Options

Sports Broadcasters You Love/Hate

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
edited April 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
This idea came to me while watching some YouTube of the Chiefs and Broncos playing in 1997.  It immediately reminded me who I couldn't stand.  However, there are many who I think are great.  Who do you love calling a game and/or cannot stand calling a game?

My Current Favorite National Play-by-Play: Kevin Harlan
Person Who I Couldn't Stand: Paul McGuire
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Dan Dickdorf was the absolute worst.
    Marv Albert, horrible.

Bob Miller, hockey, was the best.  As a Kings fan I watched / heard him so much over the years.

Lot of people I like for baseball - xm radio playing all of the baseball games was fun for that.  I couldn't stand the Cardinals guy, Mike Shannon.

Football, I like Romo and Hello Friends Nantz
    Sometimes the best announcer is putting the music on and the tv sound down.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Dan Dickdorf was the absolute worst.
    Marv Albert, horrible.

Bob Miller, hockey, was the best.  As a Kings fan I watched / heard him so much over the years.

Lot of people I like for baseball - xm radio playing all of the baseball games was fun for that.  I couldn't stand the Cardinals guy, Mike Shannon.

Football, I like Romo and Hello Friends Nantz
    Sometimes the best announcer is putting the music on and the tv sound down.

I put Dierdorf and McGuire in that same category.  Both very condescending "know-it-alls" when describing the game.

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    Vin Scully followed by Harry Kalas are the GOAT in my opinion. Both called games in an unbiased way and knew how to incorporate silence without it feeling uncomfortable. I find Nantz, Torico and Michaels to be easy on the ears as well. Ken Harrelson always annoyed me because he had a tendency to pout when the opposing team had success. I think baseball is the toughest to call because there is so much down time, for other sports I don’t place as much importance on the announcer as there is pretty much non stop action to distract the viewer. I will say that I am totally cool with not hearing Madden babble on every week.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    i always hated jerry glanville, and tim mccarver. then mccarver ended up on my local cardinal baseball broadcasts so i could not watch or listen to the cardinals for a while.

i grew up on jack buck, so in my 5 year old memory nobody will ever compare to him.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    Love Gus Johnson. I miss him calling NCAA Tournament games. Growing up an Atlanta Braves fan, I always enjoyed listening to Skip Caray call games. This is more local for me, but I really like Dave Friedman, who does the play-by-play for Winthrop University.

I dislike most of the ones that get too sanctimonious calling games. Joe Buck really comes to mind for that. While I liked Skip, I don't much care for Chip Caray that much.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430
    I grew up listening to Harry Kalas & Richie Ashburn - talk about spoiled!

Unpopular opinion but I'm a Joe Buck fan. I'll try to just keep it positive.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited April 2021
    You know who I couldn't stand? And I know everyone else seems to love him, but I thought Pat Summerall was terrible. Just monotone and boring and he sucked the life out of some of those 90's Cowboys and Niners games. So many people look back fondly on him and Madden, but I just look back fondly on Madden, and much preferred when Pat retired and Madden was with Michaels.

People give Joe Buck a hard time? Listen to Summerall on a game-winning Super Bowl FG as time expires....

https://youtu.be/TbhFKq5Gl_s

Or these calls on the Packers' long TDs in SB31..

https://youtu.be/Z7-Rk4VmwF0

Apparently he used to be a part of the Masters broadcast. Makes sense, perfect voice and enthusiasm for golf. Football...not so much. 

Another Summerallism that I found annoying was when they made a top 100 players list in the mid-2000's, he was one of the voters on the panel. which is fine, he's been around forever. But the voters were to rate each player on a scale of 1-10, and Summerall explained that he didn't give any player a 10, because nobody deserves a 10. Yeah, so Pat Summerall, a field goal kicker that made 47% of his kicks, won't give Jim Brown or Jerry Rice a 10 out of 10. Come on...
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited April 2021
    Ill post some of my controversial ones

I always hated John Madden.  His whole 'tough guy' shtick and describing players snot in the dirt and growling and eating turkey legs and all that was annoying.  He was also firmly team-NFC, and would always seem to favor NFC teams and I was an AFC fan.  I found him and Summerall to be a dull combo.

I never liked Doc Emrick in hockey.  His voice grates on me and he has annoying phrases used 1000 times a game "Drive!" 

