POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist- ROUND 3

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Since we definitely didn't agree with Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 albums or songs of all time, I figured for fun we could move to one last questionable Rolling Stone List. This time we will look at their list of the GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL-TIME.

Alright, so here we will play the game to determine the BEST song in the Rolling Stone Top 10.

You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 4.

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist of ALL-TIME
1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Eric Clapton - ELIMINATED ROUND 2
3) Jimmy Page
4) Keith Richards - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
5) Jeff Beck
6) B.B. King - ELIMINATED ROUND 2
7) Chuck Berry - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
8) Eddie Van Halen
9) Duane Allman - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
10) Pete Townshend - ELIMINATED ROUND 1

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist- ROUND 3 26 votes

Jimi Hendrix
0%
Jimmy Page
3%
Poncier 1 vote
Jeff Beck
76%
mcgruff10josevolutiongoldrushcutztbergspledgeagrievancejoberschlakeerebusGlowGirldankindAbe FromanBLACK35eeriepadavenicknyr15Hobbesmrussel1rgambsSmallestOceanshihobiboJumb0 20 votes
Eddie Van Halen
19%
hrd2imgnmickeyratPapbrianluxF Me In The Brain 5 votes

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jeff Beck
    For me, it comes down to the Jim-Es, and always has.
    The reason is simple...Jimmy wrote the riffs for Rock n Roll, Black Dog, etc AND Bron Y Air, The Rain Song, That's The Way, etc...
    Jimi wrote the riffs for Voodoo Chile, Foxy Lady, etc AND Little Wing, The Wind Cries Mary, etc...
    That ability to make 6 strings pull the heart strings in so many different directions is what sets them apart. 
    I haven't heard anything to match that extremely evocative touch from EVH, so if anybody knows of something, drop it in here so I can check it out.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    Jimmy Page
    rgambs said:

I haven't heard anything to match that extremely evocative touch from EVH, so if anybody knows of something, drop it in here so I can check it out.  
    https://youtu.be/EyfOq6R6HcE
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2021
    Jeff Beck
    My finals from this list would be Jimi and EVH. And while I think that Beck is technically a greater player than Plage, there’s no denying Plage’s larger influence.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,264
    Jeff Beck
    The only winner here should be Jimi, and the only reason you need should be this story:

Jimi Hendrix arrived on the London scene like a ton of bricks in 1966, smashing every British blues guitarist to pieces the instant they saw him play. As vocalist Terry Reid tells it, when Hendrix played his first showcase at the Bag O’Nails, arranged by Animals’ bassist Chas Chandler, “there were guitar players weeping. They had to mop the floor up. He was piling it on, solo after solo. I could see everyone’s fillings falling out. When he finished, it was silence. Nobody knew what to do. Everybody was dumbstruck, completely in shock.”

He only exaggerates a little, by all accounts, and when Reid says “everybody,” he means everybody: Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Jeff Beck, Paul McCartney, The Who, Eric Burdon, John Mayall, and maybe Jimmy Page, though he denies it. Mayall recalls, “the buzz was out before Jimi had even been seen here, so people were anticipating his performance, and he more than lived up to what we were expecting.” In fact, even before this legendary event sent nearly every star classic rock guitarist back to the woodshed, Jimi had arrived unannounced at the Regent Street Polytechnic, and asked to sit in and jam with Cream, where he proceeded to dethrone the reigning British guitar god, Eric Clapton.

Nobody knew who he was, but “in those days anybody could get up with anybody,” Clapton says, “if you were convincing enough that you could play. He got up and blew everyone’s mind.” As Hendrix biographer Charles Cross tells it, “no one had ever asked to jam” with Cream before. “Most would have been too intimidated by their reputation as the best band in Britain.” To hear the story as it’s told in the clip above from the BBC documentary Seven Ages of Rock, no one else would have ever dared to get onstage with Eric Clapton. Clapton, as the famed graffiti in London announced, was God. “It was a very brave person who would do that,” says Jack Bruce.

