Comments

• ymalkielymalkiel Posts: 129
    My friends and I came up with an idea concerning a monthly PJ residency at the new arena:

It might be cool if they did a yearlong residency next year, playing one show a month, going through the albums in order. January would be TEN, February would be VS., March for Vitalogy, April for No Code, and so on. They are celebrating their 30th anniversary this year, so this would be a cool way to commemorate that. They could do 11 albums through November, and then December is a wild card.

What do you think?
    ✌🏼❤️
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    ymalkiel said:
    My friends and I came up with an idea concerning a monthly PJ residency at the new arena:

It might be cool if they did a yearlong residency next year, playing one show a month, going through the albums in order. January would be TEN, February would be VS., March for Vitalogy, April for No Code, and so on. They are celebrating their 30th anniversary this year, so this would be a cool way to commemorate that. They could do 11 albums through November, and then December is a wild card.

What do you think?
    That would be pretty cool. 

Although....literally anything sounds great right now.   They could play a concert of polka songs, I'd prob want to be there. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Vedd Hedd said:
    It sounds like quite the showpiece, this arena. Good for Seattle if it builds the reputation they hope it will in the article.  And the sound at Key Arena could be AWFUL at times.  That said though, now that I realize it's no more, I'm glad I got there in the last few years for a show before Key Arena went bye bye.  The signature roof will still be there, but I think my 1st time setting foot in Key Arena (I live on the east coast) was '93, so almost 30 yrs ago.  Glad I took a few pics of the plaza and inside this last time, wherever those pics are now...
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,679
    I would think a longer stint with days off in between at the venue would be better so they aren't paying for the load in/out. Maybe a 1/2 week long residency. Hype it up. Make travel packages. All that.

I would think a longer stint with days off in between at the venue would be better so they aren't paying for the load in/out. Maybe a 1/2 week long residency. Hype it up. Make travel packages. All that.

The monthly residency is sort of the Billy Joel model. He plays once a month at Madison Square Garden. And it’s been going on for a few years now, I think. That would be pretty cool to see PJ do something like that at the new arena.

I think what you’re suggesting sounds more like what Phish did at MSG in 2017. They played 13 shows spread out over about two-and-a-half weeks. They also offered travel packages like you’re suggesting. 

The Baker’s Dozen shows were pretty special. They really did something incomparable with the run, too. They didn’t repeat a single song over that entire stretch.

It would be pretty cool to see PJ do either type of residency. I think the best thing would be that they’d be playing more often. It would also give them a chance to push themselves in novel ways. A residency kind of ups the stakes on playing a different set each night.
    ✌🏼❤️
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited March 2021
    This has been in the works for 4 years plus. Can't wait to see what they do with a residency style set up if they choose to do so. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/keyarena-renovation-group-strikes-unique-partnership-with-pearl-jam-live-nation/

This is from 2017

Beyond a regular stable of shows provided by the world’s largest concert promotions company, the partnership has begun exploring an “extended residency’’ deal with legendary rock band Pearl Jam that would see it play multiple KeyArena shows on a regular basis, much like Billy Joel does at Madison Square Garden in New York. Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis has been added to an OVG advisory board exploring how to improve KeyArena’s acoustics and overall concert experience.

“If we don’t have their partnership here and we’re not able to do 40-plus nights of music and we don’t have Pearl Jam … we couldn’t stand on our own two feet and take this risk,’’ OVG CEO Tim Leiweke said. “We’re going to build it, and we believe they (teams) will come. And if they don’t come, we’re not going to get killed.’’

The Pearl Jam inclusion resulted from a meeting between the band and top OVG officials at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony last week at Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn. Among the OVG members conversing with Pearl Jam was OVG co-founder and legendary music manager Irving Azoff and Madison Square Garden (MSG) chairman James Dolan — OVG’s main financial backer.

The group also mentioned it loved the acoustics at Dolan’s renovated MSG. It also discussed loving the MSG-renovated Forum in Inglewood, Calif., telling them: “We loved that, do that in Seattle,’’ Leiweke said, relaying the conversation.

Leiweke added that Dolan and Azoff told the band they planned to do exactly that with their KeyArena remodel. Leiweke said Pearl Jam initially asked if the KeyArena remodel could be for music only, but they were told no, that it would be for music and sports just like MSG.

“So Kelly Curtis, the manager, agreed to serve on the advisory board and help us make it the perfect music experience,’’ Leiweke said. “And the band … would love to do an extended residency kind of idea because they still believe Seattle is their home city.