I like Joe Buck.  It seems it is cool to hate him.

OK,
    Vin Skully.  Amazing.  
    Bob Cole - best hockey announcer
    Brad Musburger was amazing
    Kirk Herbstreit is an amazing color guy

HATED Tim McCarver.
    I also hate Pierre McGuire for NHL
    Pretty much the entire NBC Hockey team sucks from the booth to the studio.  

I was watching a Tigers broadcast the other day.  Holy fuck are those the most boring announcers I have ever heard.  They sound like they dont want to be there.  
    Been watching the Mariners and their local guys are very good.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    edited April 2021
    I grew up listening to Harry Kalas & Richie Ashburn - talk about spoiled!

Unpopular opinion but I'm a Joe Buck fan. I'll try to just keep it positive.
    First two that popped into my head. Also Merrill Reese for the Eagles and Gene Hart for the Flyers. Still have this bobblehead from a game that I went to about 10 years or so ago
    Lot Detail - 2002 Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn Bobble Head

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Ill post some of my controversial ones

I always hated John Madden.  His whole 'tough guy' shtick and describing players snot in the dirt and growling and eating turkey legs and all that was annoying.  He was also firmly team-NFC, and would always seem to favor NFC teams and I was an AFC fan.  I found him and Summerall to be a dull combo.

I never liked Doc Emrick in hockey.  His voice grates on me and he has annoying phrases used 1000 times a game "Drive!" 

I like Joe Buck.  It seems it is cool to hate him.

OK,
    Vin Skully.  Amazing.  

HATED Tim McCarver.
    I also hate Pierre McGuire for NHL
    Pretty much the entire NBC Hockey team sucks from the booth to the studio.  

I was watching a Tigers broadcast the other day.  Holy fuck are those the most boring announcers I have ever heard.  They sound like they dont want to be there.  
    Been watching the Mariners and their local guys are very good.

I liked Madden but otherwise I agree with a lot of what you say here. Maybe the NFC bias agreed with me - of course the NFC teams just dominated back then. A whole buncha blowout Super Bowls.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    MayDay10 said:

OK,
    Vin Skully.  Amazing.  

Who's Brad Musburger? or were you thinking of Brent Musburger?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    A couple of guys who I really enjoyed on ESPN, especially in the 90's were Gary Thorne calling NHL and Mike Patrick calling NFL or NCAA basketball.  Gary Thorne was gold calling a hockey game.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    i always hated jerry glanville, and tim mccarver. then mccarver ended up on my local cardinal baseball broadcasts so i could not watch or listen to the cardinals for a while.

i grew up on jack buck, so in my 5 year old memory nobody will ever compare to him.
    Buck is forever ingrained in my mind from his excellent calling of my Twins '91 WS victory. I've erased McCarver from my memory for that one.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    This idea came to me while watching some YouTube of the Chiefs and Broncos playing in 1997.  It immediately reminded me who I couldn't stand.  However, there are many who I think are great.  Who do you love calling a game and/or cannot stand calling a game?

Harlan has always been great. It was hard to hear him move on from being the T-wolves original announcer. The voice of my youth for all things MN b-ball.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Bob Ueker is still doing Brewers games at the age of 87.  Seems like his duties are scaled back.  If you have SiruisXM, remember to tune into a Brewers game.  Great baseball voice.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Harlan has always been great. It was hard to hear him move on from being the T-wolves original announcer. The voice of my youth for all things MN b-ball.
    Harlan was the voice of the Chiefs when I was old enough to start appreciating sports.  He left Chiefs Radio after the 1993 season and I remember his line was always “Oh baby what a play!”
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    Jason P said:
    Bob Ueker is still doing Brewers games at the age of 87.  Seems like his duties are scaled back.  If you have SiruisXM, remember to tune into a Brewers game.  Great baseball voice.

• Options
    A couple of guys who I really enjoyed on ESPN, especially in the 90's were Gary Thorne calling NHL and Mike Patrick calling NFL or NCAA basketball.  Gary Thorne was gold calling a hockey game.
    Thorne has the best hockey announcer voice and goal call but he is a terrible announcer - most of the time he's not paying any attention to the game and he's off having some random conversation about the mainstream NHL guys who probably aren't even involved in the game he's announcing. He was good for a while but his last few seasons he was just awful.