Actually, it was Chandler who asked the band, and who also tried to prepare Clapton. Jimi got onstage, plugged into Bruce’s bass amp, and played a version of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Killin’ Floor.” Everyone was “completely gobsmacked,” Clapton writes in his autobiography. “I remember thinking that here was a force to be reckoned with. It scared me, because he was clearly going to be a huge star, and just as we are finding our own speed, here was the real thing.” Fear, envy, awe… all reasonable emotions when standing next to Jimi Hendrix as he tears through “Killin’ Floor” three times faster than anyone else played it —while doing the splits, lying on the floor, playing with his teeth and behind his head…

“It was amazing,” writes Clapton, “and it was musically great, too, not just pyrotechnics.” There’s no telling how Jimi might have remembered the event had he lived to write his memoirs, but he would have been pretty modest, as was his way. No one else who saw him felt any need to hold back. “It must have been difficult for Eric to handle,” says Bruce, “because [Eric] was ‘God,’” and this unknown person comes along, and burns.” He puts it slightly differently at the top: “Eric was a guitar player. Jimi was some sort of force of nature.

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    Jeff Beck
    I'm actually surprised Beck made it this far.  I know he's a great guitarist, but am I the only one that doesn't love his catalog?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Eddie Van Halen
    goldrush said:
    The only winner here should be Jimi, and the only reason you need should be this story:

Jimi Hendrix arrived on the London scene like a ton of bricks in 1966, smashing every British blues guitarist to pieces the instant they saw him play. As vocalist Terry Reid tells it, when Hendrix played his first showcase at the Bag O’Nails, arranged by Animals’ bassist Chas Chandler, “there were guitar players weeping. They had to mop the floor up. He was piling it on, solo after solo. I could see everyone’s fillings falling out. When he finished, it was silence. Nobody knew what to do. Everybody was dumbstruck, completely in shock.”

He only exaggerates a little, by all accounts, and when Reid says “everybody,” he means everybody: Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Jeff Beck, Paul McCartney, The Who, Eric Burdon, John Mayall, and maybe Jimmy Page, though he denies it. Mayall recalls, “the buzz was out before Jimi had even been seen here, so people were anticipating his performance, and he more than lived up to what we were expecting.” In fact, even before this legendary event sent nearly every star classic rock guitarist back to the woodshed, Jimi had arrived unannounced at the Regent Street Polytechnic, and asked to sit in and jam with Cream, where he proceeded to dethrone the reigning British guitar god, Eric Clapton.

Nobody knew who he was, but “in those days anybody could get up with anybody,” Clapton says, “if you were convincing enough that you could play. He got up and blew everyone’s mind.” As Hendrix biographer Charles Cross tells it, “no one had ever asked to jam” with Cream before. “Most would have been too intimidated by their reputation as the best band in Britain.” To hear the story as it’s told in the clip above from the BBC documentary Seven Ages of Rock, no one else would have ever dared to get onstage with Eric Clapton. Clapton, as the famed graffiti in London announced, was God. “It was a very brave person who would do that,” says Jack Bruce.

Actually, it was Chandler who asked the band, and who also tried to prepare Clapton. Jimi got onstage, plugged into Bruce’s bass amp, and played a version of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Killin’ Floor.” Everyone was “completely gobsmacked,” Clapton writes in his autobiography. “I remember thinking that here was a force to be reckoned with. It scared me, because he was clearly going to be a huge star, and just as we are finding our own speed, here was the real thing.” Fear, envy, awe… all reasonable emotions when standing next to Jimi Hendrix as he tears through “Killin’ Floor” three times faster than anyone else played it —while doing the splits, lying on the floor, playing with his teeth and behind his head…

“It was amazing,” writes Clapton, “and it was musically great, too, not just pyrotechnics.” There’s no telling how Jimi might have remembered the event had he lived to write his memoirs, but he would have been pretty modest, as was his way. No one else who saw him felt any need to hold back. “It must have been difficult for Eric to handle,” says Bruce, “because [Eric] was ‘God,’” and this unknown person comes along, and burns.” He puts it slightly differently at the top: “Eric was a guitar player. Jimi was some sort of force of nature.

Good stuff!  There's another story that's show up in a few of the Hendrix related books I've read about Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend going to see Jimi play and they held each other's hands and were in tears as they watched their fame as guitar players being obliterated before their eyes.

Jimi it is!

But again, this is for rock guitar.  How can you compare Jimi Hendrix to Andres Segovia?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    Jeff Beck
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm actually surprised Beck made it this far.  I know he's a great guitarist, but am I the only one that doesn't love his catalog?
    I can’t stand it. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,203
    Jeff Beck
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, I agree. I respect the talent, just not a fan of his music.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    Jeff Beck
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, I agree. I respect the talent, just not a fan of his music.
    Same with me with Jeff Beck and EVH.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,036
    Jeff Beck
    Easy choice here
    edited April 2021
    Jeff Beck
    They had to change the way music was written for guitar because of EVH, fer chrissakes! The guy was a fucking innovative wizard along the lines of Jimi and Les Paul.

