Wearing Reading Glasses with Contacts

GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
So, after having perfect vision for most of my life, a few years ago I started wearing reading glasses. I am ok with that. However, now my further away vision seems to be going a bit as well (getting older sucks). I can see things that are really far away perfectly. I can read street signs from blocks away. However, my medium vision (such as looking across my living room) is starting to get slightly blurry. A few years ago I tried both progressive glasses, and multi-focal contact lenses. Both made me feel dizzy. So, I was thinking of trying to get single focus contact lenses for my more distant vision issues, and wear reading glasses over them for my reading issues. The optometrist said that people do that. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this. I wasn't a huge fan of putting in contacts when I tried them before, but if I get the single focal ones, I can get disposable, which I couldn't before. I heard those are more comfortable. Thoughts?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Ha.  Know exactly what you mean.  I am legally blind in one eye and my other eye used to be perfect...but has deteriorated over the years of compensating.  Hit 40 and like most that meant further changes in my eyes.

Max power for the brand of extended wear (multi-focus) that I wear and the doc told me if I needed to I could pick up a set of readers from CVS or somewhere and use with my contacts.  This is actually exactly what I used to do with single focus lenses and it worked fine.  Went to multi since it seemed helpful.

Now, I can read fine late at night when I am tired so long as I have a strong light source.  If I do not, I cannot. 
    Bout time to bust out the readers again!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Ha.  Know exactly what you mean.  I am legally blind in one eye and my other eye used to be perfect...but has deteriorated over the years of compensating.  Hit 40 and like most that meant further changes in my eyes.

Max power for the brand of extended wear (multi-focus) that I wear and the doc told me if I needed to I could pick up a set of readers from CVS or somewhere and use with my contacts.  This is actually exactly what I used to do with single focus lenses and it worked fine.  Went to multi since it seemed helpful.

Now, I can read fine late at night when I am tired so long as I have a strong light source.  If I do not, I cannot. 
    Thanks for the info, B. Yeah, it is crazy how much our eyesight changes as we get older. To make my reader's more palatable, I got a really nice pair of frames and splurged on the transition lenses so they turn into sunglasses when I am reading outside. I will likely do the same thing for the readers I will need to wear over the contacts. I am glad it worked for you. You are lucky you can wear the multi-focus contacts  - they really made me nauseous. A strong light source definitely makes a difference. I think I will try the single focus contacts with reading glasses as I need them. I wish I was a candidate for Lasik, but I don't think they do it for age related eyesight issues.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The eyes are amazing. My dad wore glasses for years (for distance), then he just didn’t need them anymore.

I don’t know how you people put contacts in! The idea of doing it myself gives me the heebee jeebees. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Been wearing contacts since I was a pup.  
    Having one eye that pretty much doesnt work will encourage that.  Played sports all though high school. ..could not imagine having done that with glasses on.
    Plus ....well, the ladies 
    (The ladies, the ladies!)

:lol:

GlowGirl said:

Thanks for the info, B. Yeah, it is crazy how much our eyesight changes as we get older. To make my reader's more palatable, I got a really nice pair of frames and splurged on the transition lenses so they turn into sunglasses when I am reading outside. I will likely do the same thing for the readers I will need to wear over the contacts. I am glad it worked for you. You are lucky you can wear the multi-focus contacts  - they really made me nauseous. A strong light source definitely makes a difference. I think I will try the single focus contacts with reading glasses as I need them. I wish I was a candidate for Lasik, but I don't think they do it for age related eyesight issues.

Yeah, when Lasik came I was so excited to get it.....not a candidate.

