Carole King-Yes

Fela Kuti-Yes

LL Cool J-Yes

New York Dolls-Yes

Rage Against the Machine-Yes

Todd Rundgren-Yes

Tina Turner-Yes

Dionne Warwick._maybe

My votes.  Interesting nugget is that Rundgren produced NY Dolls' first album.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    They all deserve to get in, but 

Devo

Jay-Z

Fela Kuti

Rage Against the Machine

Tina Turner

is who I voted for.

• Devo
    Jay Z
    RATM
    Tina Turner are my votes
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    The "rock and roll" monniker makes it tough for me to say yes to the likes of Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Mary J. Blige and to a smaller extent Tina. And obviously rap & hip hop acts like Jay-Z and LL Cool J aren't actually "rock and roll" artists, though I find their art a lot closer to rock than say Dionne Warwick's.
    But precedence has been set, so if we go on 6 inductees (could be more but that's a normal year average), Id say these 6 are most deserving:

Jay-Z
    Tina Turner
    New York Dolls
    Rage
    Todd Rundgren
    Carole King.

However I expect the Foos to get in(they should, but maybe not this year), and I expect the Dolls and probably Rage to be snubbed,

This weekend we rock Portland
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    I love RATM, but I don't think they have the catalog of work as a band to get in.
    I would say these guys are shoo-ins:
    Foo Fighters
    Iron Maiden
    Jay-Z 
    Based on the Hall voters, I'd say Tina Turner, Devo and Todd Rundgren are also in. LL Cool J is close.
    I doubt they induct Maiden. Think they should, but just don't see it happening.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,598
    Poncier said:
    The "rock and roll" monniker makes it tough for me to say yes to the likes of Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Mary J. Blige and to a smaller extent Tina. And obviously rap & hip hop acts like Jay-Z and LL Cool J aren't actually "rock and roll" artists, though I find their art a lot closer to rock than say Dionne Warwick's.
    But precedence has been set, so if we go on 6 inductees (could be more but that's a normal year average), Id say these 6 are most deserving:

Jay-Z
    Tina Turner
    New York Dolls
    Rage
    Todd Rundgren
    Carole King.

However I expect the Foos to get in(they should, but maybe not this year), and I expect the Dolls and probably Rage to be snubbed,

Yes, it's called the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, but we need to remember how we got to rock n roll in the first place.  
    kramer73 said:
    Poncier said:

Jay-Z
    Tina Turner
    New York Dolls
    Rage
    Todd Rundgren
    Carole King.

Yes, it's called the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, but we need to remember how we got to rock n roll in the first place.  
    I understand. Just that you don't see Lynyrd Skynyrd for example in the Country Music hall of fame.
    The RNR HOF lost me when they inducted Madonna. Really don't see how you call her a rock act. And some others have followed suit, Whitney and Janet for example. Dionne Warwick falls into this kind of gray area for me, don't really see any rock elements to her music.
    Soon enough Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys may get inducted..
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    No nod to The Replacements?  Huhh!  All I've got to say is this:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    Fela Kuti. i was an instant fan when i saw it go down, live.

Femi Kuti and his Positive Force perform One People One World on Later... with Jools
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpk248bJDY

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    Poncier said:
    I doubt they induct Maiden. Think they should, but just don't see it happening.
    Dear lord they had better!  Maiden sells out arenas, have had the same lineup, multi platinum records!  

My only question is if Di’ano gets in too?
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    edited March 2021
    Maiden is every bit as deserving as KISS.  They along with kiss, transformed the marketing and merch aspect of Rock.  I remember always loving the Maiden Tshirts I saw, but never listening to them beacuse they were Devil worshipers clearly.  I finally gave them a chance 30 years too late, amazing group of musicians.  I would love to see them rattle the foundations of the RRHOF to the ground

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,651

Akron mayor launches campaign to get Devo inducted into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Doug Livingston
    Akron Beacon Journal
    An energy dome promoting Devos induction in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame appeared this week in downtown Akron 49 more are on the way

Red tires stacked like the energy domes Devo wore on their heads are appearing in Akron as the mayor whips up community support to get the Akron band inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

City Hall confirmed the campaign Wednesday morning in a news release sent to local media. The campaign includes declaring April 1 as Devo Day and encouraging the public to vote for the band's induction. The news was originally reported Tuesday in Consequence of Sound, a New York-based online music magazine.

More:Akron's ‘Devo Day’ proclamation sounds a little foolish, doesn't it?

Noting that Devo Day would fall on April Fools' Day, the Beacon Journal applied some journalistic skepticism in trying to confirm the news Tuesday but could get no response from the mayor's office. (The mayor's chief of staff confirmed Wednesday that Devo Day and the month-long induction campaign were for real.)

The news release issued Wednesday carried the same quotes from Mayor Dan Horrigan and Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney, another Akron native, that appeared in the Consequence of Sound article retweeted by Devo the prior day.

