So will this years Vault vinyl be a costly hassle for European fans?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
edited August 2021 in The Porch
Last year the Vault was sold through the UK store but at the time of the UK leaving the European partnership causing future customs and costs. For all the proud, brave and beautiful European fans who enjoy the Vaults.

I'm guessing there is no plan to make it easy for European fans this year(?), or will a European shop start up day and date with the Vault pre-order? Or will European fans be to Vaults what the Finnish are to getting Pearl Jam concerts?

Too long didn't read:
With this years Vault - is this scene from Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare applicable to European fans? Or will a solution be in place?

https://youtu.be/xoM8UcB8tIg

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,675
    more like 'too long; watch something that takes longer', amirite?

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,675
    But it stands to reason if it was more expensive last year, it will be similar this year.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    Hopefully it will be a much better experience for Euro fans this time around. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• EnzedEnzed Posts: 486
    face it.  postage worldwide is fucked, and unless you live in the states expect the postage to cost more than the vinyl.
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    Was part of the issue with Moline that it was 4lps pushing it into the next weight bracket for shipping costs. 
    Kearnsy
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,282
    From a personal perspective I would like the U.K./Euro store to stay in the U.K.

Issue is more about their crazily high shipping rates. I’ve posted stuff many times to the EU at significantly cheaper cost. Not sure why they charge so much 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    on2legs said:
    Hopefully it will be a much better experience for Euro fans this time around. 
    You radiate positivity sir. :smirk:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    Enzed said:
    face it.  postage worldwide is fucked, and unless you live in the states expect the postage to cost more than the vinyl.
    US system is also in bad shape. Based on changes enacted under Trump, our rates will go up and service will slow starting in October if something isn’t changed.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,261
    Here's hoping the next Vault vinyl from the UK store won't charge $300 for just postage to Canada. 
  • Does @Rubysdad or @Santos L. Halper have any input?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,472
    I missed out on the last Vault because of the insane shipping so, unless they can sort it out for future releases (and I can find a decently priced copy of last year’s), I’m out of the Vault collecting game.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • EnzedEnzed Posts: 486
    goldrush said:
    I missed out on the last Vault because of the insane shipping so, unless they can sort it out for future releases (and I can find a decently priced copy of last year’s), I’m out of the Vault collecting game.
    I'm the same.  It's not just the tenclub, either, though it seems to be at the extreme end here.  There's many times I'll add something to my cart and once the shipping calcs are added I just close the browser down.

And you know what?  Life goes on.
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited November 2021
    Come on @Rubysdad @Santos L. Halper

Will you add a reasonable option for EU customers before the pre-order phase is over?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    There's a GBP £30 difference in shipping costs between UK and EU customers, and that is not all extra fees for Brexit. That's basically the entire cost of the vinyl itself. Cmon guys. Can do better than this.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    edited November 2021
    Edved82 said:
    There's a GBP £30 difference in shipping costs between UK and EU customers, and that is not all extra fees for Brexit. That's basically the entire cost of the vinyl itself. Cmon guys. Can do better than this.
    Shipping from the U.K. to the EU with tracked mail for that sized/weight of item is around £14. Just posted something to a friend in Europe a few days ago. I would offer to help a few of you but not sure if there would be issues with people posting all out to the same address (assuming there’s a 1 per household rule)
    Post edited by drfox on
  • This isn't really logical:

PJ Vault 1 - Seattle Jan 17th, 1992 - 2 Vinyl Book Sleeve
    Sold by Pearl Jam EU (Probity)
    This product will be released on Jan 21
    Shipped from United Kingdom

If you call it Pearl Jam EU why are you not selling it from the EU 
    @Rubysdad @Santos L. Halper 

Will a EU option be added? I mean if you named a company "EU" then I'd guess that would be a priority? 
  • They need to stop calling it an EU store and call it a UK store because the postage is a disgrace. A double vinyl costing €37.49 postage from the UK to Ireland is criminal. 

