R.I.P. Sylvain Sylvain of New York Dolls.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
Just heard the new.  Just 69 yrs old and gone.  Sylvain was so cool and the New York Dolls were such an awesome band.  Really sad to hear this.
R.I.P., Syl.

RIP Sylvain Sylvain- New York Dolls  Steve Hoffman Music ForumsSylvain Sylvain guitarist for New York Dolls dead at 69

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,813
    RIP. I love the Dolls. There is a great documentary on Arthur Kane on Amazon. I highly recommend it  

I think David Johansen is the last man standing in that band. I’m going to have to listen to them today. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    GlowGirl said:
    RIP. I love the Dolls. There is a great documentary on Arthur Kane on Amazon. I highly recommend it  

I think David Johansen is the last man standing in that band. I’m going to have to listen to them today. 

Another Dolls fan! Very cool, GG!

Big thumbs up to the documentary New York Doll.  Have watched that several times.

Another good Dolls film is "New York Dolls, All Dolled Up".  Bob Gruen and Nadya Beck followed the band around in the early 70's and caught several performance on film.  The film and sound quality are marginal but the performances and band history more than make up for it.  I have the DVD and it includes some full performance in the extras and some of them are terrific, especially "Vietnamese Baby" (Johansen is rather stunning as the blonde cowgirl with the big voice, lol), "Jet Boy" and a few others.

Yeah, sadly David J is the last Doll standing. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,140
    GlowGirl said:

Same.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,743
    edited January 2021
    Sorry for the loss.

I saw them once in 2010 play at joey ramones bday bash. I'm not familiar with their stuff, but they had a bunch of dancing nuns on stage and one of the members son on guitar. The show was a bit....shocking. In a twisted fun way. 
    Post edited by Loujoe on
    Loujoe said:
    Sorry for the loss.

I saw them once in 2010 play at joey ramones bday bash. I'm not familiar with their stuff, but they had a bunch of dancing nuns on stage and one of the members son on guitar. The show was a bit....shocking. In a twisted fun way. 

Sounds crazy, wild, AND fun, L!

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,419
    edited January 2021
    Got to see the NY Dolls when they opened for X on my birthday in 2008......glad I got to see them at least once....they are part of music history.
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Got to see the NY Dolls when they opened for X on my birthday in 2008......glad I got to see them at least once....they are part of music history.

Wow!  Awesome birthday treat!