18 years ago next month, St.Louis April 22, 2003

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
With all the big market shows hogging up the discussions on what a great Pearl Jam live show is, I turn your attention this show. A home town show for me and one that stands out from a number of brutally awesome mid-west dates that spring. Present Tense as an opener (only done 3 other times), tour debut of Indifference, Sleight of Hand and Faithfull together in the main set?! I was there, about 5 rows back on Mike's side. Does the back and forth during 'Alive' get any better? Did the "yeah, yeah" from the crowd begin there? I've not heard it that forceful in other shows. I feel like this show, heavy on Riot Act and Binaural songs, begins to add to the depth of their live shows that we all sort of come to expect these days. What is your favorite dark horse 2003 show? Why?
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    PS - Holy shit, 'Alive' at this show. Good god.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Stone playing his resonator on 'Black' during this tour. Damn. Example where a minor tweak brings a song a whole new energy.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Nobody talks about the music any more! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,482
    I was lucky and had present tense as a opener in London, Ontario 2013. P/T, nothingman and into elderly woman then they started to play London calling for a few seconds then into corduroy. 🤯
    I wish they would release this show. soooo f’n good. 
    Open up the vault, please! 
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    With all the big market shows hogging up the discussions on what a great Pearl Jam live show is, I turn your attention this show. A home town show for me and one that stands out from a number of brutally awesome mid-west dates that spring. Present Tense as an opener (only done 3 other times), tour debut of Indifference, Sleight of Hand and Faithfull together in the main set?! I was there, about 5 rows back on Mike's side. Does the back and forth during 'Alive' get any better? Did the "yeah, yeah" from the crowd begin there? I've not heard it that forceful in other shows. I feel like this show, heavy on Riot Act and Binaural songs, begins to add to the depth of their live shows that we all sort of come to expect these days. What is your favorite dark horse 2003 show? Why?
    My friend was there. I think the back and forth started in Europe 2000, show 16 18 or 20 can’t remember 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,999
    DavidD said:
    I was lucky and had present tense as a opener in London, Ontario 2013. P/T, nothingman and into elderly woman then they started to play London calling for a few seconds then into corduroy. 🤯
    I still like the music! I wuz there in London too. I didn't realize it was so rare to open with pt. Sad into alone well hey that was flipping SICK!!!!
  • ymalkielymalkiel Posts: 129
    I’ve made the argument many times that 2003 was the best touring year PJ ever had. The tour hit so many cities, the set lists were varied and DEEP, and they really put it all out there every night. Maybe only 1992 rivals it at as the best touring year for the band, in my opinion.
    ✌🏼❤️
    The Fargo show from June 15, 2003 is a little spoken of gem. It’s got an interesting, if truncated, “In My Tree,” and the only version of “Thumbing My Way,” where Ed plays electric guitar instead of acoustic.
    ✌🏼❤️
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    ymalkiel said:
    I’ve made the argument many times that 2003 was the best touring year PJ ever had. The tour hit so many cities, the set lists were varied and DEEP, and they really put it all out there every night. Maybe only 1992 rivals it at as the best touring year for the band, in my opinion.
    And there was still tension in the shows...today they are basically celebrations, which is fine, but not the same feeling. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    ymalkiel said:
    The Fargo show from June 15, 2003 is a little spoken of gem. It’s got an interesting, if truncated, “In My Tree,” and the only version of “Thumbing My Way,” where Ed plays electric guitar instead of acoustic.
    Just listened to Thumbing from that show for the first time. Wow! Thanks for sharing, I need to listen to Fargo. Have a years sub to Nugs, gotta take advantage! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    ymalkiel said:
    Agreed! A depth that really started there and is what the band started building on live for years to come. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    NewJPage said:
    ymalkiel said:
    And there was still tension in the shows...today they are basically celebrations, which is fine, but not the same feeling. 
    Tension is a great word to describe the interaction between the band and audience on that tour. I’ve never thought of it that way, but the band really was challenging the audience on a nightly basis. And you’re right, these days the concerts are more like celebrations. Thanks for sharing your insight.

I remember reading many years ago that one of the characteristics of a truly great album is that it pushes things to an edge where everything could fall apart at any moment, and yet it all manages to stay together. (Think of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon or U2’s Achtung Baby, to name just two off the top of my head.) Pearl Jam’s 2003 tour was like that.

BTW, one of my favorite concerts I’ve EVER been to was the July 8, 2003 show at MSG.
    ✌🏼❤️
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,394
    NewJPage said:
    ymalkiel said:
    Agree 100%. The 98 tour was damn fun.  US 00 was somber and 03 was deep in terms of emotions and sets.  HOB and Holmdel are my sleeper shows from ‘03. 
    I ve said it for years but things changed when ga came into play.  96-11 was just pure fun at shows.  2013 onwards was all about lining up for spots and merch.  
    I miss the simplicity of the old tours.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,482
    Loujoe said:
    DavidD said:
    I still like the music! I wuz there in London too. I didn't realize it was so rare to open with pt. Sad into alone well hey that was flipping SICK!!!!
    I had no idea that PT was only played three times as a opener till op pointed it out. I think it’s perfect. 
    Given to fly, Sad and alone, was sick. 
    2003 they came to the Molson amphitheatre in Toronto, now the Budweiser stage. It’s a outdoor venue, and I love live music under the stars.  wish they would played there again.
    I think it was the first time I heard them play I believe in miracles. I Love that song. And I was hoping they had that George W. Bush mask, and they did lol 😆