Post edited by PJNB on
  • pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 612
    And someone will still complain after going to all 15 shows that eflow was played too much. 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,897
    I’m all for this Seattle business but please not until after they play all the already sold shows.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • I always felt residencies make the performer look sort of old and played out. Kind of like an "act" and not a band. Like watching Celine DIon in Vegas or something. Maybe I'm wrong, it might be cool I guess.
    ...........and Evelyn ❤️

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I always felt residencies make the performer look sort of old and played out. Kind of like an "act" and not a band. Like watching Celine DIon in Vegas or something. Maybe I'm wrong, it might be cool I guess.
    I see no scenario where that is the type of residency that they are going for. 
  • PJNB said:
    I always felt residencies make the performer look sort of old and played out. Kind of like an "act" and not a band. Like watching Celine DIon in Vegas or something. Maybe I'm wrong, it might be cool I guess.
    I see no scenario where that is the type of residency that they are going for. 
    Hope not
    ...........and Evelyn ❤️

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    I agree.  I know they're on the back 9 of one of the best careers by a band ever, but I'm not ready for them to be a residency act.  I hope that's in the distant future.

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,940
    edited March 2021
    Neat idea. But... Feels like a residency is better suited to a city like a New York or Vegas where you have a huge turnover of people traveling there on a regular basis. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• ZodZod Posts: 10,523
    Yah, Seattle does feel like an odd spot for a residency, because the northwest isn't nearly as populated as the NorthEast, so it involves a lot more long haul travel.

I suppose PJ could block out a few weeks or a month.   Sell 1 show, sell another one, and then see how far they can get before they stop selling out.

I'm not sure PJ would do the once a month thing. That sort of makes an obligation every month, would make it hard for their crew to seek out other work, never really get warmed up, etc...

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    I see it playing out as a 6-8 show run once a year.    I agree that a reoccurring monthly commitment like Billy Joel would seem "past their prime".  But one long run, per year, in there home town would be appropriate for an aging vibrant band.  It could turn into an annual pilgrimage for fans around the country/world to gather for a week and celebrate this band.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    If they do do a residency, I'll just be showing up for the Pearl Jam-themed buffet items. Cuz... you can't do Vegas-esque residencies without several buffets.
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 370
    I thought the talk of them doing the residency was with one of the other ownership groups that didn’t win the project. 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 651
    KW6232 said:
    I thought the talk of them doing the residency was with one of the other ownership groups that didn’t win the project. 
    No, it was with the group that won. 

If they do a res, I don’t think it’ll mean they’ll stop touring. They’ll probably use it as a chance to do some cool stuff with setlists, get other Seattle artists involved, and raise money for local causes.

I’m all for it as I live about a block from the place. A lot of construction noise/headaches, but I kept reminding myself of this possibility. I’m also a hockey fan, so it’s all good.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    KW6232 said:
    No, it was with the group that won. 

If they do a res, I don’t think it’ll mean they’ll stop touring. They’ll probably use it as a chance to do some cool stuff with setlists, get other Seattle artists involved, and raise money for local causes.

I’m all for it as I live about a block from the place. A lot of construction noise/headaches, but I kept reminding myself of this possibility. I’m also a hockey fan, so it’s all good.
    This is how i would see it play out as well.  Like, a 4-5 show block in Seattle to kick off a tour.  Or, in an off year when they DONT tour, maybe a 6-8 show block, spread out over a couple of weekends. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    I’d love to see Pearl Jam do a “Baker’s Dozen” type of residency next summer. 10-15 shows from Mid-July to Mid-August. I’d go see a show or two. Plan a vacation around it. That’s a actually a big reason for the band to any type of residency. It would help bring in tourist dollars to their city and state.
    ✌🏼❤️
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,276
    ymalkiel said:
    I’d love to see Pearl Jam do a “Baker’s Dozen” type of residency next summer. 10-15 shows from Mid-July to Mid-August. I’d go see a show or two. Plan a vacation around it. That’s a actually a big reason for the band to any type of residency. It would help bring in tourist dollars to their city and state.
    Would be amazing if they did this. Also a fun way to spend 2 whole weeks in Seattle on vacation. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,523
    I want the opposite.  Going to Seattle in the Summer is crazy expensive, and with all those pent up travel budgets, I imagine it's going to be more expensive then the expensive it already is to find a hotel in the summer.

I keep hoping for winter tours because hotels are so much cheaper.  When they did the Key Arena show in '13 we stayed at the olive hyatt8 for $120/night.

On the flip side it is a bit fund taking all the ferries over to Seattle in the summer.  We do this cool circle route where we take the Coho to Port Angles, Drive to Bainbridge Island, hope on the little ferry that takes you to Downtown Seattle.  Hang out for a few days, then drive North. stop in Marysville for our Amerishopping, then grab the Anacortes ferry back to Sidney.