Plage just added his take to what everybody else was doing/had done and called it his own. You want to know how great Plage is without Plant, JPJ and Bonzo? OK, I've got a Death Wish 2 soundtrack to sell you. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Jeff Beck
    dankind said:
    They had to change the way music was written for guitar because of EVH, fer chrissakes! The guy was a fucking innovative wizard along the lines of Jimi and Les Paul.

Plage just added his take to what everybody else was doing/had done and called it his own. You want to know how great Plage is without Plant, JPJ and Bonzo? OK, I've got a Death Wish 2 soundtrack to sell you. :lol:
    Page was the second singer in LZ.  His guitar was the perfect compliment to Robert's voice.  All four members were critical, but those riffs are timeless.  
    Jeff Beck
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Page was the second singer in LZ.  His guitar was the perfect compliment to Robert's voice.  All four members were critical, but those riffs are timeless.  
    And the two other surviving members still actively make new music.

Plage sits around his manse waiting for someone to call him so that he can play/reinterpret already recorded material -- that is, when he's not being a huge ninny of a neighbor or vociferously defending his "legacy" against the likes of Spirit.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Jeff Beck
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Plage sits around his manse waiting for someone to call him so that he can play/reinterpret already recorded material -- that is, when he's not being a huge ninny of a neighbor or vociferously defending his "legacy" against the likes of Spirit.
    So you don't like his retirement plan? 
    Jeff Beck
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Doesn’t bother me at all. If I thought that we were missing out on something, I might gripe. 

But the Firm, most of his solo output, his soundtrack work, Coverdale-Page, etc. pretty much squashes that thought. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Jeff Beck
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Doesn’t bother me at all. If I thought that we were missing out on something, I might gripe. 

But the Firm, most of his solo output, his soundtrack work, Coverdale-Page, etc. pretty much squashes that thought. :lol:
    Agreed, none of that was very good.  But the Yardbirds were pretty good and Zep had some level of lasting influence.  Definitely can't argue with the legacy.  
    Jimmy Page
    dankind said:

You should have voted for Page if you wanted to get Eddie to the finals.
    Beck was clearly going to get ousted, but a few votes for Page might have secured EVH a deserved spot in the finals.
    Got to think strategy sometimes Dan.

I agree with you on the 2 finalists, should be Hendrix and Van Halen, but looks like it will be Hendrix and Page.
    edited April 2021
    Jeff Beck
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Agreed, none of that was very good.  But the Yardbirds were pretty good and Zep had some level of lasting influence.  Definitely can't argue with the legacy.  
    Yup. Only reason I voted out Beck was lasting influence.

Beck mined the same fields as Plage, and while I think that Beck's interpretations display that he was certainly more of a skilled virtuoso than Plage, there's no denying the Plage legacy (although Spirit can try as many times as they like).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Eddie Van Halen
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Another reason I would add bonus points for Page is because of his pre-Zep background, especially as a session artist.  It was these years (five full years, if I recall correctly) of playing in a variety of settings that made him a seasoned guitarist before starting up with Led Zeppelin.  As great as his playing was with Zep, that band's fame overshadows a yet fuller, expansive, and impressive career.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Jeff Beck
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Another reason I would add bonus points for Page is because of his pre-Zep background, especially as a session artist.  It was these years (five full years, if I recall correctly) of playing in a variety of settings that made him a seasoned guitarist before starting up with Led Zeppelin.  As great as his playing was with Zep, that band's fame overshadows a yet fuller, expansive, and impressive career.
    That was all but over before his 40th birthday. 

I do not disagree that he had a stellar 15-year run (session, Yardbirds, LZ) as a youngster, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Jeff Beck
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

I do not disagree that he had a stellar 15-year run (session, Yardbirds, LZ) as a youngster, though.
    And Hendrix was done at 27...
    Jeff Beck
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

And Hendrix was done at 27...
    Now there's a retirement plan that I'll lament until I retire.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jeff Beck
    I don't love Beck's catalogue either, but he had mad skills and he was one of the very earliest 'Guitar Gods'.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited April 2021
    Eddie Van Halen
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

In baseball, that's known as being ooooooooooold!  :lol:

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,641
    Eddie Van Halen
    guitar and amp.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,274
    Jeff Beck
    Page is the best guitarist I’ve seen live Beck has to go 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Jeff Beck and EVH have been eliminated in Round 3
    Jimmy Page
    MedozK said:
    EVH  eliminated in Round 3

This discussion has been closed.