POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: MOVIE SEQUELS - ROUND 2

MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
edited May 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
Ok, to keep us on the movie path. I decided to pull some great sequels from my memory to discuss what we think is the BEST MOVIE SEQUEL from this list. Now I know that some of you may have other sequels that you think are better than all on the list, but lets just let this go for the time being. Pick the film that you think is the WEAKEST LINK from the ones provided and when we finish we can discuss if anyone has any that could maybe beat our winner here.

Now to Round 2 to determine the BEST MOVIE SEQUEL from the films listed.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) movie with the most votes. We will then move on to ROUND 3.

THE GODFATHER, PART II (1974)
ALIENS (1986)
EVIL DEAD 2: DEAD BY DAWN (1987) - Eliminated Round 1
THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)
STAR WARS: EPISODE V - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980)
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY (1991)
MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR (1982)
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014)
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1989)
BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II (1989) - Eliminated Round 1

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: MOVIE SEQUELS - ROUND 2 32 votes

THE GODFATHER, PART II
3%
Ledbetterman10 1 vote
STAR WARS: EPISODE V - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
3%
darwinstheory 1 vote
MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR
21%
mcgruff10markymark550JimmyVPapMatts3221Glorified KCJPPJ84 7 votes
ALIENS
6%
Johnny Abruzzotempo_n_groove 2 votes
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
15%
PoncierdankindRiotZacteeriepadaveWest Coast Dreamgirl 5 votes
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY
3%
Gern Blansten 1 vote
THE DARK KNIGHT
9%
Yefaerebusbrianlux 3 votes
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER
37%
Spiritual_Chaosmickeyrattbergsmace1229BLACK35eddiecF Me In The BrainHobbes1ThoughtKnownSmallestOceansJojoRicebbiggs 12 votes
Post edited by MedozK on

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    ALIENS
    GFII is the best movie here but I think Empire will take this competition.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited May 2021
    I didn’t notice Indiana Jones was The Last Crusade last time, or I wouldn’t have voted for it. Saw Indiana and just thought Temple. Although I guess that’s technically a prequel.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    ALIENS
    GFII is the best movie here but I think Empire will take this competition.
    Maybe T2.  That was one hell of a movie but my vote is one of the Holy Trilogy, ESB.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    All those getting votes is just delaying the showdown we are all expecting. Looks like T2 and Dark Knight will be the 2nd to last round based on how we've been voting.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    No way Last Crusade is better than The Road Warrior
    MedozK said:
    No way Last Crusade is better than The Road Warrior
    Of course it's not, but very few people get fuzzy memories of nostalgia watching Mel battle the horde while driving a tanker truck, but everyone loves Sean and Harrison yucking it up all over Germany. And RIP River Phoenix. He was great.
    Speaking of the scene in Road Warrior with the tanker truck, it seems to be a theme among several movies that a semi truck gets involved in a chase and does lots of damage; T2 and Dark Knight as well. I don't know if this is the case, but was that scene in Road Warrior one of the first of it's kind and later influence the other 2 movies?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    GFII is worse than these other movies?
    Wow, didn't see that coming.

Is it a protest vote because Child's Play 2 isn't included?  Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    THE GODFATHER, PART II
    I voted for Godfather 2 here, despite not seeing all of the other movies, and thinking it's better than Last Crusade and The Dark Knight. But I've always been sort of anti-Godfather 2. Here's my rant...

-Well first off it's a 6-hour movie. Oh, it's "only" three and a half hours? Well it feels like 6 hours.

-I really like the prequel segments, but there's not enough of it. I think the prequel segments take up only about 40 minutes, while the present-day segments take up the other five hours and twenty minutes (I mean two hours and forty minutes). I wish the movie was more balanced. Every time I start to get invested in the prequel segments, we have to go back to the present so Michael can have a boring conversation with the senator, or a boring conversation with Connie and her new husband, or a boring conversation with Frank Pentangeli, or a boring conversation with Hyman Roth, or a boring conversation with Fredo. THE WHOLE MOVIE IS JUST BORING CONVERSATIONS!!!

-I said I like the prequel segments but there should've been more. Like, how did Vito become so powerful? Okay, he kills Don Fanucci so that's how he got power. How much power? Well he's so powerful that he could....umm....convince a landlord to let a widow stay in her apartment? That's it? Mind you, the scene of the landlord stopping by and apologizing is one of my favorite scenes in either movie (I don't acknowledge Godfather 3). But that's it? Why not have a scene that shows actual mafia-stuff? They show a young Tessio and young Clemenza (great casting there by the way, as they do look like younger versions of Vigoda and Castellano). But why not show how Vito puts them in charge of certain territories and what they do? No, all we get is him and Clemenza stealing a freaking rug. How exciting. And how was there not a scene of a young Sonny finding a young Tom Hagen in the street? You don't even have to say it. Just show young Sonny coming across a lone kid in the street. People would get it. 

-Did I mention how boring MIchael is and how I don't understand how anyone can give a fuck about his character in this movie? The first movie? Yeah, he's interesting. Here? Just soooooooooo boring.

"That's the way Coppola wanted it." 

WELL IT AIN'T THE WAY I WANTED IT! I CAN EDIT THIS MOVIE DOWN TO TWO AND A HALF HOURS! I CAN HANDLE IT! I'M SMAWT!!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Democracy is jumping the shark right before our very eyes.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course.
    No accounting for taste!

(Makes note to disregard any opinion Lbm10 has on movies for the rest of time....)  :lol:     
    edited May 2021
    I voted for Godfather 2 here, despite not seeing all of the other movies, and thinking it's better than Last Crusade and The Dark Knight. But I've always been sort of anti-Godfather 2. Here's my rant...

-Well first off it's a 6-hour movie. Oh, it's "only" three and a half hours? Well it feels like 6 hours.

-I really like the prequel segments, but there's not enough of it. I think the prequel segments take up only about 40 minutes, while the present-day segments take up the other five hours and twenty minutes (I mean two hours and forty minutes). I wish the movie was more balanced. Every time I start to get invested in the prequel segments, we have to go back to the present so Michael can have a boring conversation with the senator, or a boring conversation with Connie and her new husband, or a boring conversation with Frank Pentangeli, or a boring conversation with Hyman Roth, or a boring conversation with Fredo. THE WHOLE MOVIE IS JUST BORING CONVERSATIONS!!!

-I said I like the prequel segments but there should've been more. Like, how did Vito become so powerful? Okay, he kills Don Fanucci so that's how he got power. How much power? Well he's so powerful that he could....umm....convince a landlord to let a widow stay in her apartment? That's it? Mind you, the scene of the landlord stopping by and apologizing is one of my favorite scenes in either movie (I don't acknowledge Godfather 3). But that's it? Why not have a scene that shows actual mafia-stuff? They show a young Tessio and young Clemenza (great casting there by the way, as they do look like younger versions of Vigoda and Castellano). But why not show how Vito puts them in charge of certain territories and what they do? No, all we get is him and Clemenza stealing a freaking rug. How exciting. And how was there not a scene of a young Sonny finding a young Tom Hagen in the street? You don't even have to say it. Just show young Sonny coming across a lone kid in the street. People would get it. 

-Did I mention how boring MIchael is and how I don't understand how anyone can give a fuck about his character in this movie? The first movie? Yeah, he's interesting. Here? Just soooooooooo boring.

WELL IT AIN'T THE WAY I WANTED IT! I CAN EDIT THIS MOVIE DOWN TO TWO AND A HALF HOURS! I CAN HANDLE IT! I'M SMAWT!!!
    I know you said you don't acknowledge GFIII, but the trend with Michael getting more boring really hit it's peak in that one. I still think it's a great movie though (GFII, not GFIII, that one's dogshit). I haven't seen it in about 2 decades though so maybe I should revisit that when I have an extended weekend and can devote 6 hours to watching it :wink:
    THE GODFATHER, PART II
    No accounting for taste!

