2024
Philadelphia 2024
"I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
Things happen in the game. Nothing you
can do. I don't go and say,
"I'm gonna beat this guy up."

Comments

• No, but I did see a commercial for it and was surprised (happy) to see they changed it up with a black family.

Good to hear you liked I will give it a go at some point.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    LMFAO.  Nope.  It’s an iconic show and should never be redone. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    I've heard good things so far. Haven't watched it yet though. 
    www.myspace.com
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Haven’t watched it yet though I’ll probably check it out at some point.

There was something sweet and pure about the original; I hope the new version remains true to that. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    hedonist said:

There was something sweet and pure about the original; I hope the new version remains true to that. 
    I did not have sweet and pure thoughts about Karen Arnold (or Winnie Cooper, who was closer to my age than Karen Arnold at the time, for that matter). 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

I did not have sweet and pure thoughts about Karen Arnold (or Winnie Cooper, who was closer to my age than Karen Arnold at the time, for that matter). 
    Even I had those thoughts. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    Watched it.  Thought it was ok but not as good as the original.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    edited September 2021
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

I bet you didn’t  ;)
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    edited September 2021
    I think Kevin Arnold is one of the most underrated TV characters in my memory. Most sitcom characters have very formulaic (and endearing) flaws (do poorly in school, try to fix things to disastrous results, bad cook, etc.) but they're always likeable. Kevin was outrageously impatient. It was real and relatable. He wasn't a terrible person but it didn't serve him well. You still cheered for him but he was a jerk at times.  I think he was one of the most real characters ever (not just among sitcoms, but in all TV).

That said, I am not likely to check the show out because I don't really take on a lot of new shows these days.  But it's not because I'm upset about and I think the original show was so relatable that it's potentially positive to have a version with a black kid/family. I hope it's well done.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • I didn't like Kevin.  (ducks from OnWis97's shoe, thrown at my head)

Winnie was all good. 

I did enjoy the show for the first year or two, don't believe I watched after that.  That would have been back half of high school into college.  Think I only watched sports for the most part.  (Did try to catch as much Quantum Leap as I could)
    Otherwise I really only watched TV when I was laying around, hungover, in college.  (CHiPs, Magnum re-runs, stuff like that)
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Cant stand remakes honestly.   I saw that Fred Savage directs this but I probably won’t even give it a try.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

Yep and yep. I thought it was only me...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I think anyone who between 12/13 and 17 when the Wonder Years aired thought that of Winnie Cooper. 
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    The original debuted in '88 and took place in '68. Had the remake followed suit, it would take place in '01. 
    Hobbes said:
    The original debuted in '88 and took place in '68. Had the remake followed suit, it would take place in '01. 
    I was thinking that last night as I watched the first episode. There were only 20 years between the first one and the present day narrator. But the new one has over 50 years - crazy.

I didn't like Kevin.  (ducks from OnWis97's shoe, thrown at my head)

Winnie was all good. 

I did enjoy the show for the first year or two, don't believe I watched after that.  That would have been back half of high school into college.  Think I only watched sports for the most part.  (Did try to catch as much Quantum Leap as I could)
    Otherwise I really only watched TV when I was laying around, hungover, in college.  (CHiPs, Magnum re-runs, stuff like that)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/quantum-leap-scott-bakula-reboot-possible-1235017311/

GlowGirl said:
    Hobbes said:
    I was thinking that last night as I watched the first episode. There were only 20 years between the first one and the present day narrator. But the new one has over 50 years - crazy.

Wouldn't get the same "feels" had this or any show was set in the early aughts. Not sure if the 90s would work, either. 80s, certainly, as demonstrated by the lasting power of The Goldbergs.
    Hobbes said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Hobbes said:

Wouldn't get the same "feels" had this or any show was set in the early aughts. Not sure if the 90s would work, either. 80s, certainly, as demonstrated by the lasting power of The Goldbergs.
    When the first Wonder Years came out in the late 80s, there was a lot of 1960's baby boomer nostalgia happening (such as the Big Chill). Those 1960s kids were hitting their late 30s-40s and were likely the major demographic for that show. I liked this new version - but wonder what audience they are going for. TV advertisers don't often want to cater to those in their 60s-70s. Of course, younger people are not watching network TV as much as they used to - so what do I know. 

GlowGirl said:
    Hobbes said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Hobbes said:

When the first Wonder Years came out in the late 80s, there was a lot of 1960's baby boomer nostalgia happening (such as the Big Chill). Those 1960s kids were hitting their late 30s-40s and were likely the major demographic for that show. I liked this new version - but wonder what audience they are going for. TV advertisers don't often want to cater to those in their 60s-70s. Of course, younger people are not watching network TV as much as they used to - so what do I know. 

Exactly. The original was attractive to both parents and their children. Brilliant!
  • GlowGirl said:
    Hobbes said:

A 2001 one would be interesting but 1968 I think is better. 
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    Winnie (Danica McKeller) is still  ;)
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • GlowGirl said:
    I didn't like Kevin.  (ducks from OnWis97's shoe, thrown at my head)

Winnie was all good. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/quantum-leap-scott-bakula-reboot-possible-1235017311/

Awesome, thanks!

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    JojoRice said:
    Murr agrees:

This weekend we rock Portland
  • JojoRice said:
    My wife watches an absurd amount of Hallmark movies... somehow the ones w/ Danica McKeller aren't as unbearable as the others. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    JojoRice said:
    My wife watches an absurd amount of Hallmark movies... somehow the ones w/ Danica McKeller aren't as unbearable as the others. 
    My wife does the same. 
    I seem to only manage to pay attention to the ones with Danica McKellar or Lacey Chabert in them.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • I want to give this a try and see if it's too vanilla or not.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    Poncier said:
    JojoRice said:
    Murr agrees:

:lol: was going to post something similar

I haven't watched it yet. I might check it out, not sure. I would like to rewatch the originals first. Don't think they are streaming on any of the services I have though :sad:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC