Cool Pearl Jam photos by Steve Gullick

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,294

Stepping into the 21st century with my final Pearl Jam instalment... // 1 & 2 were taken on 13th April 2000 in New York for NME, this trip is particularly significant as it’s where I met Stevie Chick (we went on to start Careless Talk Costs Lives & Loose Lips Sink Ships magazines together) // 3 & 5 - Seattle - 19th & 20th May 2009 Backspacer press shots session // 4 & 6 - 20th January 2009 at Pearl Jam’s Seattle HQ for a Mojo magazine story (again with Stevie Chick)

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,294

Eddie Vedder / Pearl Jam - Paramount Theatre, New York - 17th April 1994... Kurt Cobain had just died, very upsetting & confusing times to put it mildly. Melody Maker asked me to go to New York with editor Allan Jones to get a Pearl Jam cover story (it turned into two) This sequence gives you an idea of how the photo session developed... started innocently in the bathroom & ended in Eddie decorating his & my face with a burned cork... we agreed to keep the faces for the show... I certainly got some strange looks but knew my appearance would be validated when Eddie arrived on stage... the lights dip & out pops a clean faced singer... bastard! HA!

Some more Pearl Jam... such an exciting band... being down the front with a camera when it was all kicking off was a real blast, we had a good laugh off stage too... /// 1 - Eddie Vedder backstage at The Paramount in New York... Kurt Cobain had just died, we were deranged - April 1994 /// 2 - Eddie on stage at ULU, London - February 1992 /// 3 & 4 - Seattle waterfront for a Melody Maker cover shoot, they were supposed to play a show at the gasworks but it got pulled - May 1992 /// 5 - on stage at The Borderline, their first London show - February 1992 /// 6 - CB’s NYC - November 1991... the first time I saw them play /// 7 - In a Sony records board room (same day as the CBGB show I think)

I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve photographed Pearl Jam, upon our first meeting I was instantly drawn to EV’s intensity & passion - I was particularly struck by his desperation to get the photos done so he could get on stage, he didn’t want to keep the audience waiting...here’s a bunch in colour from the early 90’s - 1 - In the bogs at CBGB, NYC - November 1991 / 2 & 3 - Copenhagen, February 1992 / 4 - Seattle, May 1992 / 5 - backstage at Brixton Academy, London - March 1993 / 6 - Paramount Theatre, NYC - April 1994

Bump!