(Makes note to disregard any opinion Lbm10 has on movies for the rest of time....)  :lol:     

I stand by what I wrote with more passion and conviction than anything I've ever written on this message board.

Well except that The Fixer is the cheesiest rock song ever written. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    No accounting for taste!

I stand by what I wrote with more passion and conviction than anything I've ever written on this message board.

I can appreciate the commitment.  ;)

GFII is quite possibly my favorite movie of all time.  (The Godfather Epic most assuredly holds that title, if one can consider the 7 hour chronological splice up a single move.)   I love "boring conversations" in movies.  :lol:          (I love books!)
    THE GODFATHER, PART II
    No accounting for taste!

I can appreciate the commitment.  ;)

GFII is quite possibly my favorite movie of all time.  (The Godfather Epic most assuredly holds that title, if one can consider the 7 hour chronological splice up a single move.)   I love "boring conversations" in movies.  :lol:          (I love books!)
    Yeah I like the Epic too because I get my prequel segment, then the first movie, and then I can shut it off, lol. 

Obviously you can tell that I love The Godfather. Even though I'm speaking ill of GF2, I wouldn't know all the characters (I'm a big Willie Cicci guy) and the plot if I haven't seen it so many times. But I've always nit-picked at it. My father, who is huge fan (isn't everybody's father?), loves the book and always told me I'd love the book too, due to my overall liking of The Godfather, but my complaining about all of Michael's boring conversations in GF2. I actually have a beat-up copy that I got a thrift store, but haven't gotten around to reading it. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Damn why the hate for the Winter Soldier?!  Soooo good.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,609
    Mel Gibson can go to hell.  That's why this movie gets my vote.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just too many marvel movies to keep up. I got over them. Actually did see this one, but couldn't care about it not seeing half the others.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    mcgruff10 said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    You're on the wrong side of history.
    Mel Gibson can go to hell.  That's why this movie gets my vote.
    Yeah, present day Mel sucks. Anything post 2000 I'd gladly vote down, but this is his one movie where he wasn't that person yet and the movie is awesome. I love me some post-apocalyptic action.
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    JimmyV said:
    Democracy is jumping the shark right before our very eyes.

Just happy to see someone whom also wants Mad Max 2 to go so badly.
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was wondering the same thing.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    Matts3221 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was wondering the same thing.

Me as well.
    Certainly know it won't make the finals, but should have survived this round.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    No hate here, but it's too new and doesn't get the nostalgia the rest of them do. Every other movie left I have probably watched at least 5 times except GFII. I really enjoy Captain and would watch it again before a few on here because it's a fun action movie, but it isn't better than them IMHO.
    THE GODFATHER, PART II
    tbergs said:

I know you said you don't acknowledge GFIII, but the trend with Michael getting more boring really hit it's peak in that one. I still think it's a great movie though (GFII, not GFIII, that one's dogshit). I haven't seen it in about 2 decades though so maybe I should revisit that when I have an extended weekend and can devote 6 hours to watching it :wink:
    It’s worth a rewatch if you haven’t seen it in a while. I nitpick the hell out of it, but it’s only because I’ve seen it several times and do love The Godfather in general. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    tbergs said:
    Speaking of the scene in Road Warrior with the tanker truck, it seems to be a theme among several movies that a semi truck gets involved in a chase and does lots of damage; T2 and Dark Knight as well. I don't know if this is the case, but was that scene in Road Warrior one of the first of it's kind and later influence the other 2 movies?
    Duel

#Spielberg

@dankind

:smiley:
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    I don’t mind Duel. I wouldn’t say that I enjoy it, but I don’t mind it. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    Godfather part III isnt dogshit
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    edited May 2021
    mcgruff10 said:

Oh please. What an obnoxious gif. 

Please point to where anyone ever said that CA:TWS is purely a political thriller. No. It has political thriller themes weaved into the Marvel style. 
    Post edited by RiotZact on
This discussion has been closed.