Options

Layered (Looped) Vocals Live for DOTC

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,837
I'm wondering how they'll pull off Ed's multiple layered vocals live. I'm sure with the other guys backing up, but I know there's like three Eds going on at the end lol. Would be super cool if they did some loops like with Arc and how Radiohead will often play back vocals in their live shows....
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
2018 Boston I, Boston II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 Boston I, Boston II

Comments

• Options
    I'm wondering how they'll pull off Ed's multiple layered vocals live. I'm sure with the other guys backing up, but I know there's like three Eds going on at the end lol. Would be super cool if they did some loops like with Arc and how Radiohead will often play back vocals in their live shows....
    I've never been a fan of using pre-recorded overdubs unless it's completely necessary. Like Van Halen using the pre-recorded keyboard part for "Jump." They had no one to play the keys live, so it made sense. But here, I think the rest of the band could back him up pretty well. Even if it doesn't sound exactly the same as the record. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I could see Ed experimenting with a loop pedal. They’re pretty straight forward to use and a lot of fun.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,837
    mfc2006 said:
    I could see Ed experimenting with a loop pedal. They’re pretty straight forward to use and a lot of fun.
    Yeah - this is what I was thinking....would be cool....
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I think the other guys will cover some of those parts
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    I've never been a fan of using pre-recorded overdubs unless it's completely necessary. Like Van Halen using the pre-recorded keyboard part for "Jump." They had no one to play the keys live, so it made sense. But here, I think the rest of the band could back him up pretty well. Even if it doesn't sound exactly the same as the record. 
    Pre-recorded keyboard on Jump was so hokey to me. Didn't like it.  I would prefer nothing pre-recorded at a live show. 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Pre-recorded keyboard on Jump was so hokey to me. Didn't like it.  I would prefer nothing pre-recorded at a live show. 
    Yeah I don't disagree with ya there. I'm with ya about preferring nothing be pre-recorded. I just used that as an example where I at least I could understand where they're coming from since they didn't have anyone extra in the band to play it live.

Strings aren't that bad to overdub. I saw Roger Waters play The Wall and for "The Trial," the orchestra was an overdub. It was like that when he did it with Pink Floyd as well.  

Going back to PJ, I didn't like when they'd do the pre-recorded intro for "Severed Hand." But I think their reasoning was that when Eddie tried to play it live, it sounded very similar to an AC/DC song. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com