Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,399
    So how much does health insurance cost in the US?  I've always been kind of curious what people (which would be interest to compare to the 40% of our tax dollars here in Canada that go to health care).
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,471
    Elective surgeries have been canceled here at this hospital for remainder of this week not sure about next week! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    What i can't understand is.
    My whole family except my mum and us 4 in this house have had covid over Christmas.  Now my brother and his wife are alcoholics  and smoke a pack a day.  High b.p.Double vaccinated  with different  vaccines. AZ and pfizer.
    Not one symptom. 
    The others very  mild . One unvaccinated  had it twice. Worse 2nd time and ill 10 days.
    Reading  above about children  worrys me. But how can the ones with poor health  have no symptoms. 
    I wonder if when this is all said and done they can trace the virus to attacking a specific gene or trait in people and that's why it could pass over one person and hit another hard.

It would be interesting and not out of the realms of science to figure that out.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    So how much does health insurance cost in the US?  I've always been kind of curious what people (which would be interest to compare to the 40% of our tax dollars here in Canada that go to health care).
    Almost $1000 a month.

$40 copays and still have to pay for lab work.

My primary care doctor used to be free until 2 years ago then they started charging me a copay for that too...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    My whole family except my mum and us 4 in this house have had covid over Christmas.  Now my brother and his wife are alcoholics  and smoke a pack a day.  High b.p.Double vaccinated  with different  vaccines. AZ and pfizer.
    Not one symptom. 
    The others very  mild . One unvaccinated  had it twice. Worse 2nd time and ill 10 days.
    Reading  above about children  worrys me. But how can the ones with poor health  have no symptoms. 
    I wonder if when this is all said and done they can trace the virus to attacking a specific gene or trait in people and that's why it could pass over one person and hit another hard.

It would be interesting and not out of the realms of science to figure that out.
    I suspect it's something like that.
    We've seen incredibly varied outcomes, from asymptomatic to death.
    Obviously, folks with compromised immune systems are more susceptible, but not everyone in a high-risk group has ended up gravely ill if they come in contact with the virus.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Poncier said:
    Not one symptom. 

I suspect it's something like that.
    We've seen incredibly varied outcomes, from asymptomatic to death.
    Obviously, folks with compromised immune systems are more susceptible, but not everyone in a high-risk group has ended up gravely ill if they come in contact with the virus.
    There is still so much we don’t know.  I found this article related to genetic predisposition to Alzheimer’s and its correlation to severe Covid outcomes pretty interesting:
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/alzheimers-and-covid-19-severity-a-genetic-link
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,379
    edited January 2022
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,936
    edited January 2022
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,164
    Zod said:
    I was paying $1600/month for me, wife, and two kids.....we dropped the two kids and put them on their own policies and now we pay about $1,080/month

That is just insurance.  Deductible is like $8K then coinsurance is like up to a total out of pocket of $12K or something.

So...if we have a year where we are healthy we likely just pay the $1080/month plus some minimal out of pocket.

If we were to have issues (accident, cancer, etc.) we would pay the $1080/month plus our max out of pocket of $12K
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I was paying $1600/month for me, wife, and two kids.....we dropped the two kids and put them on their own policies and now we pay about $1,080/month

That is just insurance.  Deductible is like $8K then coinsurance is like up to a total out of pocket of $12K or something.

So...if we have a year where we are healthy we likely just pay the $1080/month plus some minimal out of pocket.

If we were to have issues (accident, cancer, etc.) we would pay the $1080/month plus our max out of pocket of $12K
    Yep they penalize you for getting sick but give nothing back when you are healthy.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The US obviously needs a better system…

Just don’t look to Canadas shitty system.

the area I live in serves nearly 1 million people…we have 3 hospitals, 2 are being closed and being replaced by 1 hospital with less beds than we currently have…lol.  

Those 3 hospitals, 
    eventually 2, serve an area 2000 square kms.  

Imagine being an Parmedic…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Zod said:

Yep they penalize you for getting sick but give nothing back when you are healthy.
    And get this....for tax purposes only the medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income can be considered a tax deduction. Yet 100% of your mortgage interest is deductible.

