Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: BEST SELLING RECORDS OF THE 1980s Round 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited April 2021 in Other Music
We will continue play to determine the Best Album from the BEST SELLING RECORDS OF THE 1980s by year.

For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the album that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the three (3) albums with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 3. - Remember you are voting to eliminate albums from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

FULL LIST
1980 - Pink Floyd, The Wall
1981 - REO Speedwagon, Hi Infidelity
1982 - Asia, Asia - (ELIMINATED ROUND 1)
1983/1984 - Michael Jackson, Thriller
1985 - Bruce Springsteen, Born in the U.S.A.
1986 - Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston
1987 - Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet
1988 - George Michael, Faith
1989 - Bobby Brown, Don't Be Cruel - (ELIMINATED ROUND 1)

Poll--The Weakest Link: BEST SELLING RECORDS OF THE 1980s Round 2 28 votes

Pink Floyd, The Wall
0%
REO Speedwagon, Hi Infidelity
42%
PonciercutzBIGDaddyWiltbergsTim SimmonserebusRP112579RS151862dankindeeriepadavemrussel1tempo_n_groove 12 votes
Michael Jackson, Thriller
3%
F Me In The Brain 1 vote
Bruce Springsteen, Born in the U.S.A.
3%
ed243421 1 vote
Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston
28%
mcgruff10pledgeagrievancejoberschlakeGlowGirlAbe FromanHobbesSmallestOceansbbiggs 8 votes
Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet
7%
mickeyratbrianlux 2 votes
George Michael, Faith
14%
josevolutionhrd2imgnBLACK35rgambs 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    F me will be the lone hold out on Michael.

"Take your pick.  Tyson, Jackson, Jordan, Game 6"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    I missed round one, but there are two albums missing that surprise me:

1. Joshua Tree
    2. Full Moon Fever

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    F me will be the lone hold out on Michael.

"Take your pick.  Tyson, Jackson, Jordan, Game 6"

Ha.  I'm always up to duke it out over Michael Jackson and have had some interesting interactions with people irl over this.
    Makes no difference to me if I am the only one on that side. 

Floyd all the way, for this one.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    BITUSA was an absolute monster of a record.  I think it had 7 singles, all great songs.  All songs we know by heart.  Bruce was big going into that album, but it launched him into the stratosphere of super stardom.  And it secured his legacy.  While I love the Wall, like everyone here, IMO it's their 3rd best record.  I could even argue 4th.  And it was the swan song of the band.  The Wall has a great legacy, but ultimately it's political and stoner legacy.  BITUSA had a profound cultural impact on the general population that is still there today. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    mrussel1 said:
    BITUSA was an absolute monster of a record.  I think it had 7 singles, all great songs.  All songs we know by heart.  Bruce was big going into that album, but it launched him into the stratosphere of super stardom.  And it secured his legacy.  While I love the Wall, like everyone here, IMO it's their 3rd best record.  I could even argue 4th.  And it was the swan song of the band.  The Wall has a great legacy, but ultimately it's political and stoner legacy.  BITUSA had a profound cultural impact on the general population that is still there today. 
    I agree on The Boss. That album was massive and whether it's ever actually referenced properly, BITUSA gets massive play, especially around summer holidays.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    Since there is only one alum I think deserves much recognition and I'm not a fan of the rest, I voted this time based on dumbest album title.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Since there is only one alum I think deserves much recognition and I'm not a fan of the rest, I voted this time based on dumbest album title.
    One of my fav songs by them is called "In and out of love" from the previous album, lol.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Agreed, it sucks. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    brianlux said:

Supposedly came up with that name while visiting a strip club and being impressed by a dancer.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Supposedly came up with that name while visiting a strip club and being impressed by a dancer.

It probably also spawned the most profound song of the hair band era... the one that is in the National Archives... Unskinny Bop. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

It probably also spawned the most profound song of the hair band era... the one that is in the National Archives... Unskinny Bop. 
    Such a dumb song.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Looking as a sure thing to go out this round, but Hi Infidelity was HUGE in 1981. It was the #1 on the Billboard 200 for 15 weeks. "Keep on Loving You" was on the radio all the time and probably one of the first songs I remember knowing "oh, that's REO Speedwagon". I remember by older cousin having the tape. I was only 7, so music wasn't really my thing yet.... but that album cover was hot..lol
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    Looking as a sure thing to go out this round, but Hi Infidelity was HUGE in 1981. It was the #1 on the Billboard 200 for 15 weeks. "Keep on Loving You" was on the radio all the time and probably one of the first songs I remember knowing "oh, that's REO Speedwagon". I remember by older cousin having the tape. I was only 7, so music wasn't really my thing yet.... but that album cover was hot..lol
    Take it on the Run is one that I probably still know most of the words to, as well.  Always on the radio.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    Was not a fan of that type of Power Ballad.  Air Supply is another band that is not for me...
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston
    Whitney Houston didn’t write a single song on that album, peace 
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    MedozK said:
    Yes, but the long term impact isn't there, I don't think. 

