The Linda Lindas

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    There were 2 bands I discovered during the most lockdown part of the pandemic that I swore I had to see live when live shows started again. The Linda Lindas were one of them, and I've now seen this power quartet once at Newport Folk Fest, once in their own sold out headlining show in my town (and brought my 13 yr old daughter & 2 of her friends), and I will next bring my daughter to see them open for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, another epic mesmerizing lead singer, and I am SO STOKED for that one too!

The oldest band member in the Linda Lindas is 17; the youngest is their drummer who is ELEVEN! And she KICKS IT as she's not only a very good drummer, she's one of the better singers in the band too!

So I wanted to shout these power punk rock slayers up, they are a force and it's only going to get better as they get older!

On the parenting front, it was SUPER INTERESTING to talk to a few of their parents (who are road crew or just on the road with them) about  parenting young people who are taking off in fame and yet SO YOUNG.  They seem to have a very very healthy "road life", but I wonder if the parents really realize how hard it is to come off the road and "be normal again"?  I think they'll be fine but I think it'll be harder than they imagine....
    Here's the same song from a club show, much more how they are. And gotta love the leadership at the beginning :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw-eUd2BH8Q
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    JH6056 said:
    There were 2 bands I discovered during the most lockdown part of the pandemic that I swore I had to see live when live shows started again. The Linda Lindas were one of them, and I've now seen this power quartet once at Newport Folk Fest, once in their own sold out headlining show in my town (and brought my 13 yr old daughter & 2 of her friends), and I will next bring my daughter to see them open for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, another epic mesmerizing lead singer, and I am SO STOKED for that one too!

The oldest band member in the Linda Lindas is 17; the youngest is their drummer who is ELEVEN! And she KICKS IT as she's not only a very good drummer, she's one of the better singers in the band too!

So I wanted to shout these power punk rock slayers up, they are a force and it's only going to get better as they get older!

On the parenting front, it was SUPER INTERESTING to talk to a few of their parents (who are road crew or just on the road with them) about  parenting young people who are taking off in fame and yet SO YOUNG.  They seem to have a very very healthy "road life", but I wonder if the parents really realize how hard it is to come off the road and "be normal again"?  I think they'll be fine but I think it'll be harder than they imagine....
    How was Newport? I have been to the folk festival there twice. It is so much fun.

edited August 2022
    GlowGirl said:
    JH6056 said:

How was Newport? I have been to the folk festival there twice. It is so much fun.

Newport was fantastic! I'd always heard of it but never really thought it would be my thing. Went for the 1st time in 2019 and I've been hooked ever since, went again as one of my 1st live events in 2021, and then this time. I have every intention of going next year too.

Aside from the epic surprise appearances by Paul Simon on Sat and Joni Mitchell on Sun (which was sooo incredible and epic and all the gigantic descriptive words!), I love that I saw the Roots and Goose and the Linda Lindas and this set called "Black Opry Revue" which was Black Americana artists, some of which I KNOW I will be hearing about and reading about as more people catch on to them. Dinosaur Jr even played, but it was right against something I wanted to see badly so I missed them this time.

I highly recommend it, and you never know who will play when you buy tix, you only find out after you've bought. But I now know it'll always be worth it!

What years did you go @Glowgirl ?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    JH6056 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    JH6056 said:

Newport was fantastic! I'd always heard of it but never really thought it would be my thing. Went for the 1st time in 2019 and I've been hooked ever since, went again as one of my 1st live events in 2021, and then this time. I have every intention of going next year too.

Aside from the epic surprise appearances by Paul Simon on Sat and Joni Mitchell on Sun (which was sooo incredible and epic and all the gigantic descriptive words!), I love that I saw the Roots and Goose and the Linda Lindas and this set called "Black Opry Revue" which was Black Americana artists, some of which I KNOW I will be hearing about and reading about as more people catch on to them. Dinosaur Jr even played, but it was right against something I wanted to see badly so I missed them this time.

I highly recommend it, and you never know who will play when you buy tix, you only find out after you've bought. But I now know it'll always be worth it!

What years did you go @Glowgirl ?
    I went in 2015 and 2017. I had a great time. Newport is beautiful. I am glad you had fun. 
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    I need to see these gals live. I played them in my classroom all last year and the kids loved them. It was awesome to hear them sing along. It's great to see a band carrying on the tradition of X-Ray Spex, The Bags, The Go-Gos, The Muffs, Bikini Kill etc... Girl power. Girl rage. Fuck the patriarchy. 
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    I need to see these gals live. I played them in my classroom all last year and the kids loved them. It was awesome to hear them sing along. It's great to see a band carrying on the tradition of X-Ray Spex, The Bags, The Go-Gos, The Muffs, Bikini Kill etc... Girl power. Girl rage. Fuck the patriarchy. 
    You said it, and they bring it live! Definitely go see them, I was a little worried it wouldn't turn out to rock as much live but they SLAYED!