Is the dream Dead?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,126
edited September 2021 in The Porch

There seems to have been a big push for the Ten re-release (the release in general did even get a TV ad) and the Collector's Edition Box Set was sold everywhere music could be bought. The future looked bright for the Pearl Jam catalog getting a treatment similar to what Metallica is doing with theirs - album by album. But when it was time for the follow up VS, it was bundled with Vitalogy and only sold through the Tenclub. I would imagine this would not have been an action taken if the Ten Collector's Edition Box Set had sold through the roof. 

And then it stopped. I think Jeff Ament said in an interview the band was done looking backwards and wanted to look forwards. I would imagine, looking forward to better income streams was part of the equation after the VS/Vitalogy box set. Because No Code never followed. Other than 25 people getting a crystal clear vinyl version.

So - is the dream of reaching Riot Act completely dead?

The box sets could have been done more efficiently (personal opinion). Falling into the tired trap of trinkets and "backstage pass reproductions" was off from the beginning. The world is burning, the choice to make a backstage pass reproduction is not one having to be made. Could have collected photos of all those kind of memorabilia-things in a nifty little hardcover book ( akin to that wonderful edition of DEEP with all the tour memorabilia).

Also, shoving duplicate versions of the albums in there by having both CDs and LPs was unnecessary (personal opinion). Again, the world is burning. Just have LP versions - or give people the choice of a LP or a CD boxset. Like they did with the Pearl Jam Twenty documentary where you made the choice of DVD or Bluray. 

Also, the former box sets should have included a documentary or a hardcover book covering the albums ins and outs and that period in their career (personal opinion). Instead of trinkets and fluff.

Anyways -- is there any chance a box set for Riot Act will ever be released? Didn't they professionally film a concert other than MGS for the 2003 tour (I wanna say Bonner Springs or a city on B?), throw that concert in there on Bluray with a Dolby Atmos mix. Find some concert from that era (December 5 2002?) not yet released for the Live vinyl. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments