Options

Bruce Springsteen sells himself to Jeep ad

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
edited February 2021 in Other Music
Yes. This is an ad. Just because an advertising agency pitched the idea of "lets sell your company this super bowl as having a message like Nike so successfully did" doesn't make it Not an ad. The same with Verizon last year using Pearl Jam (this seemed to be lost on some last year). A superbowl commercial slot is expensive. It is used to make money by selling a brand and their product. Just like River Cross was used to sell Verizon's product.

Bruce Springsteen's Super Bowl Ad for Jeep: Watch - Rolling Stone

https://youtu.be/D2XYH-IEvhI

Bob's car ad had more penache

https://youtu.be/UU6CFr2ndbQ

Neil young - last man standing yet again?

https://youtu.be/KSSvzCNBvlQ

Thanos to Neil: In time you will know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail all the same. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    I think Springsteen is still talking.  They had to switch back to the game, so we will never know.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    It made me want to give my jeep back. Extremely boring commercial that felt like it never ended. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Springsteen should tell America exactly where is the middle between hate, murder and empathy.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    yeah, this doesn't bother me.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    It is a typical Bruce speech.  Wasn’t going to be short.  Ha.   

Don’t need lectures from car companies or whatever corporation on topics totally unrelated to their product.  Loved the Cheetos sketch on SNL.  

• Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002

Thanos to Neil: In time you will know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail all the same. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.
    Neil sold 50% of publishing rights of his entire catalog so who knows what’ll come of that and advertising 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    C’mon. You’re Bruce Springsteen.  Should’ve been the new Bronco.  Not Jeep. 
  • Options
    Hawk123 said:

Neil sold 50% of publishing rights of his entire catalog so who knows what’ll come of that and advertising 
    Keep reading your articles about just that, and you might get the answer to that very question.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hawk123 said:

Keep reading your articles about just that, and you might get the answer to that very question.
    Typical condescending response from you. No one knows the terms of the deal, my point was a simple who knows what’ll come. Apparently you do. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776

Even Neil Young, who once vowed that he “Ain’t singing for Pepsi / Ain’t singing for Coke” in a 1988 tune, endorsed Amazon’s high-quality music streaming in 2019.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    mickeyrat said:

Even Neil Young, who once vowed that he “Ain’t singing for Pepsi / Ain’t singing for Coke” in a 1988 tune, endorsed Amazon’s high-quality music streaming in 2019.

Yup. Not as extensive as the NYA, but a hell of a lot easier to navigate.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    Hawk123 said:

Yep the literal definition of selling out. I still love me some Neil though.  As i get older i find myself not giving a shit how artists decide to sell or use there music or voice.  
  • Options
    Hawk123 said:
    Hawk123 said:

Typical condescending response from you. No one knows the terms of the deal, my point was a simple who knows what’ll come. Apparently you do. 
    In Wednesday’s announcement, Mercuriadis said that his company and Young “have a common integrity, ethos and passion born out of a belief in music and these important songs. There will never be a ‘Burger of Gold’ but we will work together to make sure everyone gets to hear them on Neil’s terms.

We know what has been stated about the deal.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Hawk123 said:
    Hawk123 said:

In Wednesday’s announcement, Mercuriadis said that his company and Young “have a common integrity, ethos and passion born out of a belief in music and these important songs. There will never be a ‘Burger of Gold’ but we will work together to make sure everyone gets to hear them on Neil’s terms.

Neils out there praising Amazon, so obviously he is not immune
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    no springsteen music was used. he scored it.  what exactly did he sell? he was driving his own vehicle.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    on these matters ... i really don't care about anyone's opinion but my own.
    and i would never say to any artist how you can and can't make money. i don't have that right...
    my opinion is ... i fucking loved the commercial and especially the message he's preaching. he took total control and nailed it.
    even better he didn't have to use a particular song of his to say what he wanted.
  • Options
    on these matters ... i really don't care about anyone's opinion but my own.
    and i would never say to any artist how you can and can't make money. i don't have that right...
    my opinion is ... i fucking loved the commercial and especially the message he's preaching. he took total control and nailed it.
    even better he didn't have to use a particular song of his to say what he wanted.
    I couldn’t agree more 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Best thing I read about it was a blurb quoting some dude on Twitter:  "Jeep for President" :lol:
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Hawk123 said:
    Hawk123 said:

Neils out there praising Amazon, so obviously he is not immune
    Ofc he's not.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    no springsteen music was used. he scored it.  what exactly did he sell? he was driving his own vehicle.
    See the title of the thread.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Best thing I read about it was a blurb quoting some dude on Twitter:  "Jeep for President" :lol:
    Haha
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Not too concerned with what 70 yr old men do for retirement money.  
  • Options
    I have a hard time caring about selling out in 2021. 
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Who cares.

I do a lot things as a 40 something year old, that 20 year old me wouldn’t be down with. You know like holding down a job, investing money, listening to jazz, getting regular haircuts, being married, all that conformist stuff.
  • Options

I stopped caring about artists "selling out" when I grew up & start working for a living. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Meh, outrage culture on overkill. The Variety article explains the whole thing well. This wasn't some cash grab scenario by Bruce. He did it because he believed in the message. This is on par with those complaining Eddie isn't angry and suing TM anymore. If you want to believe it's a sellout, then no one is going to change your mind, not even the artist. If that pisses you off, you can choose to boycott their music and be "disappointed". It's not like he did a lame Stella Artois ad...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    tbergs said:
    Meh, outrage culture on overkill. The Variety article explains the whole thing well. This wasn't some cash grab scenario by Bruce. He did it because he believed in the message. This is on par with those complaining Eddie isn't angry and suing TM anymore. If you want to believe it's a sellout, then no one is going to change your mind, not even the artist. If that pisses you off, you can choose to boycott their music and be "disappointed". It's not like he did a lame Stella Artois ad...
    :lol:

And to think his daughter has promoted another beer...in an irritating whisper, yet!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited February 2021
    tbergs said:
    Stella doesn't need ads:

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Bruce is an American legend.  He can do whatever the fuck he wants and I'm still going to see 3 shows a tour.