What is you opinion of record, CD, and book ratings systems?

As the question is posed.
My own thought is that they are inaccurate and help lead to seller abuse.  I tend to go with #4, "very misleading and difficult to trust". 
And I wonder, with records, how much of the root of this problem extends back to the grade terms coupled with their definitions by Goldmine in the first place? I wonder how much of the confusion would have been cleared up in the first place if these terms had been used:
Sealed. (Not all sealed records are mint.  They can be dish-warped or even scratched.  Goldmine went soft on this one.)
Mint Minus/ Near Fine (As currently defined)
Very Good (very good should be very good, no need for the +)
Good (As currently defined as "very good")
Good minus (Barely passing as "good")
Poor
Trash

I rarely buy CD's on line so I have no opinion.

The same can be said for book ratings. A book in good condition should be in good condition.
I've been in the book business for many years and I rarely see a book described as "good" that I would call good. That's just poor use of English.
I have a copy of AllMusic's Jazz guide that I bought on-line. It has many marking, underlining, and highlighting throughout, library stamps and stickers, several dog-eared pages, and the wraps look like blankety blank. It was rated "very good". I kept it because it's heavy and return shipping would have been more than it's worth. It's serviceable, I just wish it had been rated correctly.
And what the heck is "acceptable?" Does that mean the waste disposal or possibly the recycling center will take it?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What is you opinion of record, CD, and book ratings systems? 2 votes

I think they are very well worded and defined, and are useful.
50%
West Coast Dreamgirl 1 vote
I think they are mostly well worded and defined, perhaps a bit misleading, but fairly useful.
0%
I think they are fairly misleading, but not totally, and only somewhat useful.
0%
I think they are very misleading and difficult to trust.
50%
brianlux 1 vote
I think they are extremely misleading and I do not trust them
0%

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,618
    Dumb/boring/irrelevant/uninteresting/stupid question?  Or is it because I forgot to make it anonymous? 
    shrug

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,971
    Hiya blux. The important thing is you keep trying.
  • I think they are very well worded and defined, and are useful.
    Hi Brian, I don't really follow the grading system myself, but I know that buying vinyl from discogs in Mint or Near Mint condition is very important to some people.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,618
    Hi Brian, I don't really follow the grading system myself, but I know that buying vinyl from discogs in Mint or Near Mint condition is very important to some people.

Ah ha!  The stone has rolled away from the Lazarus of polls.  :lol: 

I'm pretty much that way, Dreamgirl, although if the record is less common and in general is pricey and is truly a VG+, I'm good with that.  The only problem is, I have found that far too often, records rated on Discogs at VG+ are actually VG.  It's a bit of a crap shoot!

• I think they are very well worded and defined, and are useful.
    brianlux said:

Ah ha!  The stone has rolled away from the Lazarus of polls.  :lol: 

I'm pretty much that way, Dreamgirl, although if the record is less common and in general is pricey and is truly a VG+, I'm good with that.  The only problem is, I have found that far too often, records rated on Discogs at VG+ are actually VG.  It's a bit of a crap shoot!
    Go for Mint or Near Mint
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    Five stars!!!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12