Makes no fucking sense.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Zod said:

and do you remember (pre-ACA) the health insurance policies that had a cap on them? We used to have a plan that only covered $1mil....had a neighborhood kid develop cancer at 16 or 17. His insurance threw him to the curb once his cap was hit and refused to do a bone marrow transplant. His parents had to ask the community for help to save their son.  Disgusting.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,399
    Zod said:

What happens when you've got something mild or not that bad.  I have mild Asthma, of which I need to see a doctor from time to time to get my prescription renewed.  I would also assume there would be stuff like seeing a GP to do preventative stuff like prostate exams or mammograms kind of thing.   Is that all out of pocket because it would most likely be below the deductible?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,379
    edited January 2022
    nicknyr15 said:

sure looks like ole granny on twitter. that little blue bird is a tell.

oh , edit to add , appears to have originated with occupy democrats....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    No country is going to prioritize the health of their citizens as a first priority.  The government would prefer you in the ground once you retire and have to rely more on the system…the government is all about take, take …. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    In Quebec they are considering not allowing unvaccinated to buy alcohol or cannabis…

More proof we choose the dumb to lead.

visit any indigenous community to buy alcohol or cannabis…

there is no shortage of black market cannabis and alcohol being sold in Canada…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

What happens when you've got something mild or not that bad.  I have mild Asthma, of which I need to see a doctor from time to time to get my prescription renewed.  I would also assume there would be stuff like seeing a GP to do preventative stuff like prostate exams or mammograms kind of thing.   Is that all out of pocket because it would most likely be below the deductible?
    The ACA insurance allows for an annual checkup I think. Otherwise you would just have the office co-pay of maybe $30 or something.

I can't say for sure but it might allow for recommended mammograms and colonoscopies, etc. The ACA insurance is proactive rather than reactive. I was surprised when we first signed up and started getting notifications to get an annual checkup, etc. 

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,828
    No country is going to prioritize the health of their citizens as a first priority.  The government would prefer you in the ground once you retire and have to rely more on the system…the government is all about take, take …. 
    This statement is kind of silly.  The gov't is made up of people, not androids.  So your argument is that the representatives elected, many of which are older themselves, want you and the rest of their fellow citizens in the ground as quickly as possible?  
  • Options
    This blows my mind. I know the  nhs gets a hard rap but im so glad i live here. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Our system is so fucked up. Profit at every level.

My wife had to have a hysterectomy a few years ago. The doctor/surgeon was her OBGYN at the hospital where the procedure was performed.

We got to the hospital that morning, checked in, gave our insurance info that they already had, etc.

Had the procedure...she was there two nights I think.

Then about six weeks later we get a bill for $80K because our insurance had not been notified ahead of time.  The hospital got it worked out but give me a fucking break.

• Options

My wife had to have a hysterectomy a few years ago. The doctor/surgeon was her OBGYN at the hospital where the procedure was performed.

We got to the hospital that morning, checked in, gave our insurance info that they already had, etc.

Then about six weeks later we get a bill for $80K because our insurance had not been notified ahead of time.  The hospital got it worked out but give me a fucking break.
    That is so fucked up…..but I will say every procedure myself or anyone else I insure has had I was told ahead of time that it was my responsibility to get it approved with my insurance company first. Ass backwards.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,648
    Agree, Gern.  There needs to be a profit motivation to get good people and incentivize innovation, but I would love to get rid of the profit margin going to insurance companies somehow.  
  • Options

That is so fucked up…..but I will say every procedure myself or anyone else I insure has had I was told ahead of time that it was my responsibility to get it approved with my insurance company first. Ass backwards.
    yeah that's good practice but the lady that checked us in said she would get the approval for us...like I said, the hospital was all over it but it was still shocking.

• Options

Worked out?  What is there to "work out".  You pay insurance and you get care where it allows you to.  What was up the Insurance company's ass that it was a thing in the first place?  Jeeze...

I wouldn't have paid it.  Take me to collections.  It doesn't show up on your credit anyways.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,828
    Agree, Gern.  There needs to be a profit motivation to get good people and incentivize innovation, but I would love to get rid of the profit margin going to insurance companies somehow.  
    Right, it's just another entity taking a vig. 
  • Options
    insurance company profits + cost is the drag on medical expenses....it's fucked up

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    This statement is kind of silly.  The gov't is made up of people, not androids.  So your argument is that the representatives elected, many of which are older themselves, want you and the rest of their fellow citizens in the ground as quickly as possible?  
    Why?  Your government cares so much about people's health Biden would rather give the well to do 12500 to buy an electric vehicle...lol. That's the same thing in Canada...if you got the bucks you get better healthcare, if you got the bucks the government
    subsides your lifestyle...if you are low-income/poor...fuck you take what we give you...be thankful.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Religious leaders are people too...they are still con men, just politicians...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Why?  Your government cares so much about people's health Biden would rather give the well to do 12500 to buy an electric vehicle...lol. That's the same thing in Canada...if you got the bucks you get better healthcare, if you got the bucks the government
    subsides your lifestyle...if you are low-income/poor...fuck you take what we give you...be thankful.
    uh....you need to review the ACA that passed under Obama/Biden. Massive benefit to lower income people.

This discussion has been closed.