Options

Have you ever been burgled?

It's a sucky feeling to come home and find your door open...

This discussion could also include "porch pirates" and car break-ins.
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22

Comments

• Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Every time I pay taxes.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Did this just happen to you Wobert?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I hope this wasn’t you, Wob.

I’ve never been subjected to a home invasion, but my poor dad was. Just after he and my mom split, he lived in a tiny TINY ground apartment. Some asshole broke in while he was out, rifled through his things, and stole his TV. Good thing they didn’t fuck with his books.

I can’t imagine the sense of violation one must feel upon making such a discovery. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Someone stole our PlayStation from my girlfriend's house and the loss of the game system was not nearly as troubling as that sense of invasion.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I don't think I've ever been burgled; I have been robbed, though. Used to get yoked all the time as a kid.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    dankind said:
    I don't think I've ever been burgled; I have been robbed, though. Used to get yoked all the time as a kid.

You've definitely been bungled though.  I know that much.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,840
    Years ago when I lived with roommates in a house in Maryland someone broke in. My roommates bedrooms were at the top of the stairs and mine was in the back. They got their computer, printer, and some jewelry stolen. Nothing of mine was taken. The kicker was that when I moved in the year before I asked them to chip in for renter’s insurance with me. They didn’t think it was worth it. So I paid for it myself each month. Once they were robbed they begged me to use the renters insurance to file a claim and promised to back pay me all the months that they didn’t pay for it. Since I had to live with them I agreed. It was a real “I told you so” moment. 

I did get mugged on the streets of NYC about 15 years ago. But that’s a whole different story. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    Did this just happen to you Wobert?
    No, but it did happen 30 years ago in Vegas. Came home from Lake Mead, plenty drunk, and found the front door wide open.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 399
    Twice - once when I was in high school and once when when in my mid 20s. The second time the guy stole all my cds including a bunch of Pearl Jam bootlegs. Both times, I didn't want to leave home for weeks afterwards. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,764
    edited April 2021
    Someone took my stereo, cds and stuff from my car. Uncool and how much are you really going to get selling cds, a banged up stereo and a couple books? Too bad some are wired/desperate/unstable and do bad stuff. Something I'm fortunate to not understand.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Someone took my stereo, cds and stuff from my car. Uncool and how much are you really going to get selling cds, a banged up stereo and a couple books? Too bad some are wired/desperate/unstable and do bad stuff. Something I'm fortunate to not understand.
    Or kids getting a thrill from stealing.

• Options
    Had my 6x9's stolen out of my jeep.  I never locked it.  Repairing the soft top was cheaper than replacing the speakers.  I opted not to buy 6x9's again.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,700
    is this the same as bungholed?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,700
    a few weeks ago, somebody went through my pick up in the drive way.

got about 87 cents and 3 yr old $500 prescription rayban sunglasses.

am waiting for lenscrafters to open as I type to get the replacement pair.

had they gone through my shit in the back seat, they might have found my $300 gps, $150 dash cam and in the lid of the center console my $200 blue parrot headset.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Had my iPod stolen out of my car parked in front of my parent's house when I was home one weekend from college
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    i have had my car broken in to and my stereo stolen back in the mid 90s. that sucked. they did not just break a window and steal it, they broke out all my windows ad t-tops. fuckers.

one of my favorite lines from an animated series is the moonenites breaking carl's window and saying "and nooow, we burgle."
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    is this the same as bungholed?

I've never been bungholed.

"been to jail, but never prison."

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Had my 6x9's stolen out of my jeep.  I never locked it.  Repairing the soft top was cheaper than replacing the speakers.  I opted not to buy 6x9's again.

Jensen tri-axials?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,425
    Never burgled, but was robbed by thugs a few times when I was a kid....luckily they didn't have guns!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    I had my car broken into at college.  The police called me and said that they noticed my window broken.  They pried my stereo out with a crow bar.  

That sucked
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    My truck was stolen a few years back.  The cop told me I shouldn't leave the keys in it.

I still do.

It's a $2000 truck, albeit.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited April 2021
    Had a really nice Craftsman tool set stolen.  Left my garage open in the middle of the day.  The once really nice neighborhood had been going to sh!t for a few years.  It was extra motivation to get my family out of there.  

I still havent replaced that set. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,494
    We have had people get into our cars outside our house a few times. The vehicles were unlocked, lesson learned. We also had a vacuum cleaner stolen off of our screened in porch. Where we are from, people usually steal smaller, easier to sell items to get more meth. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    I always tell my kids to not leave spare change out in the open in their cars.  My daughter had this small metal bucket full of quarters and other change sitting in her cup holder.  Easy smash and grab for a meth head.  $10 for them and $400 repair for me.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    mickeyrat said:

had they gone through my shit in the back seat, they might have found my $300 gps, $150 dash cam and in the lid of the center console my $200 blue parrot headset.....
    Did you leave it unlocked? Someone took some loose change out of my wife's car a few years ago. I always have to remind her to make sure she locks it.

One other time, someone broke into our shed but didn't take anything .Apparently my shovels and shit were not good enough for that thief. I was mildly offended. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Did you leave it unlocked? Someone took some loose change out of my wife's car a few years ago. I always have to remind her to make sure she locks it.

One other time, someone broke into our shed but didn't take anything .Apparently my shovels and shit were not good enough for that thief. I was mildly offended. 
    Might've just used it for shelter? We've had that happen. All they took was food and some vodka. Tough to call that one burglary, all things considered, the last thing being that more than half the house was Tyvek at this point.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

Might've just used it for shelter? We've had that happen. All they took was food and some vodka. Tough to call that one burglary, all things considered, the last thing being that more than half the house was Tyvek at this point.
    Nah it was during the summer and others in the area reported the same kind of thing. Not a whole lot of room in there for shelter.

Someone said earlier about not caring so much about what was stolen rather the feeling of an invasion that was most troubling. Even with just this shed incident and my wife's car, I can understand that feeling. Can't imagine how much worse that feeling would be if someone ever got into the house though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

Would have taken more but the popov gave me a case of the wilds.  Had to get out of there in a hurry!
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

Would have taken more but the popov gave me a case of the wilds.  Had to get out of there in a hurry!
    This was the VT house, you rascal!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

This was the VT house, you rascal!!!

Ha.  Perhaps it was my brother.