Options

Toronto Night 1 2016 (Binaural Full Album Show)

They picked the rarest possible album to ever do live in full and it was part of the second to last North American arena show to date. Think of that for a second, the last NA arena show was on May, 12 2016. I’ll wait until you’re done crying...

Okay anyway, this gives us opportunity to cover some songs we almost never touch - God’s Dice, Evacuation, Thin Air, Rival, Sleight of Hand, Soon Forget, Parting Ways. We’ll also talk a bit about how tough it is to construct a set around playing a full album and whether or not it worked for this one.

listen here, subscribe wherever. The next episode is promised to be a bloodbath Pearl Jam game show. Hang on tight.

Also, you may have seen this circulating but tomorrow (Thursday) is our Pearl Jam themed holiday party over Zoom, all are welcome to attend. Please DM or email, liveon4legspodcast@gmail.com if interested
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    edited December 2020
    Hey! A show I attended! 
    Look, I know a lot of you were in the pit and loving this performance. However, I had 10c seats and I have to admit that the crowd around me was dead! I even asked I guy nearby once they ripped into God’s Dice, “Hey, do you think they’re about to play Binaural?” and he had no idea what I was talking about! Maybe he couldn’t hear what I was saying.
  • Options
    I still think this may have been the wrong venue for this album. Obviously there are tons of PJ die hards in Southern Ontario but there are also quite a number of casuals looking for a night out. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    edited December 2020
    I d be bored as hell if I was at this show.  Terrible album to play in a sold out arena.  (Only ten and vs could work).  I hate full albums played at shows, it is lazy, lame and obviously predictable.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I was at the show and loved it.  A buddy also in 10Club seats but on other side of arena called me 2 songs in and said there’s no way they’re doing it!!!  Everyone around me (Stone’s side of the stage) were really enjoying it.  Couple days later I did talk to a casual fan and they were upset that PJ wasted 13 songs doing an entire album.  I said ya you must’ve been really let down with the other 20 songs they played.   Probably over 2 1/2 hr show 33 songs loved every minute of it!!!!
  • Options
    It was great to hear Of The Girl, Parting Ways, and Rival. Never thought I’d witness them.
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    edited December 2020
    I was there too. I do agree that it wasn’t a set for the masses, but for a person who had seen them a number of times by that point I really enjoyed it and didn’t mind at all getting some covers that I hadn’t heard before (but, please, drop RItFW forever. Unless the Man himself is in the house on stage with them.)
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mcgruff10 said:
    I d be bored as hell if I was at this show.  Terrible album to play in a sold out arena.  (Only ten and vs could work).  I hate full albums played at shows, it is lazy, lame and obviously predictable.  
    Yea, VS at Greenville was pretty epic...Corduroy to warm up then.. Go, Animal, Daughter, I knew by the beginning of Daughter.

And kinda strange when I saw them at Third Man Records, they warmed up with Corduroy before they started cutting the records.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,456
    Just curious... why is this the “rarest” album to do live?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 933
    edited December 2020
    on2legs said:
    Because after Binaural, and really for some of these during the 2000 tour, they barely even touched them. Grievance was one of the most commonly played songs... in the 2010s it was played a total of 7 times. That to me a is a waste of the song so important to the record. Evacuation, Rival, Parting Ways have all been played under 30 times total. Sleight of Hand, God’s Dice, Soon Forget are in that 40-50ish range. Especially nowadays. Maybe you’ll get Light Years. I’ve been to 20 shows since 2008 and have seen Breakerfall, NAIS, Insignificance, Grievance and Sleight of Hand. That’s it. If you wanted these songs, this was likely your one and only shot
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    rummy said:
    I still think this may have been the wrong venue for this album. Obviously there are tons of PJ die hards in Southern Ontario but there are also quite a number of casuals looking for a night out. 
    There are large numbers of casuals at every concert. I was there too.... Binaural is a great album, so I really enjoyed it. Be well everyone
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Because after Binaural, and really for some of these during the 2000 tour, they barely even touched them. Grievance was one of the most commonly played songs... in the 2010s it was played a total of 7 times. That to me a is a waste of the song so important to the record. Evacuation, Rival, Parting Ways have all been played under 30 times total. Sleight of Hand, God’s Dice, Soon Forget are in that 40-50ish range. Especially nowadays. Maybe you’ll get Light Years. I’ve been to 20 shows since 2008 and have seen Breakerfall, NAIS, Insignificance, Grievance and Sleight of Hand. That’s it. If you wanted these songs, this was likely your one and only shot
    Gotcha... 

I wasn’t at the full album show but have been able to catch all of Binaural live over the years.

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Insignificance is the song from Binaural I most wish they would return to the regular rotation. 

