Options

POLL- THE WEAKEST LINK: TOM HANKS FILMS - ROUND 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Now on the ROUND 2 of the 'WEAKEST LINK'. I decided to go with some of my favorite Tom Hanks films. Pick the film that you think is the WEAKEST LINK from the ones provided.  I do know he has been in MANY good movies, I just picked some of my favorite films to include in the list. Again, thanks to everyone who plays.

Now to the 1st Round to determine the BEST of these TOM HANKS films.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) movie with the most votes. We will then move on to ROUND 3.

Big (1988)
A League of Their Own (1992)
Sleepless in Seattle (1993) - Eliminated Round 1
Philadelphia (1993)
Forrest Gump (1994)
Apollo 13 (1995)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Road to Perdition (2002)
Cast Away (2000)
The Terminal (2004) - Eliminated Round 1

POLL- THE WEAKEST LINK: TOM HANKS FILMS - ROUND 2 38 votes

Big (1988)
7%
cutzmickeyratGern Blansten 3 votes
26%
hedonistdarwinstheorymcgruff10Asterisk on the StreetF Me In The BrainPJNB1ThoughtKnownSmallestOceansJojoRiceMeltdown99 10 votes
Philadelphia (1993)
5%
MayDay10JimmyV 2 votes
Forrest Gump (1994)
7%
Yefaerebusbrianlux 3 votes
Apollo 13 (1995)
10%
goldrushBLACK35OffSheGoes35West Coast Dreamgirl 4 votes
7%
PoncierdankindPap 3 votes
Road to Perdition (2002)
28%
pjhawks2-feign-reluctanceLedbetterman10mfc2006BentleyspopGlowGirleeriepadaveHobbesbbiggsMatts3221JPPJ84 11 votes
Cast Away (2000)
5%
josevolutiontempo_n_groove 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    This one is tough!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Gern and mickey, you joyless fuckers! 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Big gets a ding.  Ouch
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Road to Perdition (2002)
    Big is wonderful! From next round on this is getting really tough 
  • Options
    Forrest Gump is the absolute worst performance (absolute dogshit film) on this list, but my aversion to Spielberg keeps clicking on Saving Private Ryan.

(I have never bothered to watch The Terminal, so it wouldn't have felt right voting for it in the last round. Seeing as it's already out, I gather I'm not missing much by avoiding it. Having said that, I do have a soft spot for Sleepless in Seattle.)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Road to Perdition (2002)
    dankind said:
    Forrest Gump is the absolute worst performance (absolute dogshit film) on this list, but my aversion to Spielberg keeps clicking on Saving Private Ryan.

(I have never bothered to watch The Terminal, so it wouldn't have felt right voting for it in the last round. Seeing as it's already out, I gather I'm not missing much by avoiding it. Having said that, I do have a soft spot for Sleepless in Seattle.)
    What’s wrong with Spielberg? So do you actually dislike Private Ryan or is it Spielberg‘s involvement? What about E.T. or Schindler‘s List?
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:

What’s wrong with Spielberg? So do you actually dislike Private Ryan or is it Spielberg‘s involvement? What about E.T. or Schindler‘s List?
    I cannot stand Schindler's List or Saving Private RyanE.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is one of my favorite films, as is Jaws.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Road to Perdition (2002)
    dankind said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:

I cannot stand Schindler's List or Saving Private RyanE.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is one of my favorite films, as is Jaws.
    Fair enough. Never watched Jaws. I’m not sure I could stomach it 😄
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:

Jaws is one of the greatest films of all time.
    But I'm with Dan on Spielberg, somewhere along the way, maybe late 80s to early 90s he became far too full of himself.
    And the changes he made to ET for the 20th anniversary release should be reason enough to exile him from Hollywood.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Road to Perdition (2002)
    Poncier said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:

But I'm with Dan on Spielberg, somewhere along the way, maybe late 80s to early 90s he became far too full of himself.
    And the changes he made to ET for the 20th anniversary release should be reason enough to exile him from Hollywood.
    Isn’t pretty much everyone in Hollywood full of themselves? ;) I didn’t even know about any changes. I‘ll stick to the original 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:

