Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    also, a Canadian band out of Nova Scotia called Like A Motorcycle have an album coming out. donate to the Mi'kmaq cause and send proof of your donation and the band will send you a code to download their new album for free. 

donation sent to: monicah@sipeknekatik.ca, make the subject line "1752 Moderate Livelihood"
    then send a screengrab of your donation to likeamotorcycle@gmail.com and they'll send you the code to the new album when it's released (Oct 30). 

I believe a few other artists are on board with this as well, like Dearly Beloved (one of my faves)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

http://www.likeamotorcycle.com/

if you wish to preview their music
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Doesn't look like a situation well handled but the question I have to ask is, How do you protect both First Nations' rights and protect marine species?  No easy answer here.  One thing for sure- if ocean life is over-fished, species will go extinct and if too many disruptions in the balance of nature occur, people will become extinct. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Doesn't look like a situation well handled but the question I have to ask is, How do you protect both First Nations' rights and protect marine species?  No easy answer here.  One thing for sure- if ocean life is over-fished, species will go extinct and if too many disruptions in the balance of nature occur, people will become extinct. 
    that's actually addressed in the article, Brian, that the indigenous fishing is so far below that of the commercial fishing (like 1/1000 i think it said), it's negligible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    that's actually addressed in the article, Brian, that the indigenous fishing is so far below that of the commercial fishing (like 1/1000 i think it said), it's negligible. 

Sorry, I missed that!

So how should they regulate the commercial fisheries? 
    Option one:  Political intervention.
    Option two:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It's awfully what's going on in Nova Scotia.

The 1st nations lobster 🦞 fishing had traos stolen off their boats and the RRCP just watched.  Someone torched a processing plant 1st nations brought their catch to.  This reserve wants the military to be involved...the RCMP (racist police).

Brian,  how many 1st nations members do you think there are.  They are not the problem.  The problem is whitey who thinks they have a right to govern 1st nations peoples.  Our 1st nations have been fighting for the right to govern themselves, and I fully support this and if they eventually get the right I may see if I can become an honorary member.  Because our system of government is fucking dumb...

1st nations peoples can hunts and fish 24/7 as far as I'm concerned. 

Give Peas A Chance…

AFN chief calls for resignation of RCMP commissioner as N.S. fishery dispute continues

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianlux said:

Yes. Outlaw it completely. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:

You first Sweden...lead by example for once in your existence as a country.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If everybody ate food that was at least regional, preferably local, maybe none of this would be a problem.  Live on the coast?  Eat fish and artichokes.  Live in the Sierra foothills?  Eat chicken, and apples.  Live in Wisconsin?  Eat cheese and sunflower seeds. 
    Just a thought.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2020
    brianlux said:

Shows how lacking your knowledge of history is if this is what you believe.

How Sweden became the first country in the world to ban corporal punishment

It's now been over 35 years since the Swedish parliament voted in favour of the country's both hailed and criticized ban on corporal punishment in the home.

/.../

The ban made headlines all over the world when it was first introduced. Swedish Radio's correspondent in Paris at the time says that she remembers reading headlines like 'The Swedes have gone mad' and 'The government takes charge of parenting in Sweden'

But despite a lot of early criticism and scepticism from other countries, many have since followed suit and introduced similar bans. Finland was the first country after Sweden to abolish corporal punishment in the home, and a few years later Norway and Austria adopted similar laws. As of today, 46 countries prohibit parents from smacking their children.

In Canada, parents may use physical force to discipline their children

Lol.
    In ten years, it has gone from zero equal countries in the world to six, the World Bank states in a new report on economic equality. And Sweden gets full points on the World Bank's gender equality scale, together with Belgium, Denmark, France, Latvia and Luxembourg.

Sweden remains committed to continue taking a leading role on climate action. With the Government’s overarching goal of becoming the world’s first fossil-free welfare state, Sweden wants to showcase a prosperous, inclusive and equal society without greenhouse gas emissions.

On Dec. 2, 1766, Sweden became the first country in the world to have freedom of the press written into its Constitution. The Swedish Freedom of the Press Act also established the principle of providing public access to information, which made it legal to publish and read public documents.

In 1974, Sweden was the first country in the world to replace gender-specific maternity leave with parental leave. The so-called parental insurance enabled couples to take six months’ off work per child, with each parent entitled to half of the days.

But yes. Sweden should ban fishing.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:

Shows how lacking your knowledge of history is if this is what you believe.

How Sweden became the first country in the world to ban corporal punishment

It's now been over 35 years since the Swedish parliament voted in favour of the country's both hailed and criticized ban on corporal punishment in the home.

/.../

The ban made headlines all over the world when it was first introduced. Swedish Radio's correspondent in Paris at the time says that she remembers reading headlines like 'The Swedes have gone mad' and 'The government takes charge of parenting in Sweden'

But despite a lot of early criticism and scepticism from other countries, many have since followed suit and introduced similar bans. Finland was the first country after Sweden to abolish corporal punishment in the home, and a few years later Norway and Austria adopted similar laws. As of today, 46 countries prohibit parents from smacking their children.

In Canada, parents may use physical force to discipline their children

Lol.
    In ten years, it has gone from zero equal countries in the world to six, the World Bank states in a new report on economic equality. And Sweden gets full points on the World Bank's gender equality scale, together with Belgium, Denmark, France, Latvia and Luxembourg.

Sweden remains committed to continue taking a leading role on climate action. With the Government’s overarching goal of becoming the world’s first fossil-free welfare state, Sweden wants to showcase a prosperous, inclusive and equal society without greenhouse gas emissions.

On Dec. 2, 1766, Sweden became the first country in the world to have freedom of the press written into its Constitution. The Swedish Freedom of the Press Act also established the principle of providing public access to information, which made it legal to publish and read public documents.

In 1974, Sweden was the first country in the world to replace gender-specific maternity leave with parental leave. The so-called parental insurance enabled couples to take six months’ off work per child, with each parent entitled to half of the days.

But yes. Sweden should ban fishing.

Your a fraud country.  You do not like what Canada does...who cares.  Do not buy anything from Canada or visit.  Yes.  My knowledge of Sweden is lackinG.  That's because I have no use for a country that cowherd during WW2 when the friggen war was on your continent.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    can we not turn this into a 'my country vs your country' bullshit argument again? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Do some of you people really think that less than 2 million Canadian 1st nations people are the problem?  Maybe some of you need a reminder.  It was the European and Spanish colonist that have destroyed much of North America's wildlife.  They are the ones that stole land, clear cut the land for their farming operations, and in the process displaced an untold number of wildlife and killed off much of the wildlife in order to grow your grass to eat...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Do some of you people really think that less than 2 million Canadian 1st nations people are the problem?  Maybe some of you need a reminder.  It was the European and Spanish colonist that have destroyed much of North America's wildlife.  They are the ones that stole land, clear cut the land for their farming operations, and in the process displaced an untold number of wildlife and killed off much of the wildlife in order to grow your grass to eat...
    besides the swede, who are "some of you people"?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99 said:
    Yes.  My knowledge of Sweden is lackinG. 
    Okey. Good. So you don't know shit about what you post about. Okey.