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    on2legs said:
    Insignificance is the song from Binaural I most wish they would return to the regular rotation. 
    Parting ways should be played way more.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    Yes.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    My favourite post-1990s PJ song!
    (I guess it’s kind of bad that my choice was released only a year after the nineties ended!!!)
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 591
    Was at this show from Vancouver, while in TO for work. I had mixed feelings because Binaural is one of my least favourite albums of PJ. However it is weird, before this show for a couple weeks, I had listened to Binaural again and it grew on me more.
    I was on the floor so most of us knew it by song three and were digging it, but definitely a bit more mellow vibe for those 13 songs then a normal PJ show. Casuals just don't know it well or at all, no major radio hit. Overall I am glad I got to hear it and one of the rare full album PJ shows, but I also feel it is an album they won't do again live for the above reasons.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    I did 10 shows on the Binaural tour so I've been able to see all of the songs live. But I can't say I'd want to see them all in the same show lol.

That being said, Insignificance, Rival, and Grievance should all be played more often than they are. And Of the Girl should be in the opener rotation more often as well. 
  • Options
    There was also an idea floating around that they played Binaural in full to appease the out-of-town fans that had to miss the postponed night 2 show (it was postponed a day due to a  scheduling conflict with a Raptors playoff game).
    FWIW, I thought the Night 2 show was quite good (maybe aside from the Better Man rant).
  • Options
    rummy said:
    There was also an idea floating around that they played Binaural in full to appease the out-of-town fans that had to miss the postponed night 2 show (it was postponed a day due to a  scheduling conflict with a Raptors playoff game).
    FWIW, I thought the Night 2 show was quite good (maybe aside from the Better Man rant).
    I loved Night 2...and also found the Better Man rant was not great and, for me, kinda killed the song that night.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Awesome show, and amazing tour. Gotta go back and re-listen to them all again.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    I was at this show as well. It was a mixed reception. As fun as it is to be at full album shows (I was at the Ten show in Philly as well), I don't think Binaural would be anyone's first pick of albums for this, including probably most of the band. As a fan, it was nice to be able to check off all the songs on the album from my "seen live" list but the bigger result was my least favourite Toronto show ever. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,804
    I was at the show.  GA , third row ( approx) Mike's side.  Everyone around me lost their minds when God Dice was played.   Funny enough as we waited for the show to start I was talking with people around me and I said " If Last Exit is one of the first couple of songs played this place will be anticipating STBC to follow" 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    D-Rod said:
    I was at the show.  GA , third row ( approx) Mike's side.  Everyone around me lost their minds when God Dice was played.   Funny enough as we waited for the show to start I was talking with people around me and I said " If Last Exit is one of the first couple of songs played this place will be anticipating STBC to follow" 
    Of course! There was a lot of anticipation/hope for a Vitalogy-in-full show, wasn't there? If  I recall correctly, someone had done a nice drawing of the album's cover on the sidewalk near the ACC. (Can't seem to locate that image online at the moment)
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,540
    rummy said:
    D-Rod said:
    Of course! There was a lot of anticipation/hope for a Vitalogy-in-full show, wasn't there? If  I recall correctly, someone had done a nice drawing of the album's cover on the sidewalk near the ACC. (Can't seem to locate that image online at the moment)
    You're not wrong, but the artist also did a few other albums around the ACC that day.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Gibson said:
    rummy said:
    D-Rod said:
    You're not wrong, but the artist also did a few other albums around the ACC that day.
    Ah, I see. I guess the Vitalogy-hype took over one of the threads I was reading in the forum.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    I was there, and wow, I can't believe that was the last arena show.   Jeez.  Hoping for a massive world tour in 2022 in arenas. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,564
    rummy said:
    D-Rod said:
    Someone started a play Vitalogy in Toronto thread. I chimed in with Binaural please and thank you. I’d like to think that’s all it took. 😜
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 826
    on2legs said:
    I was at Amsterdam in 2014 and night one they did Breakerfall, Evacuation, Light Years and Thin Air. For a non full album show I'd say that was pretty good.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I was there, and wow, I can't believe that was the last arena show.   Jeez.  Hoping for a massive world tour in 2022 in arenas. 
    The show on the 12th was the last N American arena show.
  • Options
    drew76drew76 Posts: 18
    I was into it, by the 3rd song I realized it was going to be the whole album. At some point during the set my wife left our 10c seats to walk around because she was bored, she's been to many shows but doesn't really know anything beyond vitalogy. I read the next day that the ACC set a record for beer sales that night, I believe it was because all the people who didn't know or care for Binaural haha...
    Toronto - 05
    Toronto1- 06
    Toronto - 09
    Toronto1,2 -11
    Hamilton -11
    London -13
    Philly1,2 -13
    Toronto 1,2 - 16
    Hamilton - 22
    Toronto - 22