Options

The Mystery of the Mike Seeger (half-brother of Pete) Manuscript.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,672
edited May 2021 in Other Music
Some of you may find this little story about MIke Seeger, half-brother of Pete Seeger, interesting: 
Sometime back in the year 2010, I bought a songbook of various folk songs in a thrift store.  When I got home, I looked through the book and found a 24 page typed manuscript laid in it called "A SURVEY OF RURAL MUSIC OF THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES".  On the last page it says:
Mike Seeger
New Freedom Penna  1974.
Also in the book was the printed insert for Folkways Records album number F1 8303 titled "The Banjo Instructor with Pete Seeger" and another Folkways insert for record FTS 31034 titled, "Won't You Come and Sing For Me" by Hazel Dickens and Alice Foster.  Also in it was a page with the handwritten lyrics to the traditional folk song, "To the Sweet Sunny South."

I did a little research and found that Mike Seeger had a half-brother named Pete Seeger (the Pete Seeger).  After a good deal more searching, I managed to find a mailing address for Pete Seeger.  I sent Mr. Seeger a letter telling him about the manuscript. (Pete was still alive- he died in 2014.  Mike Seeger was already gone, having died in 2009.)  In May of that year, I received a letter from Pete but oddly enough, the letter was a photocopy of his letter to me with a handwritten line at the beginning telling me to send the manuscript to another Seeger in Virginia and at the end simply singed, "Pete".
The only problem is, Pete did not include an address for this other Seeger in VA.  I wrote back again but never received a second reply.  So now I still have the Mike Seeger Manuscript and the letter from Pete.
The manuscript is not particularly engaging reading- it's mostly a description of songs for an unnamed record collection of folk songs, most of which appeared to have been previously released on a number of record labels including Folkways, Biograph, Columbia, Victor, and a few others labels.
This thing is a mystery that has had me scratching my head off and on for over a decade.  For now, back into my fire-proof document box it goes for safe keeping.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,748
    That's interesting. It should get to a museum someday.
    I wonder about the future of these special one of a kind things we hold on to. They mean so much to us now. As I age I question the stuff I keep. I guess that's natural. getting rid of it is saying goodbye to those times? 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    Seeger married Toshi Aline Ohta in 1943, whom he credited with being the support that helped make the rest of his life possible. The couple remained married until Toshi's death in July 2013.[113] Their first child, Peter Ōta Seeger, was born in 1944 and died at six months, while Pete was deployed overseas. Pete never saw him.[114] They went on to have three more children: Daniel (an accomplished photographer and filmmaker), Mika (a potter and muralist), and Tinya (a potter), as well as grandchildren Tao Rodríguez-Seeger (a musician), Cassie (an artist), Kitama Cahill-Jackson (a psychotherapist), Moraya (a marriage and family therapist married to the NFL player Chris DeGeare), Penny, and Isabelle, and great-grandchildren Dio and Gabel. Tao, a folk musician in his own right, sings and plays guitar, banjo, and harmonica with the Mammals. Kitama Jackson is a documentary filmmaker who was associate producer of the PBS documentary Pete Seeger: The Power of Song

You could try writing his kids?  They sound like they are living the bohemian lifestyle!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Loujoe said:
    I wonder about the future of these special one of a kind things we hold on to. They mean so much to us now. As I age I question the stuff I keep. I guess that's natural. getting rid of it is saying goodbye to those times? 
    I agree, a museum or archives is a great place for this kind of thing.  Years ago, I came across a very unusual Woody Guthrie album.  I managed to get in touch with Arlo Guthrie and arranged with him to send that album to him and he placed it in the Guthrie archives.  Sooner or later, I hope I can find the right place for the Mike Seeger manuscript.
    Seeger married Toshi Aline Ohta in 1943, whom he credited with being the support that helped make the rest of his life possible. The couple remained married until Toshi's death in July 2013.[113] Their first child, Peter Ōta Seeger, was born in 1944 and died at six months, while Pete was deployed overseas. Pete never saw him.[114] They went on to have three more children: Daniel (an accomplished photographer and filmmaker), Mika (a potter and muralist), and Tinya (a potter), as well as grandchildren Tao Rodríguez-Seeger (a musician), Cassie (an artist), Kitama Cahill-Jackson (a psychotherapist), Moraya (a marriage and family therapist married to the NFL player Chris DeGeare), Penny, and Isabelle, and great-grandchildren Dio and Gabel. Tao, a folk musician in his own right, sings and plays guitar, banjo, and harmonica with the Mammals. Kitama Jackson is a documentary filmmaker who was associate producer of the PBS documentary Pete Seeger: The Power of Song

