Stone Gossard Speaks! w/Henrik Tuxen... Episode 4: Pearl Jam, the Business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLA-KoFowUw

Ryan Lendt

Welcome to the next installment of our very-gradually-re-occuring-segment Stone Gossard Speaks! where I get to share a never-before-heard interview conducted by our Craziest Friend, friend of PJ, and DDRJ (Decorated Danish Rock Journalist), Henrik Tuxen.

Buy Henrik's Book: https://www.captainkiddbooks.com/pearljam

Need help with something specific? I do virtual lessons! Schedule one here... https://www.ryanlendt.com/lessons

Want to support the channel? Join the Craziest Friends Club!
http://www.Patreon.com/RyanLendt

https://www.ryanlendt.com
IG: RyanLStudios

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,261

Pearl Jam – More than music

I’m very happy for this one. (interview/Stone, April 2020) Thanks to my great North American friends Ryan Lendt and Kara V Strickland for putting this together. This goes out to all my South American friends, who I first met on Estadio National Nov 4th 2015 + Seattle Home Shows Aug 2018, and basically people all over the World I’ve met loving this band. I think this piece on Stone goes to illustrate why this band have such a longevity, beyond the chords, the singing, the music. 2 weeks ago I was on Danish Radio, participating in the celebration of ‘Ten’ turning 30. Journalist Sisse Jørgensen asked me why this record has become such a long-lasting classic. My best answer was that it was the overall integrity of the band, more than the actual recordings on Ten really. Great songs, but even more so, because they’ve grown and caught on different meanings and importance, due to interaction with a World wide crowd for three decades. Really, if you listen to the original tracks, Even Flow for one is pretty slow/loose and the reverb of the album in slightly overmuch.

But several of the songs has almost become ‘Parallel Universes’, to paraphrase a RHCP title. These clips Ryan has compiled illustrates some key factors that makes this band one of a kind and why they keep on being relevant and important beyond the music. The way Stone talks of the band being a consciousness business with an agenda for social change sums it up. PJ has been pioneers on pretty much all ‘buzz’ agendas of 2021 since the 90s, such as climate changes, inclusion, (gender)equality, questioning warfare, distribution of wealth, justice, voter registrations. Basically overall responsibility and action through all kinds of activism. The list is (very) long.

Through many years in music, I’ve attended a bunch of charity shows and various cool philanthropy. But never have I seen it to such a clever and orchestrated level, as PJ’s Home Shows in Seattle 2018. The band donated 1 million$, but pretty much activated the entire Seattle, from Starbucks, Microsoft, 150 restaurants, to the man/woman on the street. The end result was 11.5 million$ directed towards organized projects to prevent homelessness. A devastating and increasing problem, not at least in Seattle; also the homecity for some of the richest men and most prosperous brands and industries in the World. What a paradox. PJ brilliantly highlighted this and took action and reached out regionally in a very including way. This can only inspire. I know that Stone is very modest being asked about these things, but I know from sources in the band and management that he in many ways is the driving force and brain behind many of these efforts.

And the story from Santiago. Stone was literally struggling up to 10 minutes before the band hit the stage in front of 80.000 people to make sure that I’ve gotten my tickets. I was in the room next to him, and he didn’t even know.

These clips and stories in many ways illustrates how this friendship has enabled me to travel and meet like-minded all over the World. An on-going process which is rolling, rolling, rolling.. to this day and counting.

I saw PJ for the first time in November 1996, hung out with Eddie Vedder all night, who among other things asked if my own band would open for PJ if they were to play Scandinavia. I met the entire band, including Stone and his parents these nights in Barcelona and San Sebastian, and has enjoyed the spectacular gesture of these gentlemen’s friendship ever since. As some would know the bonds between us took a tragic, but also way stronger, turn, in the wake of what happened the tragic night on Roskilde Festival 2000.

My link to PJ and their acceptance to let me write and communicate about them in magazines, podcasts, TV, radio and books over the years has made a tremendous impact in my life. Not at least what I’ve been able to do for others through the generosity of PJ. For sure 100+ guest tickets in my name over the years.

Through the interaction, the music, the shows, and not at least through the extended writing, it’s clear that Eddie and the band has become the main role models of my adult life. Examples to follow for inspiration in many aspects of life. Dignity, integrity, modesty, bravery, cleverness, determination, mutual respect and the love and power of music.

More than anything I want to thank Stone, whom I’m humble and privileged to call my very good and close friend for now almost 25 years. Easy going, the greatest sense of humor but also the most generous man I’ve ever met.
    Feel free to share to all I’ve met along the PJ Road, and likeminded.

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,261
    Bump!