Meanwhile postage to northern ireland is €6. Ridiculous. 
  • I had a 4 disc vinyl (Stadium Arcadium) posted to me from the UK, signed and tracked and it cost €20. There is no way to justify this Vaults postage being as much as it is. 
  • They need to stop calling it an EU store and call it a UK store because the postage is a disgrace. A double vinyl costing €37.49 postage from the UK to Ireland is criminal. 

Actually, they do call it the UK store now. But this doesn’t change anything for fans in the EU. It would be great to know if they want to tackle this issue in the future or if they are fine with the way it is now. Maybe Santos could say something about this. 
    edited November 2021
    Being in the U.K. I’m really happy with the store location and hope it doesn’t change. Everyone should note it is now labelled as the “U.K. store” on PJ’s site, not the “European” store. So effectively there is no Euro store and you are in the same position as people in Canada who have to buy off the US and pay import fees etc. That’s not to say though that they shouldn’t open a third store in Europe (which I think they should!)

• drfox said:
    Being in the U.K. I’m really happy with the store location and hope it doesn’t change. Everyone should note it is now labelled as the “U.K. store” on PJ’s site, not the “European” store. So effectively there is no Euro store and you are in the same position as people in Canada who have to buy off the US and pay import fees etc. That’s not to say though that they shouldn’t open a third store in Europe (which I think they should!)

Just removing the EU-part post Brexit isn't helping anyone.
    Knowing Brexit was coming, opening up something in e.g. Germany so there would by now been a UK and a EU shop would have helped a lot of people.
    drfox said:

Just removing the EU-part post Brexit isn't helping anyone.
    Knowing Brexit was coming, opening up something in e.g. Germany so there would by now been a UK and a EU shop would have helped a lot of people.
    Agree. They should have a U.K. shop and an EU shop
  • axeljohan said:
    They need to stop calling it an EU store and call it a UK store because the postage is a disgrace. A double vinyl costing €37.49 postage from the UK to Ireland is criminal. 

Actually, they do call it the UK store now. But this doesn’t change anything for fans in the EU. It would be great to know if they want to tackle this issue in the future or if they are fine with the way it is now. Maybe Santos could say something about this. 
    it says UK/EU store on my computer
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2021
    My personal experience from buying vinyl is the cheapest shipping is from Germany. It costs me less to get a record shipped from Germany than from Edmonton (3 hours north) or anywhere else in Canada.  One place in particular charges €4.95 per record ($7.13CAD). That is less than half for any shipping rate within Canada! 

Perhaps PJ should consider placing the EU store in Germany? I’m not exactly sure how or why German shipping rates are so reasonable, but it would be wise for the 10c folks to explore this option. 
  • My personal experience from buying vinyl is the cheapest shipping is from Germany. It costs me less to get a record shipped from Germany than from Edmonton (3 hours north) or anywhere else in Canada.  One place in particular charges €4.95 per record ($7.13CAD). That is less than half for any shipping rate within Canada! 

Perhaps PJ should consider placing the EU store in Germany? I’m not exactly sure how or why German shipping rates are so reasonable, but it would be wise for the 10c folks to explore this option. 
    Yes. Ordering from Discogs - Germany has very good shipping prices. Subsided by the government maybe?
  • My personal experience from buying vinyl is the cheapest shipping is from Germany. It costs me less to get a record shipped from Germany than from Edmonton (3 hours north) or anywhere else in Canada.  One place in particular charges €4.95 per record ($7.13CAD). That is less than half for any shipping rate within Canada! 

Yes. Ordering from Discogs - Germany has very good shipping prices. Subsided by the government maybe?
    You bet. The place I am speaking of in particular is called grooves.land
    Found them on discogs and now just order new vinyl directly from them and the shipping is occasionally even cheaper when they don’t have to pay discogs for the transaction. It is my last resource when the local shops don’t have what I am looking for and Amazon isn’t blowing it out dirt cheap. 

But in general, as you said, German postage rates are very low.