I don't know what was more disturbing: the walkies replacing the guns or the bath scene.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:

I don't know what was more disturbing: the walkies replacing the guns or the bath scene.
    Damn terrorists hippies
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    JPPJ84 said:
    Poncier said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    dankind said:

Isn’t pretty much everyone in Hollywood full of themselves? ;) I didn’t even know about any changes. I‘ll stick to the original 
    Yes. Yes, they are. 
  • Options
    Cast Away (2000)
    The Terminal didn't make it out of the first round?

I thought that was a fantastic movie.

Appointment Do You Have An Appointment GIF - Appointment Do You Have An  Appointment The Terminal - Discover amp Share GIFs
  • Options
    Cast Away (2000)
    dankind said:

What kind of asshole doesn't like... uh, well, never mind...
  • Options
    dankind said:

A tight one!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Cast Away (2000)
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

A tight one!
    I don't think your definition of "tight" is accurate in this instance.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    Big (1988)
    road to perdition is a great movie.
    wtf is wrong with you people
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    We are not joyless fuckers. 

Et tu, cutz?

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    And I don’t know if I can vote against a movie with Lori Petty in the cast. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Forrest Gump (1994)
    My favorite are Big, Cast Away, Philadelphia, Apollo 13 and... not on the list???... News of the World. 
    Runner up, "A League of Their Own" because at the beginning of COVID Hanks said "nobody cries in baseball", and I cried.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I’m quite puzzled as well. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Forrest Gump (1994)
    mickeyrat said:

We took too much acid and stared at the sun.  Which is why so many of us love "Big". 
    If I were into noir and lots of blood and guts I might like Road to Perdition.  I hear it's gotten a lot of positive reviews.  Only I don't care for either noir or ultra violent films and thus have yet to watch it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Big (1988)
    dankind said:

You are insane. Please get help.

Gump is a fantastic movie and SPR is epic just for the beach storming scenes alone.

The Terminal was bad in my opinion. Just not interesting at all.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,279
    Apollo 13 (1995)
    I liked The Terminal more than about half of the films on this list.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I am with Dankind on Gump. 
    Gump is so overrated, to me.  Everyone I knew loved it when it first came out and I was the only one that thought it was laughable.
    As a comedy, there are parts that work.
    As a serious movie I did not like it much.

I do think the beach storming scenes in SPR were crazy and I liked many parts of that movie.  The overall movie?  Watched it 2x.  Once in theater and once right when it was out to watch at home.  Since then I only watch the start if I catch it on. 
    Not my least favorite but not my favorite on this list. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    Love Forrest Gump.  It's a top 10 movie for me.  I do think that as a film itself it hasn't aged well compared to others.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Cast Away (2000)
    JojoRice said:
    Love Forrest Gump.  It's a top 10 movie for me.  I do think that as a film itself it hasn't aged well compared to others.  
    One of the greatest lines ever uttered in film came from A League of Their Own.

"There's no crying in baseball!"

This movie is also a nice historical piece and gave the Women of baseball a proper place in history when they were all but forgotten about.

I wonder if any of them are even still alive?  I saw one player at a card show back in 1998.
  • Options
    dankind said:

Gump is a fantastic movie and SPR is epic just for the beach storming scenes alone.

I am getting help, goddamn it!

And my therapist thinks Gump sucks, too. :lol:

SPR: 25 minutes of handheld mastery (with a shitty Spielberg gag, to boot; i.e., helmet guy) do not excuse the following 2 hours+ of jingoism and boredom.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Big (1988)
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I am getting help, goddamn it!

And my therapist thinks Gump sucks, too. :lol:

SPR: 25 minutes of handheld mastery (with a shitty Spielberg gag, to boot; i.e., helmet guy) do not excuse the following 2 hours+ of jingoism and boredom.
    The final battle scenes were very good. I wasn't bored with it at all but Corporal Upham's pussyness did piss me off a few times. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
This discussion has been closed.