"It's no joke!" the city tweeted Wednesday, digitally dropping a red energy dome on the seal of the city of Akron.

“The City of Akron has an unbelievable sense of pride, especially when it involves the success of our people,” said Horrigan in the prepared statement. “We are, and will continue to be, immensely proud to be the home of Devo and will be rallying this great community to help them achieve the recognition they deserve.”

“Devo is of course one of my favorite bands,” Carney is quoted as saying in the press release. “It was a huge thing for me as a teenager to know a band from Akron as cool and weird could strike a chord (no pun intended) that resonated so massively around the world.”

Horrigan said he'll join a famous cast of fellow Devo fans, including actor/musician/comedian Jack Black, pro-skater Tony Hawke and actor/comedian Fred Armisen, in a "DEVOtional" video to promote the band's induction at the ceremony this year. The nominee's list released in February includes: Mary J. Blige, Kate Bush, Devo, Foo Fighters, The Go-Go’s, Iron Maiden, JAY-Z, Chaka Khan, Carole King, Fela Kuti, LL Cool J, New York Dolls, Rage Against the Machine, Todd Rundgren, Tina Turner and Dionne Warwick.

Akron residents can celebrate Devo Day by voting at rockhall.com and trending the band on social media by using #DEVOTE. The hall of fame's public ballot will endorse five bands. Private balloting will be combined with the public ballots, and the inductees will be announced in May.

To gin up votes from the Rubber City, Downtown Akron Partnership is installing life-size cutouts of the band in a Bowery storefront along Main Street near Lock 3. A similar cutout adorned the facade of an old building there before private development began last year.

Around town, including a first sighting not far from Lock 3, will appear 50 red stacks of tires resting like Devo hats with QR readers that lead smart devices to the rockhall.com,  where they can vote for Devo.

Devo released its first album in 1973, well beyond the 25-year range to be considered for induction into the hall of fame. The band consists of the Mothersbaughs brothers Mark (vocals/keyboard) and Bob (keyboard/guitar), the Casales brothers Gerald (bass) and Bob (guitar), and drummer Alan Myers.

Reach reporter Doug Livingston at dlivingston@thebeaconjournal.com or 330-996-3792.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2021
    I got a “nice Maiden shirt” compliment today from a woman I’ve never met. I’m wearing it under a flannel. This is all you can see of the shirt. 

You’re goddamn right they belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Based on staying power alone, I’d say Maiden, Devo, Tina Turner, The Go-Go’s, and LL Cool J should get in.

Tapestry
    should have its own damn induction. Not quite rock, but it’s adjacency certainly made its mark. 

Others on the list are just as influential and remain somewhat fresh, but if I understand how this works, they’ll probably be eligible for longer. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,419
    I'm not sure who is more deserving....an act that has only put out a few records but continue to tour, an act that was the first of it's kind, or an act that continues to put out new quality material?
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    when kate bush did this duet with peter gabriel in 1979 i was blown away
    when kate comes in singing. it is like being in heaven.

Kate Bush & Peter Gabriel - Another Day (1979)

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    dankind said:
    I got a “nice Maiden shirt” compliment today from a woman I’ve never met. I’m wearing it under a flannel. This is all you can see of the shirt. 

You’re goddamn right they belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!
    I’m not the biggest Iron Maiden fan but by ALL they certainly should be in TRRHOF. No different than when RUSH was excluded from that status.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,636
    edited April 2021
    brianlux said:

They were nominated once. Maybe three years ago and of course they didn’t get enough votes to stay on the ballot.  

In a weird way i kind of dont want them in there. They’re so much cooler than your usual HOF band and they’ve thrived on being the outcasts.   

In my personal rankings they’re one of the top 5 rock bands ever.  Pure rock music.  Multiple styles.  Punk attitude.  Influenced everyone from Nirvana/Pixies/PJ/Dinosaur Jr.   Basically all good rock bands post-85. :lol:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,651
    current fan vote tally

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    Need Fela in
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    brianlux said:

They were nominated once. Maybe three years ago and of course they didn’t get enough votes to stay on the ballot.  

In a weird way i kind of dont want them in there. They’re so much cooler than your usual HOF band and they’ve thrived on being the outcasts.   

In my personal rankings they’re one of the top 5 rock bands ever.  Pure rock music.  Multiple styles.  Punk attitude.  Influenced everyone from Nirvana/Pixies/PJ/Dinosaur Jr.   Basically all good rock bands post-85. :lol:

I totally agree, CP, and so well stated!  Yeah, they're definitely one of my top favorite bands as well  (which are The Replacements/ Westerberg, Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, Dinosaur Jr, The Dream Syndicate.
    If they somehow were voted in, I'm not even sure Paul, Tommy and Chris would show up to the gig and Slim (who as you know wasn't an original member) probably can't travel these days. 

I'm collecting postcards of musicians and fans (or in some cases will have to make post cards from photos) and hoping to have enough wall space to put up my own music wall of fame with all my favorites.  That would be more meaningful to me than some phony Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.