Options

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist- ROUND 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Since we definitely didn't agree with Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 albums or songs of all time, I figured for fun we could move to one last questionable Rolling Stone List. This time we will look at their list of the GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL-TIME.

Alright, so here we will play the game to determine the BEST song in the Rolling Stone Top 10.

You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 3.

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist of ALL-TIME
1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Eric Clapton
3) Jimmy Page
4) Keith Richards - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
5) Jeff Beck
6) B.B. King
7) Chuck Berry - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
8) Eddie Van Halen
9) Duane Allman - ELIMINATED ROUND 1
10) Pete Townshend - ELIMINATED ROUND 1

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist- ROUND 2 26 votes

Jimi Hendrix
0%
Eric Clapton
34%
PoncierdankindBB162610Abe FromaneeriepadavePapF Me In The BrainHobbesjoe159 9 votes
Jimmy Page
0%
Jeff Beck
26%
mcgruff10pledgeagrievancejoberschlakeerebusBLACK35mrussel1tempo_n_groove 7 votes
B.B. King
34%
josevolutioncutzBIGDaddyWilmickeyratGlowGirlMedozKrgambsSmallestOceansbbiggs 9 votes
Eddie Van Halen
3%
Tim Simmons 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    B.B. King
    B.B has to go great blues man but not a Rocker .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    Jeff Beck
    B.B has to go great blues man but not a Rocker .
    But it's "guitarist" Jose,  C'mon man!  lol
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Eric Clapton
    It seems for some, the primary criterion for "greatest" is an ability to shred while dismissing the art of the riff. 

To say that Mike is a better guitar player than Stone would be an absurd statement.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Eric Clapton
    Hobbes said:
    It seems for some, the primary criterion for "greatest" is an ability to shred while dismissing the art of the riff. 

To say that Mike is a better guitar player than Stone would be an absurd statement.
    :clap::clap::clap:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2021
    B.B. King
    Hobbes said:

Ok, not really absurd though lol
    I definitely get what you mean, but Mike can play all of Stone's guitar parts, while Stone can not play all of Mike's.  
    Writing is certainly a factor, but it isn't the primary one in my opinion.  You can be a guitarist without ever writing a song, but you can't be a guitarist by composing on paper.
    For me, the ability to do BOTH is requisite for GOAT status.  If you can't shred, and pick, and write masterful and evocative melodies, you haven't come anywhere close to mastering the instrument.

*Edit
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying Mike is better than Stone.  They both have different skills in playing and I'm not trying to down on Stone.  My point is that it isn't exactly absurd to suggest that Mike has a more expansive skill set in playing the guitar, he has the ability to shred lightning fast rock/metal licks and still deliver the touch needed for a song like Yellow Ledbetter.  Shredding certainly isn't everything, and it isn't even my preferred cup of tea, I prefer stuff like what I posted below...but the ability to play complex melodies very fast is a criteria for being considered a virtuoso in pretty much every instrument.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    B.B. King
    https://youtu.be/qVk8VS-Ad2c

Anybody else never seen a theorbo before?  Pretty sweet.   
    This guy's pretty talented, it makes me think of the people on this list and who among them could learn (in a reasonably short amount of time) to play like this, and who's songs among them this guy could learn to play in the same reasonable short period.
  • Options
    B.B. King
    BB is great, but he's the most one-dimensional guitarist on the list, by a good bit.  He does slow blues masterfully, but almost exclusively.
  • Options
    B.B. King
    BB is great, but he's the most one-dimensional guitarist on the list, by a good bit.  He does slow blues masterfully, but almost exclusively.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    Eric Clapton
    Clapton is one of the most overrated of all time. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    How is it Larry Coryell is not on this list?  I saw Coryell three times playing in three very different musical style thus:
    1969: Fillmore West:  A mind blowing jazz/rock fusion performance.
    1986: Stanford, CA  Played with jazz guitarist Laurindo Almeida and phenomenal classical guitarist Sharon Isbin.  An amazing amalgam of jazz and classical guitar works.
    1988 Kimbal's, San Francisco.  A straight up jazz trio with legends Ray Brown (bass) and Art Blakey (drums).  How much better than this does it get!

Coryell could and did do it all.  It's a joke not seeing his (and others) name on that top 10 list.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    B.B. King
    brianlux said:
    How is it Larry Coryell is not on this list?  I saw Coryell three times playing in three very different musical style thus:
    1986: Stanford, CA  Played with jazz guitarist Laurindo Almeida and phenomenal classical guitarist Sharon Isbin.  An amazing amalgam of jazz and classical guitar works.
    1988 Kimbal's, San Francisco.  A straight up jazz trio with legends Ray Brown (bass) and Art Blakey (drums).  How much better than this does it get!