I'm sure you will find a solution that works for you 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    GlowGirl said:
    So, after having perfect vision for most of my life, a few years ago I started wearing reading glasses. I am ok with that. However, now my further away vision seems to be going a bit as well (getting older sucks). I can see things that are really far away perfectly. I can read street signs from blocks away. However, my medium vision (such as looking across my living room) is starting to get slightly blurry. A few years ago I tried both progressive glasses, and multi-focal contact lenses. Both made me feel dizzy. So, I was thinking of trying to get single focus contact lenses for my more distant vision issues, and wear reading glasses over them for my reading issues. The optometrist said that people do that. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this. I wasn't a huge fan of putting in contacts when I tried them before, but if I get the single focal ones, I can get disposable, which I couldn't before. I heard those are more comfortable. Thoughts?
    Bad eyes club member xxx214 here. I have tried the reader approach but I found that lighting was a huge factor and too often not controllable. Bifocal contacts drove me crazy so my optometrist suggested I try a prescription where my left eye is used for distance and my right eye for up close. Over time my eyes have been "trained" to focus depending on the distance, it is strange because I can recognize which eye is dominant now depending on the situation. Without my contacts in I have zero issues seeing anything from about 12"-18" away, beyond that I can't even recognize myself in the mirror. He did mention women usually adjust to this approach better for whatever reason. Good luck finding the right balance.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Club member xxx215 here lol. I've been wearing glasses for 36 of my 38 years, so I have no advice for the op. My eyes really suck though. I have to wear bifocals and have esotropia, so that was rough growing up. Other kids could be very cruel about it. I desperately wished I could wear contacts when I was in middle and high school, but the ophthalmologist said I wasn't a good candidate for them because of the esotropia. Doctors might have a different opinion now as I believe there is a surgery that could fix it. At this point, I am who I am and glasses are part of my look so I wouldn't look at other options unless it becomes necessary.
    edited March 2021
    FiveBelow said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Bad eyes club member xxx214 here. I have tried the reader approach but I found that lighting was a huge factor and too often not controllable. Bifocal contacts drove me crazy so my optometrist suggested I try a prescription where my left eye is used for distance and my right eye for up close. Over time my eyes have been "trained" to focus depending on the distance, it is strange because I can recognize which eye is dominant now depending on the situation. Without my contacts in I have zero issues seeing anything from about 12"-18" away, beyond that I can't even recognize myself in the mirror. He did mention women usually adjust to this approach better for whatever reason. Good luck finding the right balance.
    Thanks. My appointment is tomorrow so I will see what they say. I have heard about that approach that you have. I was really fine with the readers when I am on my computer, phone, and reading a book. But this new distance issue is throwing it all off. I just know that I can't use the progressives. I tried them twice and returned them twice. So, I really hope the contacts for distance and the readers over them for up close will work. Also, I can see perfectly for really far distances so I hope that doesn't complicate things. I do know that one eye is much better than the other. When I cover the bad eye, I can see pretty well for any distance (except for reading). But the other eye is a blurry mess. 

• How did your appointment go @GlowGirl?
    edited March 2021
    How did your appointment go @GlowGirl?
    I got the contacts. I can definitely see clearer with them in terms of my distance vision. But now I need to get new lenses on my reading glasses. The contacts mean I need a weaker prescription for the reading glasses. Right now I am using a very old pair of reading glasses with a weaker prescription than my current ones to work on my computer, and they work ok. But I am getting new lenses in my current ones since they are a much nicer pair. It will just take a few days to get them back. Thanks for asking. I hope you are doing well.

The only downside is for a while I was seeing myself in the mirror with sort of a soft focus. Now that I can see clearer, I think I prefer the soft focus :blush:

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • :lol: I always prefer the softer focus when looking in the mirror!
    Best just not to look at all.  :lol:

Glad you had a good visit and have it figured out.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I feel like the mods should merge this thread with the other old ladies thread. :pensive:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    dankind said:
    I feel like the mods should merge this thread with the other old ladies thread. :pensive:

Are you insinuating that the Hey Ladies thread is for old ladies? 
    Renfield said:
    dankind said:

Are you insinuating that the Hey Ladies thread is for old ladies? 
    In spirit. I believe there was talk of rockers. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I wore bifocal contacts for years and they were great.  Unfortunately as I got older the reading prescription is too weak on the bifocals.  I did the contact/readers thing for a year or so and then just got glasses with progressive lenses.  Yes, they feel weird the first day or two, and they are very expensive, but you get used to them. Finally broke down last year and got a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses with prescription lenses. Best. Money. Ever. Spent.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:

At least it wouldn’t merge with that godawful “Ed is hot” (or whatever the title is) thread. I confess, that one frightens me. 
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

At least it wouldn’t merge with that godawful “Ed is hot” (or whatever the title is) thread. I confess, that one frightens me. 
    The thirsty thread.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    People give up on progressive addition lenses far too quickly.  If you can get used to jabbing a contact onto your eye and leaving it there all day, you can get used to pointing your head where you want to see lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?