Pearl Jam > P’hearl Jaham / *Update*

ao252010ao252010 Posts: 8
edited February 13 in The Porch
I appreciate the way the band has grown in regards to musicianship but I find myself enjoying Ed’s singing less and less as he insists on adding more and more syllables to all the lyrics. 

I can’t be the only one who hears it right?

****Update****

it’s completely gone in Dark Matter, easily my favorite vocal track since Avocado. 
Post edited by ao252010 on

Comments

• I do  hear it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    Thanks to the syllable increase, we now understand Yellow Ledbetter. So, I say thanks Ed! 

Season 2 Martin Tv Show GIF by Martin
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Thanks to the syllable increase, we now understand Yellow Ledbetter. So, I say thanks Ed! 

Season 2 Martin Tv Show GIF by Martin
    Well there’s that. 🤔 😅
  • I had to think through some of my favorite and not so favorite songs and I agree with you.  This post, and especially the title, is clever. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,925
    Thought this post was gonna be about Klingons being into PJ, but I was misled...
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Yep.  You are not alone.  I think he had to do something to replace the power he lost back in the mid-90’s.  On the whole a much better singer but gets breathy at times like you mention.  Obviously intentional and he likes it.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    Yep.  You are not alone.  I think he had to do something to replace the power he lost back in the mid-90’s.  On the whole a much better singer but gets breathy at times like you mention.  Obviously intentional and he likes it.
    Yup. I also remember reading an interview with him when he said something along the lines of if he didn't do it, he wouldn't be singing anymore. So, it's helped to prolong his career.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    edited September 2021
    Agreed but I don't think he really has a choice. Sounds like he needs to do it in order to hit certain notes. I started noticing him doing this around 2015-2016? Maybe earlier? Still an incredible singer, obviously - just different that's all. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Go Animal said:
    Thought this post was gonna be about Klingons being into PJ, but I was misled...
    I thought it was a Yiddish speaking cover band...
  • mfc2006 said:
    Yep.  You are not alone.  I think he had to do something to replace the power he lost back in the mid-90’s.  On the whole a much better singer but gets breathy at times like you mention.  Obviously intentional and he likes it.
    Yup. I also remember reading an interview with him when he said something along the lines of if he didn't do it, he wouldn't be singing anymore. So, it's helped to prolong his career.

I couldn’t fathom someone maintaining the sheer volume Ed had in the 90s for very many years. 

If that technique is helping them continue to perform I’m glad it’s working. 
  • I think  there  are two parts.
     One live yes he sings differently  because  he has to.
    Two sudio songs and song writing  he does do this  lyrically. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,918
    edited September 2021
    I don't think it only has to do with "saving" himself live due to less power in his voice.

He does it in the acoustic songs also(?). 

Or am I being ignorant here, not being a singer.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Its the  range. He cant have the  range so has to use other techniques. 
    But i do think  he writes that way now too
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    I sing (not nearly as good as Ed, of course) and I can tell you that I've also had to change my delivery as I've gotten older. If I were to go for it every time I played a gig, my voice would be shot by the middle of the set (and for days after). Instead of holding or rising to one note, I take a breath and then go for it. 

This also comes into play while recording as well. Just my $0.02.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    mfc2006 said:
    I sing (not nearly as good as Ed, of course) and I can tell you that I've also had to change my delivery as I've gotten older. If I were to go for it every time I played a gig, my voice would be shot by the middle of the set (and for days after). Instead of holding or rising to one note, I take a breath and then go for it. 

This also comes into play while recording as well. Just my $0.02.
    That's $2k in wisdom my friend. Haha! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Thought this post was written by a Phish Phan 🧐. No interest now, carry on 😉😂
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Matt Cameron!!
    🙌🏼