Coryell could and did do it all.  It's a joke not seeing his (and others) name on that top 10 list.
    They are trying to sell magazines lol 
    If they really dug deep to find the best then the list would be populated with people practically nobody has ever heard of, and that would be bad business lol

He's definitely insanely talented.  I'm not very well-versed, but I have seen him in 2 different classical trios that were fantastic and one jazz number that I pretty much hated, but I really don't go for jazz much.
  • Options
    B.B. King
    That's just a post-2000 hot take.  A man who has been revered by all the best guitarists in blues and rock for more than 50 years is hard to overrate lol
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    edited April 2021
    Eric Clapton
    rgambs said:
    That's just a post-2000 hot take.  A man who has been revered by all the best guitarists in blues and rock for more than 50 years is hard to overrate lol
    Wasnt hard for me at all. Other than his stuff with Cream I’ve had this opinion for 30 years. 
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    Eric Clapton
    Larry Coryell has about as much of a shot as Lonnie Mack or Danny Gatton. All three play circles around most of the guitarists in the RS top 10, but ain't no one ever heard of them.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    Jeff Beck
    rgambs said:

This guy's pretty talented, it makes me think of the people on this list and who among them could learn (in a reasonably short amount of time) to play like this, and who's songs among them this guy could learn to play in the same reasonable short period.
    Might as well play the fucking Harp.
  • Options
    B.B. King
    rgambs said:

Might as well play the fucking Harp.
    Doesn't sound like a harp at all.  Sounds surprisingly contemporary, really.
  • Options
    B.B. King
    So this talk of greatest guitarists has had me thinking of Billy Strings and he just posted a Pearl Jam cover.  Billy Strings is the biggest up and comer in bluegrass right now and he's a truly incredible guitarist.  He covers In Hiding in his shows sometimes, he's been known to do Crown of Thorns, and now he just posted Soon Forget.  We saw him do In Hiding at the last show in Pittsburgh, and it was better than seeing Pearl Jam sing it, in its own way.
    Billy will go down as one of the very best stringers of his generation, that's for sure.
    Here is Soon Forget to pique your interest
    https://youtu.be/kRo-lIKWPXY
    And here is one of his classic songs/performances to show what kind of skill he has
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    B.B. King
    fucks up lyrics just like ed...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

They are trying to sell magazines lol 
    If they really dug deep to find the best then the list would be populated with people practically nobody has ever heard of, and that would be bad business lol

He's definitely insanely talented.  I'm not very well-versed, but I have seen him in 2 different classical trios that were fantastic and one jazz number that I pretty much hated, but I really don't go for jazz much.

Yeah, I hear you about R.S.  And I (sort of) get it- they want to stay in business.

Here's a cool number- one of the many sides of Coryell- that will likely be on that RSD reissue coming out (OK, so Larry wasn't the world's great est singer, haha!  I actually dig his singing.  Anyway...):

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    B.B. King
    rgambs said:
    So this talk of greatest guitarists has had me thinking of Billy Strings and he just posted a Pearl Jam cover.  Billy Strings is the biggest up and comer in bluegrass right now and he's a truly incredible guitarist.  He covers In Hiding in his shows sometimes, he's been known to do Crown of Thorns, and now he just posted Soon Forget.  We saw him do In Hiding at the last show in Pittsburgh, and it was better than seeing Pearl Jam sing it, in its own way.
    Billy will go down as one of the very best stringers of his generation, that's for sure.
    Here is Soon Forget to pique your interest
    https://youtu.be/kRo-lIKWPXY
    And here is one of his classic songs/performances to show what kind of skill he has
    Love Billy Strings, great guitarist.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    edited April 2021
    Jeff Beck
    Hobbes said:

Stone is definitely the better writer but I would say Mike is the better overall guitar player.  Change my mind. ;)

And I'm not a huge fan of Phish but man can Trey play, one of the best for sure.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    B.B. King
    Better guitar player... Eddie Vedder or Chris Cornell?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    edited April 2021
    B.B. King
    With BB still on here for the moment. I have to share one of my all-time favorite guitarist Jerry Reed playing with him. I love when greats get together, you can always see the respect they have for each others' talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpbnm9OxaOs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwsVd0wm9as
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    B.B. King
    Better guitar player... Eddie Vedder or Chris Cornell?
    Ddon't make me choose! Lol
    Gotta go with Eddie, his acoustic work is pretty darn good. 
    Just Breathe is a nice little number.
  • Options
    B.B. King
    Tommy Emmanuel not in the top 100, but John Lennon is #55. I guess you just have to be a well known pop/rock artist. Or Maybe RS just doesn't admire finger style picking? Cause Tommy is one of the best in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Eric Clapton
    So many people better at guitar than Lennon.
    A guy most have never heard of, the King of New Orleans Slide/Stomp Guitar.  Mr Mooney - lucky enough to have seen him and hung out with him several times at private gigs over the last decade or so.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    B.B. King
    Eric Clapton and B.B. King have been eliminated in Round 2
  • Options
    Eric Clapton

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    Eric Clapton