Options

Happy Thanksgiving, my Canadian friends!

thanksgiving where it was meant to be, right in the middle of October. Enjoy the day off, fellow Canucks! 

a little history, if you wish:

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-odd-complicated-history-of-canadian-thanksgiving/
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    Thanks for the read. Hope you get your freak on nicely today and enjoy the backyard weenie roast.

I ended up bringing a feast to a starving family member and nixed the big family gathering.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Here we are in the U.S. "celebrating" Continental Conquest and Genocide of Native Americans Day (and dealing with all the other crap we have going on in the U.S.) and you folks are celebrating Thanksgiving. 

Congratulations, Canada!  I wish I were one of you!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    brianlux said:
    Here we are in the U.S. "celebrating" Continental Conquest and Genocide of Native Americans Day (and dealing with all the other crap we have going on in the U.S.) and you folks are celebrating Thanksgiving. 

we had slavery. 
    we tried to extinguish aboriginals as a people and a culture. 
    I live in one of the most racist cities in canada. 

honestly, i think a lot of canadians think we are/were better as a nation than the US. that's arguable, to be honest, brian. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:

we had slavery. 

honestly, i think a lot of canadians think we are/were better as a nation than the US. that's arguable, to be honest, brian. 
    I know your country isn't perfect, but these days, it seems like a better option (if such an option were possible).

It's true that Canada and the U.S. were founded in much the same way by European continental conquest.  Perhaps it is naive of me to think Canada has solved it's problems in better ways than we have in the U.S.  Perhaps I'm having "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome.  But my impression is that you guys do things in better ways.  I don't hear about Proud Boys in Canada.  You've certainly never had a Prime Minister as whackadoo as our POTUS.  I've never heard of a Canadian militia that wants to overthrow you government.

So back to the subject at hand- what is Thanksgiving like in Canada?  Here in the U.S. it's all about family gatherings and eating turkey, yams, cranberry sauce and pie until you are completely stuffed and rolling on the floor moaning.

Same there?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

we had slavery. 

I know your country isn't perfect, but these days, it seems like a better option (if such an option were possible).

It's true that Canada and the U.S. were founded in much the same way by European continental conquest.  Perhaps it is naive of me to think Canada has solved it's problems in better ways than we have in the U.S.  Perhaps I'm having "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome.  But my impression is that you guys do things in better ways.  I don't hear about Proud Boys in Canada.  You've certainly never had a Prime Minister as whackadoo as our POTUS.  I've never heard of a Canadian militia that wants to overthrow you government.

So back to the subject at hand- what is Thanksgiving like in Canada?  Here in the U.S. it's all about family gatherings and eating turkey, yams, cranberry sauce and pie until you are completely stuffed and rolling on the floor moaning.

Same there?

And not at all about being thankful for anything :rofl:
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

we had slavery. 

Same there?

Thanksgiving is very much the same as the US.  turkey, ham and all the fixing polished off by a nice piece of pie.

We got plenty of problems with our 1st nations...hell there are many reserves that still do not have clean drinking water.

There was a truth and reconciliation commission that was supposed to help smooth out the problems with our 1st nations...yeah I know...it was just bullshit.

The reason you do not hear about stuff going on in Canada is that is because your media is focused mostly on the US.

The was a little kerfuffle with Tucker Carlson because he mispronounced Ottawa (so everybody thought), the truth is he came closer to the correct pronunciation than we do...LOL.  Ignorance is everywhere.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    Happy thanksgiving!  We had our dinner yesterday.  No big celebration, just a turkey dinner with mashed taters, carrots, cream corn, and stuffing. Lots of leftovers 👍😁

Hope everyone has/had a great Thanksgiving ❤️🇨🇦❤️🇨🇦❤️🇨🇦
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

we had slavery. 

Same there?

Thanksgiving is very much the same as the US.  turkey, ham and all the fixing polished off by a nice piece of pie.

We got plenty of problems with our 1st nations...hell there are many reserves that still do not have clean drinking water.

There was a truth and reconciliation commission that was supposed to help smooth out the problems with our 1st nations...yeah I know...it was just bullshit.

The reason you do not hear about stuff going on in Canada is that is because your media is focused mostly on the US.

The was a little kerfuffle with Tucker Carlson because he mispronounced Ottawa (so everybody thought), the truth is he came closer to the correct pronunciation than we do...LOL.  Ignorance is everywhere.  

Interesting and informative, thanks!

• Options
    Happy thanksgiving!  We had our dinner yesterday.  No big celebration, just a turkey dinner with mashed taters, carrots, cream corn, and stuffing. Lots of leftovers 👍😁

Happy Thanksgiving Canadian style, Fifth! 

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    brianlux said:

Happy Thanksgiving Canadian style, Fifth! 
    Thanks Brian 🤗
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

we had slavery. 

Same there?

Interesting and informative, thanks!

And to be fair to your media.  Our media in Canada spends way to much time on US politics.  The day of the vice presidential debate I went to watch the Canadian new and the 1st 20 minutes was talk of the debate and the fucking fly (i know riveting stuff)....and I could care a less who the US POTUS is...since W they all shit over Canada anyways.  I have no use for your war criminal presidents...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

we had slavery. 

Same there?

yes, absolutely it's mostly the same, celebration wise. the only difference, americans seems to hold t-giving in a higher esteem than christmas, whereas canadians view it as just another holiday to spend time with family and think about our blessings. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Happy Thanksgiving to our friends in the north!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,838
    Happy Thanksgiving, my Canadian friends 🥂
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472

Kiʔsuʔk kykyit, PJ Canadian friends et al.!

Over the k̓upaquǂaqpiʔk (October) long weekend, Pipsqueak played in her second competitive soccer tournament, earning a silver medal. I love seeing her ¢aqananuxu wat̕kum (fly into the ball). I'm so proud of her!!! I was grateful for the privilege our team had to play alongside the Yukon Territory, Whitehorse team, with Kwanlin Dün First Nation team players! I cheered loud for them since they couldn't bring along many ʔa·kuq̓ǂik̓amaǂ (extended family)!  - Ktunaxa words

I hope you all share thanks with a loved one or two today!
    -I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands, the ones I love - E.V.