Oh I see what RS did.  They took the top album of each year, not the top albums of the 80s.  I was wondering how Asia got in there.  

Year[I]Performing artist(s)NationalityAlbumRef.
    1980Pink Floyd United KingdomThe Wall[25]
    1981REO Speedwagon United StatesHi Infidelity[26]
    1982Asia United KingdomAsia[27]
    1983Michael Jackson United StatesThriller[28]
    1984[29]
    1985Bruce Springsteen United StatesBorn in the U.S.A.[30]
    1986Whitney Houston United StatesWhitney Houston[31]
    1987Bon Jovi United StatesSlippery When Wet[32]
    1988George Michael United KingdomFaith[33]
    1989Bobby Brown United StatesDon't Be Cruel[34]
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:

Oh I see what RS did.  They took the top album of each year, not the top albums of the 80s.  I was wondering how Asia got in there.  

1984[29]
    Yep, that is the list I pulled from.

And I agree with the long term impact of REO....lol I don't remember the last time I played REO... as a matter of fact. I don't own any REO Speedwagon.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Such a dumb song.
    God I loved that song as a kid. Just as good as "Unbelievable" by EMF. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:

1984[29]
    Yep, that is the list I pulled from.

And I agree with the long term impact of REO....lol I don't remember the last time I played REO... as a matter of fact. I don't own any REO Speedwagon.
    I actually have 2 copies of Hi-Infidelity on vinyl. No idea where I got them from. Somebody's discard pile lol
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Such a dumb song.
    A few songs that made me cringe going up and a few that tickled my fancy.

Cringe Worthy- Cherry Pie, Unskinny Bob, Way cool Jr, Hey Stoopid, Up All Night/Sleep all day, More than Words, Reach for the sky, Final countdown to name a few.
    Tickle my fancy- 32 Pennies, Look What The cat dragged in, You're in Love, Hey Mickey, Hysteria, Paradise.

EMF, that's funny.  I forgot about them.
  • Options
    No more smack talk on Slaughter!
    :lol:

• Options
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Such a dumb song.

Cringe Worthy- Cherry Pie, Unskinny Bob, Way cool Jr, Hey Stoopid, Up All Night/Sleep all day, More than Words, Reach for the sky, Final countdown to name a few.
    Tickle my fancy- 32 Pennies, Look What The cat dragged in, You're in Love, Hey Mickey, Hysteria, Paradise.

On which list do you have "Pour Some Sugar on Me"?
  • Options
    I think Def Leppard was my gateway band from country to rock as a yute. Hearing Pour Some... on the radio did it for me. Then I made Adrenalize my first official cassette purchase in 6th grade. Remedy by Black Crowes was another transitioning song for me.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Such a dumb song.
    , Unskinny Bob,

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Such a dumb song.
    , Unskinny Bob,

sorry bob...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    George Michael, Faith
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Such a dumb song.

The "wish I could go through the rest of my life without ever hearing that song again" list...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    MedozK said:

A sure fire way to kill a record for me is to hear it on the radio all the time.  I guess I'm lucky that my tastes generally don't run along the radio-friendly line!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Such a dumb song.

tbergs said:
    I think Def Leppard was my gateway band from country to rock as a yute. Hearing Pour Some... on the radio did it for me. Then I made Adrenalize my first official cassette purchase in 6th grade. Remedy by Black Crowes was another transitioning song for me.
    I bought the album when it first came out and knew the whole thing from front to back.  Fav song was Pour some sugar.  I had been listening to that album for a year or so when Pour became a single.  All of a sudden EVERYONE was singing it.  By that time I was over it and that is why it didn't make the list because the love for it died a looooong time ago, lol.
  • Options
    It was a total disappointment after how good Pyromania was.  Too watered down and every song trying to be a single.  I did love playing Pour and am ok with the song now but that whole record grew tired pretty quickly, to me.  High and Dry was pretty good as well. F Hysteria.
  • Options
    It was a total disappointment after how good Pyromania was.  Too watered down and every song trying to be a single.  I did love playing Pour and am ok with the song now but that whole record grew tired pretty quickly, to me.  High and Dry was pretty good as well. F Hysteria.
    Rocket I loved, album version.  It was 7 minutes long and very unconventional towards the rest of the album.  I dig animal still too.  The album was meant to be a pop success, that is what the band wanted.  OG producer wanted that raw sound of Pyro and quit because of the direction Leppard wanted to take it too.