POLL - The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs- ROUND 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Since we definitely didn't agree with Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 albums of all time, I figured for fun we could move to another questionable Rolling Stone List. This time we will look at their list of the GREATEST SONGS OF ALL-TIME.

Alright, so we are now moving on to ROUND 2 to determine the BEST song in the Rolling Stone Top 10.

You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 3.

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs of ALL-TIME
1) Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone'
2) The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'
3) John Lennon, 'Imagine'
4) Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'
5) Aretha Franklin, 'Respect'
6) The Beach Boys, 'Good Vibrations'
7) Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode'
8) The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
9) Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'
10) Ray Charles, 'What'd I Say'

Complete list located here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/500-greatest-songs-of-all-time-151127/

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Songs- ROUND 2 28 votes

Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone'
10%
tbergsNSLhihobibo 3 votes
The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'
14%
GlowGirlRS151862eeriepadavergambs 4 votes
John Lennon, 'Imagine'
10%
Tim Simmonserebusjoe159 3 votes
Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'
0%
Aretha Franklin, 'Respect'
3%
pledgeagrievance 1 vote
The Beach Boys, 'Good Vibrations'
39%
PonciercutzmickeyratBrainofBGAeddiecjeff2040HobbesPJ_SoulSmallestOceansCsAc99Glorified KC 11 votes
Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode'
3%
BLACK35 1 vote
The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
17%
dankindLoujoebrianluxF Me In The Braintempo_n_groove 5 votes

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,612
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    Not even near what I would consider their best song...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yeah, but definitely a better song than several on this list.  You think Satisfaction is a better song than Hey Jude???
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    ^^^ 
    I mean, they don't sing Satisfaction in mid-world, maybe Nervous Shakedown 19, but Hey Jude is sung from Gilead through Mid-World and all the way to the edge of End-World, and presumably at nearly infinite levels of the Tower!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,819
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, but definitely a better song than several on this list.  You think Satisfaction is a better song than Hey Jude???
    ding ding ding.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,612
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    rgambs said:
    ^^^ 
    I mean, they don't sing Satisfaction in mid-world, maybe Nervous Shakedown 19, but Hey Jude is sung from Gilead through Mid-World and all the way to the edge of End-World, and presumably at nearly infinite levels of the Tower!
    Ha.

Yes, actually I think that Stones tune beats that The Beatles tune ten out of ten times.  I love the end of Hey Jude but otherwise it is just a good song.  
    rgambs said:
    ^^^ 
    Ha.

Yes, actually I think that Stones tune beats that The Beatles tune ten out of ten times.  I love the end of Hey Jude but otherwise it is just a good song.  
    That's just insane.  Satisfaction is bar-band song.  
    Ok, maybe that's a little harsh, but it isn't on a Hey Jude level.
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    rgambs said:
    It's insane to think that Hey Jude is a better song in all time song ranking than Satisfaction, in my mind.  They are miles and miles apart.
    (But that is why we do these votes....someone who thinks Hey Jude is better can vote for it.)

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    rgambs said:
    It's insane to think that Hey Jude is a better song in all time song ranking than Satisfaction, in my mind.  They are miles and miles apart.
    (But that is why we do these votes....someone who thinks Hey Jude is better can vote for it.)

And be wrong. Again. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    I'm shocked that most people think Marvin Gayes song is better than any of these?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    rgambs said:
    ^^^ 

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I'm shocked that most people think Marvin Gayes song is better than any of these?
    I think it is.  The meaning of the song for the time it came out, regarding a soldier coming back from Vietnam to find social injustice still prevalent is powerful to me.  This song and Imagine are the two strongest for me.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'

You do, though, which is why you did not vote for it?

I like it.  Great tune.  Not the best tune, to me, but a great song.
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'

You do, though, which is why you did not vote for it?

I like it.  Great tune.  Not the best tune, to me, but a great song.
    It's gone for me next round.  I would have voted for it earlier but figured others would have.

I think it is.  The meaning of the song for the time it came out, regarding a soldier coming back from Vietnam to find social injustice still prevalent is powerful to me.  This song and Imagine are the two strongest for me.

Neither do it for me.

Aretha for the win!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,741
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'

^^I never knew the meaning behind that. I'll listen more closely. Ever hear 'vietnam' from Jimmy cliff? Heartbreaking reality lots had to face.
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    It's a Boomer list...
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone'
    What are these votes for Imagine?
    Imagine, to me, is quite simply the greatest song ever recorded. Most every cover version I have heard is wonderful, and nothing beats the original. If there was one song on this list that I would have on my stranded on an island tape, it is Imagine.  
    edited March 2021
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    hihobibo said:
    What are these votes for Imagine?
    Imagine, to me, is quite simply the greatest song ever recorded. Most every cover version I have heard is wonderful, and nothing beats the original. If there was one song on this list that I would have on my stranded on an island tape, it is Imagine.  
    Really!?! I mean, nice lyrics, but a boring goddamn song.

Also, if you were stranded on an island, you would have achieved much of the idealism that is thematic to the song, so it seems unnecessary as well. No need to imagine the dream when you're living it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Loujoe said:

^^I never knew the meaning behind that. I'll listen more closely. Ever hear 'vietnam' from Jimmy cliff? Heartbreaking reality lots had to face.

No I haven't, but will have to check it out.  Yeah the whole record of What's Going On is based on the premise Marvin's brother, Frankie, coming back from Vietnam and witnessing social injustice I believe similar to what he experienced before being drafted.

"It opens with the ambient noise of a party; it's a homecoming for a Vietnam veteran. Beneath the celebration, there's uneasiness."

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    Take a hike, Jude, you are far from being the Beatles best song!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    ^^^Nice. Thanks for sharing
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    Loujoe said:
    ^^^Nice. Thanks for sharing

Not to be meant as a put down, L, I just think there are lots of better Beatles songs than "Hey Jude".  Sorry if I came across as being nasty.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    Hey now BL. Our posts crashed in cyberspace. I was thanking G KC for sharing about marvin gaye! I'm spending way too much time here.
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    Loujoe said:
    Hey now BL. Our posts crashed in cyberspace. I was thanking G KC for sharing about marvin gaye! I'm spending way too much time here.

Oh good!  And here all along I thought maybe I was being a dipshit, haha! 
    Phew!  :lol: 

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    No Dirty Frank on the list??

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506

I think What's Goin' On is the best song in that list. I loooove Marvin Gaye!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    PJ_Soul said:

Meh. 

Nice to see you around here again!
    The Beatles, 'Hey Jude'
    PJ_Soul said:

Meh. 

Anybody else feel like this should’ve been two separate posts?

No. 1!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,381
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Meh. 

Anybody else feel like this should’ve been two separate posts?

No. 1!
    "What's Going On." Meh.

What's going on, PJ_Soul?
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The Beach Boys, 'Good Vibrations' and The Beatles, 'Hey Jude' eliminated in Round 2
This discussion has been closed.