Options

The best 10 albums ever made ACCORDING TO YOU!

Comments

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,654
    edited March 2021
    "What do you think are the 10 best albums ever made?  Not necessarily your 10 favorite, but the best 10 records based on influence on music, songwriting, composition, musicianship, and impact of soul/feeling/expression on listeners"

1 Berry Is On Top by Chuck Berry (influenced Keith Richards, Brian Wilson and countless others)

2 Elvis Presley- Elvis Presley (his influence was enormous. Springsteen, Petty, and many more loved his music/style/image)

3 Kind of Blue- Miles Davis (his impact was felt not only in the jazz community but people like Duane Allman also held him in high esteem for his virtuosic improvisational skills)

4 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles (as far as pure cultural impact this may be close to the top. So many artists and bands were influenced by it and music changed because of it.)

5 The Dark Side of The Moon- Pink Floyd (It is a unique sonic experience that remains unmatched in terms of its ability to be simultaneously  complex musically and lyrically simple.)

6 Thriller- Michael Jackson (this album was so popular its influence on music and culture can still be heard in music by artists like Justin Timberlake and Bruno Mars).

7 Straight Outta Compton- NWA (this album cemented Gangsta Rap as a legitimate and commercially viable form of art. It was violent and volatile but also charismatic. It influenced countless hit records in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and today).

8 King of the Delta Blues Singers - Robert Johnson (although it's cultural impact was delayed a bit many bands and artists have consider Johnson a crucial influence and the British blues explosion in the 60s definitely owes him and other originators a debt of gratitude).

9 Lady Soul- Aretha Franklin (she was/is a diva deserving of her own category. Her voice has so much soul and her impact on music cannot be denied.)

10 Nevermind- Nirvana (This album and really several others as well helped define a generation with a new sound, new image, and new ways of looking at the world. Gone were the hair bands of old. Kurt was the antithesis of a rock star and yet thurst into the role and the results were tragic but the art he left in his wake will forever inspire others).

Honorable Mentions-

The Band- The Band (Americana/folk rock)
    The Velvet Underground and Nico- The Velvet Underground (art rock/alternative)
    American Beauty- The Grateful Dead (jam bands) 
    Ramones- Ramones (punk rock) 
    Is This It- The Strokes (rock/"garage rock revival")
    Kid A- Radiohead (art rock/electronic/experimental)
    Paranoid- Black Sabbath (metal)
    Loveless- My Bloody Valentine (shoegaze)
    Unknown Pleasures- Joy Division (post-punk)
    Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix Experience (blues rock/psychedelic rock)
    The Stooges- The Stooges (proto punk)
    What's Going On- Marvin Gaye (soul)
    Master of Puppets - Metallica (metal)
    Run DMC- Run DMC (hip-hop)
    Blue- Join Mitchell (singer/songwriter)
    Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen (rock) 
    Appetite for Destruction- Guns N' Roses (hard rock) 
    Back In Black- Ac/DC (hard rock) 
    London Calling- The Clash (punk/rock/ska...)
    Highway 61 Revisited- Bob Dylan (folk rock)
    Live at Folsom Prison- Johnny Cash (country)
    Doolittle- Pixies (indie rock)
    Murmur- R.E.M. (college rock/indie/alternative rock)
    Yankee Hotel Foxtrot- Wilco (indie rock)
    Daydream Nation- Sonic Youth (indie/alternative/experimental)
    Tommy- The Who (rock)
    Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys (pop/baroque pop/experimental pop)
    Rumors- Fleetwood Mac (Pop Rock)
    Dummy- Portishead (trip-hop)
    Violator- Depeche Mode (synthpop)
    The Downward Spiral- Nine Inch Nails (industrial)...
    Sweetheart of the Rodeo- The Byrds (country rock)
    Graceland- Paul Simon (world music) 
    Exodus- Bob Marley (Reggae)
    The Best of Muddy Waters- Muddy Waters (Blues)

Lots of others I'm forgetting here just so many great albums that have defined genres and culture at different times. 

Post edited by pjpjpaul on
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    edited March 2021
    Edited below.
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    pjpjpaul said:
    "What do you think are the 10 best albums ever made?  Not necessarily your 10 favorite, but the best 10 records based on influence on music, songwriting, composition, musicianship, and impact of soul/feeling/expression on listeners"

1 Berry Is On Top by Chuck Berry (influenced Keith Richards, Brian Wilson and countless others)

2 Elvis Presley- Elvis Presley (his influence was enormous. Springsteen, Petty, and many more loved his music/style/image)

3 Kind of Blue- Miles Davis (his impact was felt not only in the jazz community but people like Duane Allman also held him in high esteem for his virtuosic improvisational skills)

4 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles (as far as pure cultural impact this may be close to the top. So many artists and bands were influenced by it and music changed because of it.)

5 The Dark Side of The Moon- Pink Floyd (It is a unique sonic experience that remains unmatched in terms of its ability to be simultaneously  complex musically and lyrically simple.)

6 Thriller- Michael Jackson (this album was so popular its influence on music and culture can still be heard in music by artists like Justin Timberlake and Bruno Mars).