You could try writing his kids?  They sound like they are living the bohemian lifestyle!
    The letter from Pete was had a stamp on the envelope that says "Toshi and Pete Seeger".  His suggestion was to send it to what I believe is one of Mike Seeger's family members.  Mike was an artist in his own rite, so I believe the manuscript should find it's way to his family or his archives, not Pete's. 

From Wikipedia:
    Mike Seeger (August 15, 1933 – August 7, 2009) was an American folk musician and folklorist. He was a distinctive singer and an accomplished musician who played autoharp, banjo, fiddle, dulcimer, guitar, mouth harp, mandolin, dobro, jaw harp, and pan pipes.[1][2] Seeger, a half-brother of Pete Seeger, produced more than 30 documentary recordings, and performed in more than 40 other recordings. He desired to make known the caretakers of culture that inspired and taught him.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:
    I agree, a museum or archives is a great place for this kind of thing.  Years ago, I came across a very unusual Woody Guthrie album.  I managed to get in touch with Arlo Guthrie and arranged with him to send that album to him and he placed it in the Guthrie archives.  Sooner or later, I hope I can find the right place for the Mike Seeger manuscript.

The letter from Pete was had a stamp on the envelope that says "Toshi and Pete Seeger".  His suggestion was to send it to what I believe is one of Mike Seeger's family members.  Mike was an artist in his own rite, so I believe the manuscript should find it's way to his family or his archives, not Pete's. 

From Wikipedia:
    Mike Seeger (August 15, 1933 – August 7, 2009) was an American folk musician and folklorist. He was a distinctive singer and an accomplished musician who played autoharp, banjo, fiddle, dulcimer, guitar, mouth harp, mandolin, dobro, jaw harp, and pan pipes.[1][2] Seeger, a half-brother of Pete Seeger, produced more than 30 documentary recordings, and performed in more than 40 other recordings. He desired to make known the caretakers of culture that inspired and taught him.

Try and find Mikes kids?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

From Wikipedia:

Try and find Mikes kids?

One of these days I'll get to it!  I really should.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Good man Brian. Sometimes I feel this stuff finds us for a reason.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Good man Brian. Sometimes I feel this stuff finds us for a reason.

Indeed, Lou! 
    If you feel like sharing the stories, what interesting ephemera have you found?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Just this for a buck!it was at a rummage sale. I picked up the cd, wasn't going to buy it because I have the lp. Decided hey I may listen to it in my car. Got home, opened it up, got all crazy. Stuck it in a frame, sigs hidden, but I know they are there!

Nothing quite as historical as yours B, but really cool!

Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Just this for a buck!it was at a rummage sale. I picked up the cd, wasn't going to buy it because I have the lp. Decided hey I may listen to it in my car. Got home, opened it up, got all crazy. Stuck it in a frame, sigs hidden, but I know they are there!

All those band members are dead now, of course that is historical!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I love it! What a rock and roll party in the sky. I sure hope so. I'll get rail for that one. Pete Seeger and the Ramones!!! That would be....bad. Although getting to know PS stuff. New to me. Definately rivals the punk rock attitude. He was mad about real stuff. Not just angry about being bored.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

That is very cool, Lou!  Rock and roll icons! 
    Great album too.  The stories behind them working with crazy Phil Spector are intense!