The Last Waltz revisited

Having just watched Once Were Brothers and then The Last Waltz
A: do you think a modern concert of superstars could happen?
B: who would you like to see in it?

would love to see some of the last big names (Dylan, McCartney, Young) get together before there are tribute concerts to them
1996: Toronto
2003: St. Paul
2005: Thunder Bay
2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
2010: Boston
2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
2012: Missoula
2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II

Comments

• erebus said:
    Having just watched Once Were Brothers and then The Last Waltz
    A: do you think a modern concert of superstars could happen?
    B: who would you like to see in it?

would love to see some of the last big names (Dylan, McCartney, Young) get together before there are tribute concerts to them
    Yes. It already happened. 121212 and Eddie Vedder was involved.   McCartney, The Who, Eric Clapton, Stones, Billy Joel, Roger Waters (with Ed), and others including who can forget Kanye?!  Lol. (Not to mention also with Chris Rock, Billy Crystal, Adam Sandler)

Not quite the same as not the collaboration, but The Band was a unique situation because they were a band that played behind or with many of those people and it was a retirement concert of sorts. 

If you want something closer, EC does the Crossroads Guitar Fest every few years since 2007 (last one in ‘19) that has quite a bit more collaboration.  EC, BBKing (when he was alive), Buddy Guy, Keith Richards, Carlos Santana, Bo Diddley, Robert Cray, Jeff Beck, Keith Urban, Vince Gill, Joe Walsh, Robbie Robertson, Sonny Landreth,  Keb Mo, Robert Randolph, Gary Clark Jr, Doyle Braymal II, Jimmy Vaughn, The Allman Brothers, John Mayer, Taj Mahal, JJ Cale, Bonnie Raitt, Albert Lee, etc.  

I mean seeing EC and  The Brothers recreate Derek and the Dominoes (obviously without Duane) in 2013 is about as close as you can get to what you’re talking about. 

I’m sure folks have other examples in different genre. 

So, in short, yes I think they’ve happened and can.  And my wishlists are above lol.   

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited December 2020
    I can see it but it would have to be U2 breaking up or something.  Someone big and respectable enough to get a wide array of artists to cover your stuff. 

Now i have to go play The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.