7 Straight Outta Compton- NWA (this album cemented Gangsta Rap as a legitimate and commercially viable form of art. It was violent and volatile but also charismatic. It influenced countless hit records in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and today).

8 King of the Delta Blues Singers - Robert Johnson (although it's cultural impact was delayed a bit many bands and artists have consider Johnson a crucial influence and the British blues explosion in the 60s definitely owes him and other originators a debt of gratitude).

9 Lady Soul- Aretha Franklin (she was/is a diva deserving of her own category. Her voice has so much soul and her impact on music cannot be denied.)

10 Nevermind- Nirvana (This album and really several others as well helped define a generation with a new sound, new image, and new ways of looking at the world. Gone were the hair bands of old. Kurt was the antithesis of a rock star and yet thurst into the role and the results were tragic but the art he left in his wake will forever inspire others).

Honorable Mentions-

Tommy- The Who (rock)

Lots of others I'm forgetting here just so many great albums that have defined genres and culture at different times. 

Lots of great albums there.  Berry and Presley for sure.  From the "influence" angle, it would be hard not to include something by Muddy Waters, but a specific album of Muddy's would be a tough choice as his influence stems mostly from singles.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Honorable Mentions-

Tommy- The Who (rock)

Lots of great albums there.  Berry and Presley for sure.  From the "influence" angle, it would be hard not to include something by Muddy Waters, but a specific album of Muddy's would be a tough choice as his influence stems mostly from singles.
    I added his "Best of" to the honorable Mentions due to the fact that it's probably the one that influenced people the most in the 60s. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    My current choices accounting for different genres of music I frequently listen to.

1. Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser (was going to go with Coltrane for my jazz pick, but I like this one more) 
    2. Elvis Presley - Since albums weren't really what made him a big deal I can't find one to choose from besides his number 1's, but his influence was huge.
    3. The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers/Revolver (Their sound just evolved so much around this time)
    4. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (everything you could want from LZ)
    5. Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues (Another hard choice, but overall this album is excellent and spawned an epic tour)
    6. Metallica - Master of Puppets (while it wasn't until the Black album that I discovered them, this is the magnum opus)
    7. The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (classic and ahead of it's time)
    8. Dr. Dre - The Chronic (I enjoy Snoop, 2Pac, Biggie, et. all, but this was the beginning)
    9. Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (Jesus Christ Pose!)
    10. Michael Jackson - Thriller (what a pop masterpiece)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Some said RHCP “By the Way”.  I dont like the title track but man what an incredible album. 

• Options
    Some said RHCP “By the Way”.  I dont like the title track but man what an incredible album. 

I love the song "This Is The Place" and feel it is vastly underrated. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    pjpjpaul said:

"Don't Forget Me" FTW!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    dankind said:
    pjpjpaul said:

"Don't Forget Me" FTW!!!
    Tear.  Venice Queen.  Beautiful album. Dark, good harmonies.  Really underrated
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    dankind said:
    pjpjpaul said:

"Don't Forget Me" FTW!!!
    Tear.  Venice Queen.  Beautiful album. Dark, good harmonies.  Really underrated
    Small random story.  My Uncle was an LAPD beat cop(brother of the one whom wrote to Manson) and he had a book w paroles in it that they picked up in the area and he was one of these people.  Anthony Keitser, occupation Musician.  My uncle told us that everyone in that book would be either dead or in prison.  My sister went and grabber her latest episode of Spin w them on the cover.  My uncle didn't believe it.  He must have seen some things...
    Pic was circa 1984.  Magazine was 96.
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    I'm excluding live albums, and counting double albums as one. In my limited musical experience, and in no order:

U2 - Achtung! Baby (this would be #1, without hesitation for me)
    Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
    Oasis - Morning Glory
    Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
    Counting Crows - August and Everything After
    Led Zeppelin - IV 
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness
    Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
    Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
    Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

Cornell's Songbook would make the cut if I counted live albums.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Gibson said:
    I'm excluding live albums, and counting double albums as one. In my limited musical experience, and in no order:

U2 - Achtung! Baby (this would be #1, without hesitation for me)
    Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
    Oasis - Morning Glory
    Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
    Counting Crows - August and Everything After
    Led Zeppelin - IV 
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness
    Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
    Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
    Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

Cornell's Songbook would make the cut if I counted live albums.
    Not able to rank it top 10 in good conscience, but August and Everything After is one hell of an album!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    This is an unspeakably difficult task but here goes (in no order):

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    Neil Young - On The Beach
    Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Tool - Lateralus
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
    Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
    U2 - Achtung Baby
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Pearl Jam - Yield
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    My Morning Jacket - Evil urges
    Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall
    Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
    Beta Band - The Three EPs
    The Beatles - White Album 
    Radiohead - Ok Computer
    Pearl Jam - No Code

