33 1/3 vs 45 LPS

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,427
given a choice between the two on a given lp title , which would you choose and why?
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    33 1/3 (unless I win the lottery).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,427
    brianlux said:
    33 1/3 (unless I win the lottery).

so your main consideration is price?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    P.S.  I assume we're talking LPs, right?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

well it IS in the title.. 

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

well it IS in the title.. 

Damn vision o' mine!
    12 Struggles You39ll Identify With If You Have Crap Eyesight

• Assuming 45 will be synonymous with better audio quality, 45. 

so what I am looking at initially is the AP Remastered reissue of SRV The Sky Is Crying.

They have the 45 rpm in stock. 180 gram vinyl.

discogs has a 200 gram 33 1/3 version put out at the same time. because its resell its inflated.

this title, between the 2 sites both would cost the same.

So just questioning why I would want a 45 rpm LP over the 33 1/3 for this and future purchases.. 

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    mickeyrat said:
    so what I am looking at initially is the AP Remastered reissue of SRV The Sky Is Crying.

discogs has a 200 gram 33 1/3 version put out at the same time. because its resell its inflated.

So just questioning why I would want a 45 rpm LP over the 33 1/3 for this and future purchases.. 
    the only 45 LP I have is the Foo Fighters Wasting Light. Every time I put it on I forget to change the speed until after the record starts. Every damn time!
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

the only 45 LP I have is the Foo Fighters Wasting Light. Every time I put it on I forget to change the speed until after the record starts. Every damn time!

hmm, hadnt considered that potential.Already thought of flipping records sooner...

• A 45 cut is going to sound slightly better on amazing systems. If your system is ok to good, then go with whatever speed you would rather play them at. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I’m not a fan of 45 LPs at all.

I will generally avoid them at all costs. I believe I only own two 45 LPs out of 350+ records. I don’t care if the audio quality is better. I’m not that big of an audiophile. I find having to flip a record after 1 maybe two tracks and remembering to have to change the speed on the turntable to be a hassle. Same can be said for my take on 7” 45s.

• I have the 45 In Rainbows album and I like it a bunch.
    There is one good reason I would not want very many 45 RPM LPs:  Having to lift the platter and change the belt from 33 1/3 to 45 on my Project Carbon Debut.  It's bad enough that I have to do that with 7" singles (and  some 12" singles), but since I mostly listen to LPs, that would get old fast. 

• Belt changing is my only issue as well. Especially since there is a cover over the belt drive where I would change it. 
  • But I have to say, if flipping records, regardless if its every 10-15 (for 45rpm) minutes or every 15-22 (for 33), is an issue, perhaps spinning records isn't your right medium for listening.
    But I have to say, if flipping records, regardless if its every 10-15 (for 45rpm) minutes or every 15-22 (for 33), is an issue, perhaps spinning records isn't your right medium for listening.

"Flipping" a record (turning the record over, as opposed to reselling it), that is one of the rituals and joys of listening to an LP!

• agreed
  • I'm no expert, but 45s sound better on my Pro-ject. Takes 3 seconds to change the speed. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I bought Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning which was on 12" vinyl but at 45pm.   Super annoying when there's only 2 songs per side.. lol.  So much record flipping.   I eventually bought the regular versions :)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I think QOTSA Like Clockwork was a 12/45
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 33 1/3

Changing sides too often suck.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • LIGHTNING BOLT quotSEVENSquot BOX SET PRESALE - HAVE ARRIVED  Pearl Jam  Community
    AW124797 said:
    I'm no expert, but 45s sound better on my Pro-ject. Takes 3 seconds to change the speed. 

Is that a newer Project?  With mine, you have to lift the platter off.  My hands are not so steady these days so I have to hold my breath and con-cen-trate:lol:

• AW124797AW124797 Posts: 641
    edited September 2021
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    I'm no expert, but 45s sound better on my Pro-ject. Takes 3 seconds to change the speed. 

Is that a newer Project?  With mine, you have to lift the platter off.  My hands are not so steady these days so I have to hold my breath and con-cen-trate:lol:
    It's about 2 years old. I'm very happy with it. I guess I got lucky when the time came to upgrade, most new quality vinyl players had exposed belt mechanism (if I remember right). Also, I think I've read somewhere that 45 LPs are cut at slower speed, therefore, better quality pressings. 
    Post edited by AW124797 on
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:

It's about 2 years old. I'm very happy with it. I guess I got lucky when the time came to upgrade, most new quality vinyl players had exposed belt mechanism (if I remember right). Also, I think I've read somewhere that 45 LPs are cut at slower speed, therefore, better quality pressings. 

Good to know about the exposed belt.  I'll keep that in mind if I ever get around to replacing my TT.

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

I have a different album, but the same. Every time!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    45s do have better sound, the flipping every 12 minutes can get old. So those cancel out, the biggest negative I think about when getting a 45 is that if it is an album I am very familiar with I hate how the sequencing is messed up by having to fiip or change records. One that comes to mind immediately is Marvin Gaye's What's Going On... the sequence is totally messed up by now having gaps where there shouldn't be.... so If I am happy with the 33, I probably don't seek out the 45.
    MedozK said:
    45s do have better sound, the flipping every 12 minutes can get old. So those cancel out, the biggest negative I think about when getting a 45 is that if it is an album I am very familiar with I hate how the sequencing is messed up by having to fiip or change records. One that comes to mind immediately is Marvin Gaye's What's Going On... the sequence is totally messed up by now having gaps where there shouldn't be.... so If I am happy with the 33, I probably don't seek out the 45.

Just make them bigger.  Problem solved!
    Stormville flea market in upstate NY with a great find- Awesome quotThink Bigquot  giant Beatles record fro  Vinyl records Vintage vinyl records Vinyl  records for sale