Empowerment

West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,872
edited May 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm interested in hearing about ways you have successfully fought to overcome injustice and adversity.
Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    I’m hoping this is a short thread and not too many people had to face it.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    A good hope to have, tempo. Would be nice if it lives up to reality!

Mine is too personal to share the particulars. 

I’ll just quote Trent: “I tried, I gave up.”
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,872
    edited May 2021
    Never give up! 

"Don't allow for hopelessness, focus on your focusness ... They giveth and they taketh and you fight to keep that what you've earned"
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited May 2021
    I was thinking...how does one attain empowerment?

I typically think of it in terms of overcoming something difficult. An ultimate positive, making things right within.

Some feel it’s about one-upmanship (“Hah, I owned them!”), more of a juvenile negative implication. And is that really growth? Other than egotistically.

Dunno, just a late-afternoon buzz talking. The mind wanders and wonders. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,618
    Injustice?  I can't say I've had any major issues that way.  One bogus speeding ticket is all I can think of.  In court the I told the judge I had asked the cop how he had read my speed and that the cop had told me "it was a visual".  The judge looked at the cop and the cop replied, "I have never said those words."  OK, so he's a liar.  The judge had to take the word of the cop but at least he cut the fine in half.  Such is life.

Adversity?  If defined as "difficulties; misfortune", I've had some including being injured a number of times (broken bones, a concussion), been assaulted twice,  been robbed, have had various illnesses, lived in my vehicle for most of two or three years.  How to overcome those things?  First, I learn to work as hard as I possibly could.  Feel the burn and as much as possible, become tempered like steel.  Second, in reading several of Henry Rollins books, I learned you have two choices:  hack, or pack.  I almost packed, but now I hack.  It's by far the better way to go.  Third: keep moving, movement is life. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Hedo  -that bit:

Typically think of it in terms of overcoming something difficult. An ultimate positive, making things right within.

Blimey Brian, that sounds tough. Hack or pack?

Hack!

Thanks guys xxx
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,618
    Hedo  -that bit:

Typically think of it in terms of overcoming something difficult. An ultimate positive, making things right within.

Blimey Brian, that sounds tough. Hack or pack?

Hack!

Thanks guys xxx

"Blimey"  I love that word!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.