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Harvest- Neil Young
    Ten or Vs- Pearl Jam
    Led Zeppelin- take your pick
    Have to think about more
    Of course almost every Beatles album is worthy as well...
    Have to add Jethro Tull- Aqualung.  Brilliant album.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    To heck with the need to be snootchy bootchy about what the music did, meant, blah.
    Looking at many lists, there is no fucking way everyone else is using the highbrow radar on their picks.
    That stated, this is what I type up this evening -- in a metal mood, would be very different tomorrow:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love
    NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake
    Dead Kennedys - Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
    PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    Joakim Thåström - Skebokvarnsv. 209
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Leonard Cohen - I'm your man
    ABBA - The Visitors
    The Doors - Waiting for the Sun or Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hil
    Nirvana - Nevermind

Now, morning meeting at work so can't think about it more. This I guess is more favorite albums than "best albums". Who cares.
    Stories From The City... is a perfect album
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Edved82 said:
    This is an unspeakably difficult task but here goes (in no order):

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    Neil Young - On The Beach
    Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Tool - Lateralus
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
    U2 - Achtung Baby

Oh, but it's so fun to watch people sweat. lol!
    Good list!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited March 2021
    To heck with the need to be snootchy bootchy about what the music did, meant, blah.
    Looking at many lists, there is no fucking way everyone else is using the highbrow radar on their picks.
    That stated, this is what I type up this evening -- in a metal mood, would be very different tomorrow:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake

I should have asked for two lists:

"The 10 best Snoochy Bootchy Albums EVER"

and...

"Sod Off You Boor, These are the Best 10 Ever... Says ME!"

:lol:

The Committee for Proper Listings will review your list and contact you when they have made a decision.  Thank you for your entry.
    Monty Pythons John Cleese Michael Palin React to Terry Jones Death Two  Down Four to Go

• Options
    brianlux said:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake

and...

The Committee for Proper Listings will review your list and contact you when they have made a decision.  Thank you for your entry.
    Monty Pythons John Cleese Michael Palin React to Terry Jones Death Two  Down Four to Go

I have tix to see John Cleese in October. Really hope it doesn't get canceled. I saw him and Eric Idle a few years ago and it was hilarious. I love Monty Python. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,764
    brianlux said:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake

and...

I don't recognize the dude in the upper right. Behind the scenes writer?
  • Options

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake
    I'm curious about the DK album.  Why that one?  I picked Frankenchrist because there isn't a bad song on the whole thing and they were at their top for that one.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake
    I'm curious about the DK album.  Why that one?  I picked Frankenchrist because there isn't a bad song on the whole thing and they were at their top for that one.

It is sort of a cheat, right?  It is a compilation/rarities record.
    The reason this rings the loudest for me is simply that it was my intro to DK's music after learning about them during the PMRC bullshit.  Bought it when it first came out, remember picking the cassette and falling in love with it on the first play through.  I was not into Hardcore Punk, at all, and it was amazing.  My buddies thought it was fucked up, which only made me love it more.  Think I was in 7th or 8th grade.  Angry little fucker and this blew me up.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake

It is sort of a cheat, right?  It is a compilation/rarities record.
    The reason this rings the loudest for me is simply that it was my intro to DK's music after learning about them during the PMRC bullshit.  Bought it when it first came out, remember picking the cassette and falling in love with it on the first play through.  I was not into Hardcore Punk, at all, and it was amazing.  My buddies thought it was fucked up, which only made me love it more.  Think I was in 7th or 8th grade.  Angry little fucker and this blew me up.

Cool cool.  Same reason I loved them.  It was fast and angry.  I was picking up any hardcore album I could find around the time this came out too.

First one I bought from them was In God We Trust Inc.  LOVED that album but when I got to Frankenchrist, man.  That album was just the best to me and like you said, the PMRC hearings, Oprah, it was all amazing.

Thanks for telling me/us.
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake

and...

I have tix to see John Cleese in October. Really hope it doesn't get canceled. I saw him and Eric Idle a few years ago and it was hilarious. I love Monty Python. 

Very cool!  I hope he keeps the date.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Loujoe said:
    brianlux said:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    AC'DC - Back in Black
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake

and...

I don't recognize the dude in the upper right. Behind the scenes writer?
    Some cheeky American animator. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,764
    Ahh the guy who drops the boot on everyone and crushes them. I bet he likes to take pictures...nudge nudge, you know what I mean...riiiiiight right. 
    Now for something completely different.

• Options
    Loujoe said:
    Ahh the guy who drops the boot on everyone and crushes them. I bet he likes to take pictures...nudge nudge, you know what I mean...riiiiiight right. 
    Now for something completely different.

• Options
    adhooperadhooper Brevard, NC Posts: 1

This weekend is the 50th anniversary of this gem.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2021
    love/loved gregg's old band a real lot. musical hero, of mine.. 1st set and 2nd set were the 2 discs for me  ;)   back where it all began. and a nice first post i might add!
    also... i'm completely amazed that a new band can come along, to my old ears, and be a real contender for this category.
    every song on billy's new cd(home 2019) is killer. no filler. that doesn't happen enough, for me.
    this tells me that my list can change every year, because i haven finished listening to everything yet  :)
    quad should be on everyone's list.