The shutdown...a great time to revamp things?

What I'd wish they'd do:

Number one:
Whatever the equivalent of a "defrag" is for membership numbers. If someone is 299XXX, there's obviously a LOT of empty numbers lower than theirs. Why not move everyone up?

If 2,000 people are in line to ride a rollercoaster and 10 people drop out, you're no longer 2,000 in line, are you?

My 279xxx from 2003....I wouldn't be surprised if it's lower than 250k. A lot of people sign up for tours. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people temporarily dropped out around 2010-2013 when things got relatively quiet.

Number two:
When it comes to seated tickets, let people choose their own seats based on seniority. When it comes time to buy tickets, the first thousand or so get to go first...for all shows. Two tickets per show, seats or GA. Nothing changes there.

But, if you choose seats, you should be able to select your seats off a map. Want aisle seats? There ya go. Stone's side? Done.

Nothing regarding membership senority would change. Member 12924 would still have much better seats than 299019.

But...one advantage? If husband and wife wanted four tickets side by side, that could easily happen...the member with 12,924 would need to wait until 299,019 became eligible. At this point, they'd both go on the map, select their seats and they'd get four seats together.

It'd be the same with a group wanting 8, 10, 12 or however-many tickets. They'd wait until the window opened for everyone.

I'll admit the downside would be that the member since 1999 would take a huge "hit for the team" to sit with others who joined in 2006, 2009 and 2014, but it's the trade-off.
Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"

Comments

• Yeah, I'd love to know my "real" place in line.  Great ideas here, I vote "AYE" for both resolutions.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    I don’t care who I’m around as long as I keep getting treated like I have all these years! #wingsforlife 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dcp3ydcp3y Posts: 818
    Great ideas!
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    edited February 2021
    Who cares? I have Cubs Season tickets, every year I get closer to the dugout/home plate. Number hasn’t changed, I know people are leaving/dying/lost income/etc. Every year tickets are better than the last, same process here. 

The choosing thing, you think 10 Club is gonna do that? The same Club that barely mentions the XMas singles we’re still missing? Not to be a downer but it ain’t happening
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,523
    Sounds like a make work project for the 10c.   I doubt they'd ever do that due to it taking time and having limited resources.

I too would be curious how many fan club members are out there.  What I do know is that my '98 membership kept having tickets further and further back.   Multiple shows, a few rows further back.  4 lottery rows, 4 rows further back kind of thing :)

I don't need to know my number to know I should go for GA :)
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    It sounds like you're saying the 1,000 members for each show that have the best 10c numbers should be able to pick GA if they want.  That's not how GA works.  GA is random and not based on how good a number someone has.

The choosing reserved seats will not happen.  As Zod points out, it would be a lot of extra work for the Ten Club.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,822
    edited February 2021
    Zod said:
    Sounds like a make work project for the 10c.   I doubt they'd ever do that due to it taking time and having limited resources.

I too would be curious how many fan club members are out there.  What I do know is that my '98 membership kept having tickets further and further back.   Multiple shows, a few rows further back.  4 lottery rows, 4 rows further back kind of thing :)

I don't need to know my number to know I should go for GA :)

I think Tim said there's around 200k-300k active at any given time. Obviously, a lot of people (and scalpers) will join up for the tour. I know I certainly could have quit between 2004-2009 and only missed some records and maybe a few shirts...but I hung in there and it paid off.

The 2003 tour was the weird one. We were all assigned to blocks, but the earlier tickets were picked up, the better the seats within that block. I got to the window probably later on...and I'm sure my seats could have been a bit better.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,822
    edited February 2021
    Yefa said:
    It sounds like you're saying the 1,000 members for each show that have the best 10c numbers should be able to pick GA if they want.  That's not how GA works.  GA is random and not based on how good a number someone has.

The choosing reserved seats will not happen.  As Zod points out, it would be a lot of extra work for the Ten Club.

Yeah, I agree. It's not going to happen, but it'd be nice.

With Ticketmaster taking over and tickets being digital, who knows?

I did a shitastic job of explaining it prior. Here's a better rendition:

GA should certainly be random...no disagreement there. What I meant (and did a terrible job explaining) is that if someone wins seats based on the current system...they go on to a seat selection page later and select exact seats. You'd still select pit or GA, but if you win seats, there'd be a "Seat Selection Phase."

If you miss your window, you can still select.

In a very rough example:

Monday:
    12pm - Members 1-100,000 begin eligibility to select their exact seats for all shows they won seats for.

5pm - Members 100,001-200,000 begin eligibility.

Tuesday:
    12pm - Members 200,001-300,000...

5pm - Members 300,001-400,000...

Wednesday:
    12pm - Members 400,000-600,000...

5pm - 600,000 and up.

If someone wanted to sit in a block with family friends, they'd need to wait until their entire group was eligible.

Of course, if 10C reassigned numbers (while keeping everyone in the same order), the timeslots to pick seats could change, as the highest number wouldn't be above 400k.

Maybe there'd even be another 25k every 30 or 60 minutes.

Hypothetically:
    I enter for pit and seats for Cleveland, Detroit and Pittsburgh using the same system in place since 2013.

I win seats for Cleveland. I win pit for Detroit.

Detroit, I do nothing. I simply show up the day of the show, the same as it's been.

I'd be eligible to select seats for Cleveland starting at noon on Tuesday. If I wanted to sit next to a friend who just joined, I'd have to wait until 5pm Wednesday. We'd go on together (using our own accounts) and then select whatever seats.

But we'd have four together.

Oh, and Pittsburgh? I'd have to wait until the general sale or decide I'm happy with two shows.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on