What about Women Poster Artists?

belinda27belinda27 Posts: 731
edited September 2021 in The Porch

Remember Pearl Jam’s induction into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame? In particular that speech by Stone Gossard when he thanked “the incredible artists who have created what might be one of our most enduring artifacts: all of our incredible tour posters.”

Well I say to PJ - 

Please include women in your enduring artefacts. 

Over the 30 years of the band touring we have only ever seen COLLABORATIONS such as with Dabs & Myla or Soto & McPherson. 

The only female only poster to my recollection that has been created was not for a PJ show, but for MoPop Seattle by Rosie Alyea. 

I am not trying to be down on PJ at all, because I love the band - I love the posters and I love the merch. I know PJ has been so amazing with their ongoing commitments to social justice and supporting Women’s rights and freedoms. I love that PJ have SoundGirls and other trailblazers making great paths and opportunities within the music industry. A Women strong crew and show presence is to be admired. I love knowing I can see them and feel safe up the front in GA etc. PJ are awesome at helping shine/share their spotlight on matters of inequality and importance. I love seeing PJ members speak out in support of women , holding signs at women’s marches etc … I just feel like why not show support with posters too? I was so proud as a PJ fan to buy and wear my Planned Parenthood T-shirt.

My long winded point is this - please do better with female artists, let us see some posters by female artists so we too can raise them up! 

Imagine how awesome it would be for all of us to beam with pride that Women are represented in PJ’s poster legacy too. I would love to think that at some point we would have more posters made by women than posters featuring the female form as a mermaid. ( I do love mermaids it’s just a point ) 

I don’t want anyone to think that Bailey Race’s Women’s symbol isn’t appreciated or that it should have been made by a woman. I am saying - Let’s also see Female artists in this space. 

Unless we see women in this space it will be harder for future generations to imagine they could be artists too. 

Thanks for reading.

Post edited by belinda27 on

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    edited September 2021
    Who do you recommend? Probably more a conversation to be had with mrtsurt than the band. 

I would love to see one by Jessica Seamans. Part of the landland duo.
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    edited September 2021
    Zazzcorp and Sara Deck also do some amazing prints. I would love to see them pop up at some point too
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Who do you recommend? Probably more a conversation to be had with mrtsurt than the band. 

I would love to see one by Jessica Seamans. Part of the landland duo.
    I like your suggestions for artists and I will check them out - I think Tara McPherson would be great, Hookie Duke ( Erica Williams ), Alexandria Fischer, Maricela Avina, are ones I can think of on the spot. I don’t have all the answers and I don’t have an artist agenda. I feel like it’s something that is worth thinking about.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    edited September 2021
    Good thread.  Op can you provide us with examples of women artists creating  concert posters?  Thanks.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Ng Yin Shian.  Can look kinda hokey at times, but still feels real fresh. I'm all in.
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 755
    I agree Sara Deck does some great prints.  Love Tara McPherson as well.
  • JamesNJamesN Posts: 191
    Jen Bartel, Tracie Ching, Sara Deck, Paige Reynolds, Erika Williams all created bad-ass posters for Metallica's '19 tour (Tracie 2x!), so it's definitely possible...
    Wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well...
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,880
    Very good point, and the paragraphs of support are well written, but shouldn't be needed. Get more artists who are women, lots of amazing work out there, just do it.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    All for it OP! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,256
    Would love to see Ise Ananphada do a Pearl Jam poster.

We need more Tara McPherson PJ prints. She's only done one with Jeff Soto.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Mrtsurt commented today that we wouldn’t believe how many female artists they ask to do PJ prints that turn them down or don’t even reply back. 
  • Mrtsurt commented today that we wouldn’t believe how many female artists they ask to do PJ prints that turn them down or don’t even reply back. 

Hopefully her comment and my support get the job done for at least one! 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Great thread. Necessary addition to their poster artists. 
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,616
    I don't know if she's ever done concert posters, but Jenny Frison would SLAY. Look her up!
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • Great thread! I hope it happens!

Do we know who mrtsurt is IRL? Obviously invoked in the merch but wondering if we knew who he was.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Mrtsurt commented today that we wouldn’t believe how many female artists they ask to do PJ prints that turn them down or don’t even reply back. 
    Maybe they don't wanna paint skulls and skeletons. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Mrtsurt commented today that we wouldn’t believe how many female artists they ask to do PJ prints that turn them down or don’t even reply back. 

That's pretty surprising

• is it though?
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
  • is it though?
    Why in the world wouldn't it be.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    edited September 2021
    It's surprising to me that a woman artist would steer clear of a Pearl Jam gig poster. First and foremost, it is unbelievable exposure for an artist and it can be fairly lucrative as there's usually a pretty high likelihood that the APs would sell out (a lot of times almost instantly). Secondly, I have a hard time thinking of other all-male bands that champion women's causes to the extent Pearl Jam does (see their participation in women's marches, their comments on the recent abortion laws in TX, etc... as examples). They are a band that has been focused on activism since day 1 and women's rights have always been included in that. If I had to guess, I'd just chalk it up to those specific artists opting to pursue other creative projects rather than rock show posters vs it being a PJ- specific thing.
  • is it though?
    look at the demographic of the fan base. sure there are some women in the crowd, but all in all its a sausage party. if you get out of the pj bubble for a sec, there are few to no women that listen to PJ, its only natural there are not many female artists
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22

I hope so too.
  • is it though?
    look at the demographic of the fan base. sure there are some women in the crowd, but all in all its a sausage party. if you get out of the pj bubble for a sec, there are few to no women that listen to PJ, its only natural there are not many female artists
    Whoa whoa. But also yeah rings some truth. I feel like at shows it’s at least 1/4-1/3 female? 

But for outside the PJ bubble, the women listeners to anything in the genre has a similar population. So not PJ specific.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    It's surprising to me that a woman artist would steer clear of a Pearl Jam gig poster. First and foremost, it is unbelievable exposure for an artist and it can be fairly lucrative as there's usually a pretty high likelihood that the APs would sell out (a lot of times almost instantly). Secondly, I have a hard time thinking of other all-male bands that champion women's causes to the extent Pearl Jam does (see their participation in women's marches, their comments on the recent abortion laws in TX, etc... as examples). They are a band that has been focused on activism since day 1 and women's rights have always been included in that. If I had to guess, I'd just chalk it up to those specific artists opting to pursue other creative projects rather than rock show posters vs it being a PJ- specific thing.
    Yup, that's what I meant to say lol. Very well said.
    And I get that possibly 99.9% of PJ fans are men, but it's art.

• is it though?
    Whoa whoa. But also yeah rings some truth. I feel like at shows it’s at least 1/4-1/3 female? 

But for outside the PJ bubble, the women listeners to anything in the genre has a similar population. So not PJ specific.
    I totally agree with the sentiments from the OP

however I do wonder how many of those 1/3 to 1/4 of the females in the crowd were brought by their partner. I vividly remember a PJ show in London when my wife was less than two weeks away from her due date. She wasn’t there for the band for sure. She was relieved when Ed had voice problems and rescheduled night  2.  Point being she is one of those females in the crowd. I am still paying for that one too, bad move by me 😂

however I don’t see what the gender makeup of the fan base has to do with art. I’d buy a female artists print no problem, plus maybe it would be different for a change. It’s all upside really. 
  • coerycoery Posts: 57

Didn't know my comment made it to the forums. LOL Please also note the reply by zazzcorp, a female illustrator.

Let me just say that I'm one of the die-hard female fans whose husband tags along to the shows. Don't assume the sausage fest is all dudes who chose to be there (though I'll admit the majority probably are).